The ‘Loneliest Road’ Isn’t

Thread: The ‘Loneliest Road’ Isn’t

The ‘Loneliest Road’ Isn’t

As I mentioned in my previous post, I haven't visited this board since 2022. But I didn't miss too much, so hopefully everyone is busy riding! That's what I've been doing...

Last week I rode US-50 through Utah and Nevada. The Nevada portion was nicknamed 'The Loneliest Road in America' in a magazine article decades ago. While traffic was nice and light, the stretch through Western Utah was actually the emptiest and most desolate part. It was a long day (590 miles) but great scenery made it enjoyable. After doing some research, it appears US-6 through Nevada is the real Loneliest Road: 300+ miles with only 2 towns of more than 100 people, and the longest stretch in America (167 miles) without gas. That would be a challenge for my old Valkyrie!

After crossing the Sierra Nevadas it got pretty balmy (102F) in California’s central valley, so I crossed Pacheco Pass over to US-101 where the temp dropped 30 degrees. I stayed in Paso Robles for a few days to join family for some wine tasting. Even though the PCH is closed south of Big Sur, I couldn’t resist riding a portion of it. So I headed up to Ragged Point and backtracked to Morro Bay. Traffic was ultra light thanks to the closure, and it was nice and cool on the coast.

I planned to return home via Arizona and southern Utah, but rain from the hurricane changed my plans. The central valley was even hotter on the return trip, with my dash reading 104+ for two hours. But that changed. I stayed in Sonora and crossed Sonora Pass the next morning to find fresh snow on the roadside. My final night was in Rock Springs, Wyoming where I met a guy from Oklahoma who had recently bought a beautiful ’97 Valkyrie from Attic Rat, who I've met at multiple VRCC 'Inzane' rallies.

California roads were a pleasant surprise. Pavement was in great condition nearly everywhere I rode, and speed limits on the fun stretches (mountains and coast) were high enough to make a speeding ticket unlikely. In stark contrast, the roads here in Colorado are literally crumbling. They were by far the worst I encountered on the entire trip of over 3,200 miles. Sadly, Colorado isn’t what it used to be.

(photos continued due forum limit of 4(!) per post)

The 'Loneliest Road' begins

More mountainous than I expected

I filled up even when I didn't need to
    Last edited by F6Dave; 08-23-2023 at 10:26 AM.

More photos...

One of over 200 wineries in Paso

The west end of the ride

The PCH is one of the best rides anywhere

Even more...

Sonora Pass was beautiful

And steep - a 25% grade!

Very nice Valkyrie from Attic Rat

Looks like a great trip Dave. That is a good looking Valk too. Thanks for taking us along.
    This years Inzane in Roanoke was really wet. Not a complete bust but the wettest I've been to.

Quote Originally Posted by FLsixB View Post
    Looks like a great trip Dave. That is a good looking Valk too. Thanks for taking us along.
    This years Inzane in Roanoke was really wet. Not a complete bust but the wettest I've been to.
    The chrome wheels really make a difference on that Valk. Otherwise it was very original except for the seat, and only had 19,000 miles. Even the saddlebags were Hondaline, with the Valkyrie logo stamped on them. Here's another angle.

Nice pictures.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537