New Corbin Smuggler/ Russell Day-Long Seat Redo
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Corbin Smuggler/ Russell Day-Long Seat Redo

New Corbin Smuggler/ Russell Day-Long Seat Redo

First, let me say that I don't think the OEM Honda F6B seat is bad; however, I needed some additional lower back support and wanted more of a custom look. I added the Utopia backrest and Pedro's luggage rack last season and liked them. But like most things motorcycle-related, good enough is never really enough.

After reading the hundreds of seat-related posts on the forum discussing the pros and cons of the OEM Honda F6B seat, Ultimate, Mustang, Corbin, Sargent, Russell and other custom seats, I decided on a combination approach. I really liked the looks of the Corbin "Smuggler" modular seat the first time I saw it. My wife has little interest in motorcycling, so I really felt like I would not miss the huge passenger seating area and I love the trunk compartment. Yet, Corbin seats (I've had others) can be stiff and a little uncomfortable for some, and the Corbin modular system is anything but cheap.

On the other side of the coin are the Russell Cycle Products Day-Long seats. RDL seats are clearly the hands down favorite for long distance riders and their customer service is great. I pestered a number of forum members who advocate both (thanks BillydaFinn, MSGT-R, Hook, Miles and others) for their thoughts. I finally decided that I would copy Hook's approach. I sent the Corbin seat to Russell with very specific directions. I also sent them the Corbin trunk rest. I added the heating system. You would understand if you lived in Wisconsin. It arrived last night, so you know what I was doing well into the evening!

Although we finally woke up to a morning with above zero temperatures today, I still can't do much more than sit on the bike and dream. The seat is perfect-- it really exceeds my wildest expectations. It looks to me like the RDL hype is very well deserved. I'm not sure what the problems were with Corbin seats and removing the side panels, but my panels pull off normally. The Corbin paint is perfect (in contrast to Honda's.)

I've attached several photos. I did give something up here, and that is space to bungee cord on another soft bag for long rides. I don't dare lay anything on the smuggler trunk's perfect paint, and Pedro's luggage rack can no longer be attached. I'm thinking that maybe a rear trailer hitch luggage rack could be the answer (but would that block the tail lights?) Oh well, this long winter isn't over yet, so there is more time for tinkering!

Wow, that looks super comfy!

Just a thought but you could add a trunk rack to the lid of the Corbin thing. You'd have to drill holes in it though.

Beautiful, and truly innovative thinking. Well done.

I wouldn't.. the lid only has two attachment points and wouldn't be stable enough with a load.

Better to put clear vinyl sheet over the finish and use the bungies if you really must.

Great job Bobby, I hope you continue to like it.
    Please don't spook the road-sheep.

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Looks like a Lazy-Boy, and I mean that in the most positive, respectful way possible!!!! (i.e. Gawd that looks comfy!!!)

Very nice !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! in 6 months please post if/ when you took the seat off was any paint under the seat damaged...trying to find out if I can go your route and back and forth for two up ???

Thanks!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    trying to find out if I can go your route and back and forth for two up ???

Thanks!

YES, this is a modular seat.
    The driver seat stays and the trunk portion is removed and replaced with the 2-up seat.

WHAT Steve said is VERY IMPORTANT, place 3M clear bra material over your motorcycle paint or frame ..... anywhere the seat touches the bike otherwise the constant rubbing or vibrations will permanently damage the surface on your bike. Yes the seat will hide the scuffs, however if you decide to sell the bike with the original seat so that you can sell your Corbin separately to recover some of your investment, there could be damage caused by the Corbin that the original seat may not be able to hide.

By The Way ... GREAT looking seat, well done.

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

Steve, although I also have the Corbin passenger seat component to exchange with the trunk, I am keeping my original seat with just that in mind. I don't think it will be a problem; the original seat/ grab handles cover approximately the same paint area as the Corbin trunk and the trunk underside doesn't actually come into contact with anything but the bolt holes. But time will tell.

Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Looks awesome DB24, good stuff!