HOR Custom Paint Option - Input Needed - Page 7
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: HOR Custom Paint Option - Input Needed

Quote Originally Posted by 1951vbs View Post
    Elin,
    It will be interesting to get your evaluation of the "water-based" clear as compared to a urethane clear. I worry that instead of having black paint that srcatches easy you with have clear coat that scatches easy.
    I too would be concerned, not so much with softness, but adhesion and clarity. Water based products have to have a catalyst to cure / harden.
    Some use extremely toxic substances like aziridine to accomplish this. I would like to know what the Rust oleum products use. There could even be a possible issue with incompatibility? Best as you say to test on something else first then even try a scrap panel made from the same plastics.

Urethane and other poly type based products are proven and fairly solvent resistant which are very important in case of a spill when refueling or a splash that always seem to happen. These can also be applied over water based base coats.

Wonder if there is a paint code for the matte black stuff on the F6B already? I'd like the whole bike matte black with the smoked glasswork, and a set of the RUSH black pipes with tips.

Quote Originally Posted by F6BPDX View Post
    Hey everyone,

I have been in contact with the folks at Honda of Russellville and need input from you guys and gals.

I am sure most of us are familiar with HOR's signature series paint, but not all of us had the option initially of buying from them, so we are discussing a possible new option:

Step 1: Choose a paint color.
    Step 2: HOR paints a new complete set of Tupperware that color.
    Step 3: Schedule a ride in to have HOR professionally swap all existing plastics for new same day, they would then keep the old plastics to offset costs. (I would imagine this could also be a mail swap though that defeats the instant and pro parts of the equation)

The HOR guys are interested in offering this service but would like input on A) Is this something you would be interested in either now or in the future? B) What do you feel would be a fair price for this type of service?

I feel like this would accomplish letting folks get new paint without the worry of wether or not the tear down and reassembly would be done right, and also get rid of the long downtime usually involved.

Thoughts?

Moderator / V-twin Gobbler GiddyupF6B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mercator1 View Post
    Wonder if there is a paint code for the matte black stuff on the F6B already? I'd like the whole bike matte black with the smoked glasswork, and a set of the RUSH black pipes with tips.
    Honda only has one flat black matte color. I am getting my entire F6 done in this color right now INCLUDING all the parts that were already black matte from the factory. The dealer wasn't sure if the parts would all match perfectly if I just did all the black gloss Tupperware so I went ahead and did all 82 parts Honda matte black with a matte clear. My question was if there was only one matte black from Honda wouldn't it all match anyway? There was an uncertainty so I just had them do it all. They are starting too put it back together tomorrow. Now I need to decide whether I want to keep my black chrome exhaust that color or have it powder coated.....time will tell. I have a brand new set of black chrome pipes still sitting in a box and a black chrome set on my bike already so if I go the powder coat route I will send the new set to get done so I have no more down time. Honda also has a matte dark gray which looks nice as well.

Quote Originally Posted by GiddyupF6B View Post
    Honda only has one flat black matte color. I am getting my entire F6 done in this color right now INCLUDING all the parts that were already black matte from the factory. The dealer wasn't sure if the parts would all match perfectly if I just did all the black gloss Tupperware so I went ahead and did all 82 parts Honda matte black with a matte clear. My question was if there was only one matte black from Honda wouldn't it all match anyway? There was an uncertainty so I just had them do it all. They are starting too put it back together tomorrow. Now I need to decide whether I want to keep my black chrome exhaust that color or have it powder coated.....time will tell. I have a brand new set of black chrome pipes still sitting in a box and a black chrome set on my bike already so if I go the powder coat route I will send the new set to get done so I have no more down time. Honda also has a matte dark gray which looks nice as well.
    I'd be interested in the swap for a reasonable price & really like the matte black w/clear going on here. Are you going to share photos?
    Thx, Buzz

Quote Originally Posted by GiddyupF6B View Post
    There is a post on here of a bike wrapped in matte black vinyl, and it is probably not a 100% match, but with a flat black, you can't really tell like you would with another color in gloss. What did Honda use the matte dark gray on?

Victory had a blue ice color in 2008 that is my favorite, but I don't know how it would look with the black parts. The super steel gray from the same year would look great, though.Attachment 4400Attachment 4401

Quote Originally Posted by mercator1 View Post
    There is a post on here of a bike wrapped in matte black vinyl, and it is probably not a 100% match, but with a flat black, you can't really tell like you would with another color in gloss. What did Honda use the matte dark gray on?

Victory had a blue ice color in 2008 that is my favorite, but I don't know how it would look with the black parts. The super steel gray from the same year would look great, though.Attachment 4400Attachment 4401
    Contacted HOR and asked about painting matte black. Said they would for $18885 as a signature series. I assume that's the usual HR signature series features (windshield, lenses, etc.).

Anyone know where you can get redline motorcycle tires?

Bumping this thread to see if HOR ever provided a group price for painting our F6Bs? With the way my stock paint is going after only 3 months of ownership I would definitely consider driving to HOR in AR and have them swap my stock Tupperware with newly painted Tupperware if the price was right.

Quote Originally Posted by XKnight View Post
    Bumping this thread to see if HOR ever provided a group price for painting our F6Bs? With the way my stock paint is going after only 3 months of ownership I would definitely consider driving to HOR in AR and have them swap my stock Tupperware with newly painted Tupperware if the price was right.
    Never did get a price, they just sort of stopped replying to me after initially seeming interested.

Quote Originally Posted by F6BPDX View Post
    Never did get a price, they just sort of stopped replying to me after initially seeming interested.
    That's too bad since I think that as our F6Bs get older the need to repaint will get greater and there is money to be made for HOR or any other large dealer that can offer an in and out same day paint service. Most of us won't think twice about riding 1000+ miles over a couple days for something like this.

I remember back in my M109R days there was somebody offering an exchange of stock tins for painted ones on eBay. Of course you had to do the uninstall/reinstall yourself. Maybe someone will start a cottage industry just for us...
    Ride to work, work to ride
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]