one take on 6-2-6 midrange "drone" - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: one take on 6-2-6 midrange "drone"

Quote Originally Posted by Dfinkelsteinmd View Post
    Like many other F6B riders, I have removed the baffles from my Cobra 6er's and noticed the drone at 2900-3200 rpm, especially on the highway when there is an overpass or high wall on the side of the road. Because I love the sound of the pipes at idle and under hard acceleration, I simply avoid the "drone range" by watching the tach. I also installed the shorter Lee Bailey windscreen as I like to feel and hear the wind more than the stereo at higher speeds.

Functionally, it is very easy to stay over 3200 rpm in the right gear in most situations that we encounter here in NorCal where the twisties can be managed in 3rd or 4th gear and the highways always allow a brisker than posted speed. This is good because the 55-65 mph range puts me smack in the middle of the "drone zone, or DZ in OD, so I just downshift until I can break out of the traffic jam that keeps me in the DZ.

Unless someone discovers a DIY fix that is cheap, I'll just burn a little more gas by keeping the rev's up and the drone down.
    I am thinking of removing the baffles next spring and try it for a little while...Does removing them affect performance in any way that you have noticed?...I loved the sound of the old 6-into-6 Cobra's that were on earlier model Valkyrie's...How does the sound compare to the noise levels from baffles in vs. baffles out.....I like good sounding pipes, but not irritating sounds...Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    I am thinking of removing the baffles next spring and try it for a little while...Does removing them affect performance in any way that you have noticed?...I loved the sound of the old 6-into-6 Cobra's that were on earlier model Valkyrie's...How does the sound compare to the noise levels from baffles in vs. baffles out.....I like good sounding pipes, but not irritating sounds...Thanks
    Hi... I'm very new to this board but was interested in in giving a responce . In short ... If you take the baffles out there is even less restriction of air flow and noise.... Keep the baffles close for reinstallation once you 've ridden down the high way for longer than 20 minutes.
    As far as performance ... stock pipes after dyno break-in reached 101 hp. Looking to redyno with Cobra's just after 4 k service

Sound is better; performance unchanged.

Although I have not tried the unplugged pipes on the dyno, the bike is plenty fast and just sounds faster with the baffles removed. Since they come out with a single screw, I have to believe that Cobra guys in white coats planned for this option. You may be bothered by the drone but I am either too deaf (my KTM RC8R with Akra exhaust is louder) or perhaps the drone does not cut through my Schuberth helmet catching the breeze from my stubby windscreen. Whatever the reason, I love the sound and just try to manage the RPM's to stay out of the DZ.

Try it yourself and you'll see or hear the difference..

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    I loved the sound of the old 6-into-6 Cobra's that were on earlier model Valkyrie's...
    Yeppers, they do have an appeal, but one will never get a 6-6 sound from 6-2-6 pipes, especially not when the '2' portion of that equation appears to create the drone.

I know I'm evil-thinkin, but going from 2 - 6 just seems, eh, kinda like a multi-exit 'tip' of sorts,,,

http://www.amazon.com/Setter-95-9904.../dp/B000CCFJWK

I'm sure it has the ability to tweak the tone a bit, but what it's given to work with is the key.

Palamides, I hope you follow through with the dyno run and post the results, I really believe the 626 will make less horsepower then stock. Thank you.
    Jakec

Quote Originally Posted by jakec View Post
    Palamides, I hope you follow through with the dyno run and post the results, I really believe the 626 will make less horsepower then stock. Thank you.
    Jakec
    Thanks guys for the responses...I to would definitely be interested in a dyno run posting with the results of stockers vs. the Cobra's with or wihout the baffels....