2023 No Frills Rally - Honoring 2wheelsforme

Thread: 2023 No Frills Rally - Honoring 2wheelsforme

2023 No Frills Rally - Honoring 2wheelsforme

This year, on our annual No Frills Rally, we had the honor of helping spread the ashes of Mike Owen, 2wheelsforme on this forum and others. Mike died of of a heart attack halfway through last year's NFR, just as we were saddled up north of Bryce Canyon, heading to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon that day. Ironically, the spreading of the ashes happened on the anniversary of his death; not planned that way, but the symmetry was meaningful in many ways.

We met Karen, Mike's widow, for the first time in person the night before in Kalispell, MT, and had a wonderful dinner with her, telling tales of the big fella on the various rides we had been on with him; at the initial F6B rally in 2018, in Cortez, CO, and NFR events after that. The next morning, it was off to Glacier, and the Going To The Sun Road. While Karen brought riding gear, (including Mike's leather jacket from when they first met, and which he had, ahem..., grown out of), we talked her into following us in her rental car. Due to construction at the Western entrance, we were going to enter the park through the Eastern entrance, which added 50 miles, and in temps as low as 39 degrees.

Even though it was off season, the park was crowded, as we searched for a spot to return a portion of Mike to the earth, in the mountains and curvy roads he loved so much. As luck would have it, a spot pretty far away from the crowds was found, and an impromptu ceremony was held, with Karen free forming her beautiful words, followed by another spreading by some of Mike's friends. Just the right mixture of good words and good laughs, and I'm sure Mike was looking down and laughing along with us. RIP, Mike!

Mike at Dead Horse Point, UT, two days before his passing last year:

Pic from one of the pull offs:

After the spreading of the ashes, with Karen:

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jmdaniel; 09-26-2023 at 06:48 AM.

Thanks for sharing. I had bought Stinger in Dec. 2019 and shortly after got on the F6B forum. Looking at riders I saw that Mike was only a few miles from me. I reached out to him to introduce myself. We had the pleasure of meeting and riding a few rides that he had put together. I didn't know him long but you know how you can tell whose a good guy or what? Well he was just that and he did love riding and his B. I'd call and ask him questions as he did work himself on his B. Mike knew some good roads and lead a few spirited rides around the area. As others I was stunned when I learned he was on his ride last year when he suffered his heart attack. He actually asked me if I'd be able to go but declined as I had just gotten back from a 2 week ride to Montana. I notified some of the folks he had introduced me to from his rides and they were very disappointed.
    RIP Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by FarsideF6B View Post
    Thanks for sharing. I had bought Stinger in Dec. 2019 and shortly after got on the F6B forum. Looking at riders I saw that Mike was only a few miles from me. I reached out to him to introduce myself. We had the pleasure of meeting and riding a few rides that he had put together. I didn't know him long but you know how you can tell whose a good guy or what? Well he was just that and he did love riding and his B. I'd call and ask him questions as he did work himself on his B. Mike knew some good roads and lead a few spirited rides around the area. As others I was stunned when I learned he was on his ride last year when he suffered his heart attack. He actually asked me if I'd be able to go but declined as I had just gotten back from a 2 week ride to Montana. I notified some of the folks he had introduced me to from his rides and they were very disappointed.
    RIP Mike.
    Thanks for the kind words. He certainly did lead "spirited rides". We were in Arkansas in '21, Russellville, specifically, and at the end of one of the day's rides, Mike was in the lead, and taking us on this "alley" that he swore he had picked out when looking at the area before we got together. I think it was more like "somebody's backyard", and I was just waiting to hear the slide of multiple 12 gauge shotguns...

A couple of pics from that week, the first one in Hot Springs:

And waiting for the rest of us to get gas...

RIP. He was amongst friends.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Honda 2007 Shadow
    Honda 2006 VTX
    Honda 2013 F6B