Trip and ride ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trip and ride ?

Trip and ride ?

Have been agonizing over and dreaming of the F6b for quite some time now. Missed my chance on a test ride last fall and am in the dead center of a c o l d Wi. winter right now and it will be a while before another test ride day comes around. Would not be unheard of me buying something before actually trying it out, especially in this case w/having read all I have read and following this forum for quite some time and the excellent reviews that I read, but I would rather ride it before I commit to buying one. I have rode v twins for as long as I have ridden, love that look and the ease, although not on the pocket book, of customizing and the F6b would be a real departure for me.

I have been considering taking a long weekend mini vacation, say to Florida, fly in, rent a bike and do a couple of days of riding, F6b style, and go home w/a better idea of the bike. I have done very little planning on this, am thinking mid Feb, maybe flying into Miami, hopefully having pre rented a F6b and head down to the Keys or wherever. Florida F6b riders, your thoughts.

After doing a little research, I think that it could turn into an expensive test ride/mini vacation, better to wait and put that couple of thousand dollars into the down payment. lol

Well it's a nice thought. but the actual renting of an F6B is gonna be the tough part. None that I know of in Fla but check with EagleRiders.

If your motorcycling experience has been mostly V twins, then F6B will be a big departure. Not a bad thing, just very different. You can hear and read all the opinions you want but only you can decide what's gonna work for you.

I laugh when I read any compare between V twins and a Wing (or F6B). They use terms like it lacks "character," or it's too smooth. Hey a 40's Harley or Indian have "character" in spades, but I wouldn't want to ride 600mi days on it.

For me, I had a fair amount of V Twin experience (6 HD's) but I also had 2 Valks & an 1800 Wing bout 10yrs ago. So I knew exactly what I was getting. A very smooth motor, that pulls hard when you asks it to, but delivers all day riding at any speed without breaking a sweat. This bike also offers a good bit of weather protection, very little motor heat, strong aftermarket & dealer network support, and excellent handling for bike weighting 800+lbs. And not to mention the wow factor.

Good luck in your quest.
    13 F6B Deluxe I've taken the road less traveled, now where the hell am I?
    I don't buy a bike to impress other people, just me !!

I have no doubt that I would love the F6b, to the point that if a good deal come about and I had the money in hand, I would buy it w/out ever riding one. Harley just got paid off, would keep it, if finances allowed, just for the V twin experience when I wanted it.

Quote Originally Posted by FlaMike View Post
    Well it's a nice thought. but the actual renting of an F6B is gonna be the tough part. None that I know of in Fla but check with EagleRiders.

If your motorcycling experience has been mostly V twins, then F6B will be a big departure. Not a bad thing, just very different. You can hear and read all the opinions you want but only you can decide what's gonna work for you.

I laugh when I read any compare between V twins and a Wing (or F6B). They use terms like it lacks "character," or it's too smooth. Hey a 40's Harley or Indian have "character" in spades, but I wouldn't want to ride 600mi days on it.

For me, I had a fair amount of V Twin experience (6 HD's) but I also had 2 Valks & an 1800 Wing bout 10yrs ago. So I knew exactly what I was getting. A very smooth motor, that pulls hard when you asks it to, but delivers all day riding at any speed without breaking a sweat. This bike also offers a good bit of weather protection, very little motor heat, strong aftermarket & dealer network support, and excellent handling for bike weighting 800+lbs. And not to mention the wow factor

Good luck in your quest.
    Similar experience - Good Summary; Best bike I've owned yet and have some really good ones.
    Good Luck.
    J
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul
    In Loving Memory of My Brother
    "Death Waits In The Dark"

2013 F6B Deluxe

Buy in February

Choptop, it sounds like you are thinking in the right direction. I have intentionally bought a lot of my "new" bikes in the month of February, because after the ones the dealers sell for Christmas, either as gifts to loved ones, or as self-gifts, then the folks seeking even better deals after the first of the year, and after seeing the new bikes at the International Bike Shows that travel the country...sales seriously drop off for the dealers in February. People are paying the credit card bills from Christmas purchases, the cold has really set in, and the dealers are doing what they can to keep the doors open...in the Northern States.

Being that you are in Wisconsin, this is all especially true. Give some thought to "working" on a deal in late January...but not making the deal yet. Keep the dealer on the hook for a week or two. Then reel them in...in mid February, when they are really hurting for that sale, and make the best final deal you can.

Also, look at getting a leftm over 2013 model year F6B, as the only difference in the 2014 model year is the Yellow color. If you want a Black one, or a Red one, then a 2013 model year will save you some bucks, and with the 2014 bikes hitting the showroom just about then, they are happy to get rid of that 2013 bike.

If a dealer in your area can't bring down the price to make you happy, we do have sponsors of this forum, like Honda of Russellville, that have been very nice to a lot of forum members, and sell bikes very low, in comparison. It may be worth the short flight to Arkansas to make this deal, and by then the ice will be thawing...and they do pick you up at the airport.

Just food for thought...

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    Choptop, it sounds like you are thinking in the right direction. I have intentionally bought a lot of my "new" bikes in the month of February, because after the ones the dealers sell for Christmas, either as gifts to loved ones, or as self-gifts, then the folks seeking even better deals after the first of the year, and after seeing the new bikes at the International Bike Shows that travel the country...sales seriously drop off for the dealers in February. People are paying the credit card bills from Christmas purchases, the cold has really set in, and the dealers are doing what they can to keep the doors open...in the Northern States.

Being that you are in Wisconsin, this is all especially true. Give some thought to "working" on a deal in late January...but not making the deal yet. Keep the dealer on the hook for a week or two. Then reel them in...in mid February, when they are really hurting for that sale, and make the best final deal you can.

Also, look at getting a leftm over 2013 model year F6B, as the only difference in the 2014 model year is the Yellow color. If you want a Black one, or a Red one, then a 2013 model year will save you some bucks, and with the 2014 bikes hitting the showroom just about then, they are happy to get rid of that 2013 bike.

If a dealer in your area can't bring down the price to make you happy, we do have sponsors of this forum, like Honda of Russellville, that have been very nice to a lot of forum members, and sell bikes very low, in comparison. It may be worth the short flight to Arkansas to make this deal, and by then the ice will be thawing...and they do pick you up at the airport.

Just food for thought...
    My thoughts, kind of exactly. Their has been a '13 ,not apposed to used or '13, at a dealer, 50 miles from me, since the summer. Will start talking to them soon. Have definitely thought about Russellville and may go that route, am kind of interested in the extended Honda warranty.

Choptop, you may consider Bike Week Daytona. They have test rides on almost any bike on the market. I am sure they will have F6B and F6C Valkyrie test rides this year.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    kind of interested in the extended Honda warranty.

Choptop, before you buy that Extended Honda Warranty, you may want to wait and see if this forum can swing a big discount for a group purchase through one of our sponsors, or a friendly dealer, which can save you, and the rest of us a lot of coin.

You have up to three years before you NEED to buy that Extended Warranty, because as long as it is purchased before the original warranty is expired, then the Extended Warranty is simply an extension of the original one.

Unless the selling dealer wants to throw a 4 year Extended Warranty in with the bike, or little or no cost, to make the deal, then you might as well wait.

Hey Choptop,
    I don't know where you are in Wisconsin, but you may want to talk to Jeff at Storm Lake Honda. www.stormlakehonda.com

He's had some great deals and I've bought 2 bikes there, so it may be worth your drive. He will deal over the phone, and you can trust the price he gives you. Do your research for add-on's that you want and he can give you a good price on that too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Always try to positively influence a negative situation. ~author unknown

Mine: '13 Gray Metallic
    The wife's: '13 F6B Black
    (Double) Darksider #487
    Michelin Alpin (current)
    Battle Axe BT45
    Proud to be a FREE American and I thank the Vets that did it for me!!!

'08 Titanium Wing
    '79 Yamaha 750 Special
    '78 Honda 750, '72 Honda 350, '73 Suzuki 250, '75 Suzuki 185, '72 Suzuki 90