Air Conditioning (and heat) for motorcycles!

Thread: Air Conditioning (and heat) for motorcycles!

Cool Air Conditioning (and heat) for motorcycles!

Attachment 3881

Well, it was bound to happen, somebody finally came out with the holy grail of motorcycle riding, the real air conditioning (also produces heat)!

Company is Entrosys from Israel. They sell in USA through:

www.bikeairusa.com

There are also a couple of nice test rides posted on their website from Motorcycle Sport Touring Association. Basically, it says it works as advertised.

So, in a nutshell it is a true air conditioning. It utilizes solid state technology which is different from regular air conditioning used in cars and homes. Apparently it does not drip water! It is a universal design, seems well engineered and should easily fit on the back seat of F6B or maybe the rear rack. It has to be run to the battery, than the air is pushed through insulated plastic hose to rider. It comes with a special vest which has air channels in it, so air conditioned (or heated) air gets circulated against the body. The rider needs to wear a regular jacket over it.

Here are the links to reviews:

http://nebula.wsimg.com/21b414e3fc9a...&alloworigin=1

http://nebula.wsimg.com/0f95f25a5fc1...&alloworigin=1

I saw these on internet in 2010, but nothing happened until now. It seems like it took them a few years to engineer it properly.

Bad news is the price, msrp is $1499, however in one review it says if you call to order and say you saw it on MSTA review you may get it for $999. Not sure if that's true, though.

Could be the ultimate farkle in 90+ degree weather, or even in colder climate as machine also produces heat!

Let me know what you guys think

The following two pictures are of earlier prototypes and they don't show the current cover used in mounting the unit:

Attachment 3882

Attachment 3883

I like the concept but seems like kind of a hassle every time you get on off the bike and the price is a steep.

I bought a Veskimo a couple of years ago. http://www.veskimo.com/ It is a similar concept but circulates cooled water instead of air. Basically a cooler with ice and a 12 volt pump and vest. It worked fine until the ice melts then you have to recharge it. It was ok riding back and forth to work but on a trip you would have to stop too often and it took an extra few minutes every time. Anyway I sold it on ebay and don't miss it. The one thing that I think would really be neat is if they cold make an air conditioned helmet. Even with the Veskimo at 105 degrees your body was cool but your head was still hot. You can't cool down your blood to make a difference (you freeze your skin) like you can warm it up with a heated jacket.

Short story: I am not a prospect.

Yeah, I saw Veskimo too but too much work keeping ice cold, draining the water from cooler etc. Not a real AC, just circulates cooler air over ice over body and does not last very long as ice melts. Also fairly bulky. There are some other copy cats out there but same design as Veskimo. I also saw a misting device, which works by installing misting vents on dashboard which spray cold mist onto rider by pushing the button. The water reservoir needs to be recharged, too.
    But nothing is really an air conditioner.

Product video shows a simple clamp at the belt line is all one needs to 'snap' in order to use it or unsnap to dismount, it doesn't seem difficult at all. One can leave the unit on the bike or unzip the case which converts into carrying backpack for the unit. Probably simply put it in a saddlebag on F6B while parked at Daytona Bikeweek.

This one is a real AC. Seems incredibly compact and light. In addition it produces heat, too. Seems easy to move from bike to bike if own several as long bikes have enough wattage to run it. It could be great for a passenger, too. I can see someone installing this in a removable trunk (with some holes for ventilation and opening for a hose hook up) for their passenger ( it may be too far for a rider but I don't know).

It has a potential to extend the riding season well into the heat/cold months. Living and riding in Southeast my biggest issue is heat and humidity. When temps are above 90 degrees it gets uncomfortable as air itself is hot. These temps are very common where I live and ride during the summer months and beyond.

Maybe vest can be rigged to send some cold air into the neck and face, I don't know.
    I also wish the price is less, kind of steep. I would also prefer that the case and hose insulation was in black and not gray/silver color.

I'm not sold on it yet, just thinking about it. It sure would be nice not to sweat so much in hot summer months.

Looks great from what I see so far. But at $1,500 a pop, I think I'll stick with my LD Comfort underwear for cooling. Then again, I've ridden up to only 105 degrees with the LD Comfort.

Yeah, price is high, they seem to be very proud of their product. In one review I listed above (Florida Chapter of MSTA) it states that it is sold at discount of about $1200 but if one referres to MSTA the selling price is $999. So the true price is much less than the one listed. God knows I've spent more than a thousand bucks on bike accessories in the past. Or maybe they'll entertain a group buy price? Or maybe BikeMP3 can become a distributor and give us a decent deal?

I would also like to see it in action before buying, maybe they'll bring it to Daytona Bikeweek and demonstrate it, that for me would be the best. I would definitely like to test it.

I am a former hvac guy and if it operates below the dew point it makes water -- you can use waste evap to cool the blower motor etc but generally its not cost efficient. those who dont live in the tropic can benefit greatly benefit from simple evaporative cooling of water (aka a swamp cooler -- ironic as they dont work in the swamp)