ZDDPlus Additive
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ZDDPlus Additive

ZDDPlus Additive

Welcome!!! and now that you are here...I would like to pick your brain on... http://zddplus.com/ I did order/have four bottles and will be adding it on my next oil change.... any thoughts ???
    Attached Images Attached Images
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Steve, you could start by telling us why you bought it / why you already have some.

Better yet,,, try it out and let those who are perhaps unfamiliar with it hear of your firsthand results.

It seems to be for older cars, why would you need it for F6B? I'm not sure of the benefit.

From manufacturers website:

Today, ZDDP has been reduced in practically all automotive engine oils, rendering them less suitable for use with older engines with non-roller lifters. ZDDPlusTM is the ONLY antiwear component which re-establishes the ZDDP levels our classic car’s engines were designed for, while allowing the car owner to use the base oil of their choice.

Doesn't the Owners Manual say no additives?

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    There is a lengthy thread about ZDDP on another board.

As you can imagine, there are folks with questions/concerns/comments in that thread similar to what you might see in any oil/tire thread. Some agree, some don't. Could be considered 'controversial'.

The individual who started the thread on the other forum is no stranger to Wings, but he's only just arrived here on this board,,, as in 2-3 days ago.

I'm sure he would be willing to share his thoughts/experiences on the matter,,,,,,,,, once the subject got rolling.

Of course, if no one is indicating they know anything about ZDDP, no one is indicating they have any experience with ZDDP, and some folks are already indicating they wouldn't use ZDDP, would any new member feel like he needed to jump up on a soapbox and explain it?

I wouldn't choose that subject as my first discussion on a new board,,,

--------------------------------------------------------------

As someone who's read most of that thread on another board,,,,,,,

ZDDP, an effective anti-wear agent mostly used for preventing tappet (and similar types of) wear, is being added to the crankcase with many folks indicating smoother shifting. As Wing transmissions are not 100% 'bulletproof',,, it is hoped that the additive may also help extend the life of the transmission. Not everyone who's tried is 'feels' smoother shifting, and as you can imagine, it's hard to quantify / qualify exactly how much, if any, extended transmission life is gained.

ZDDP has been rumored to have, under certain conditions, the potential to poison your catalytic converters . (This is another subject matter that one could write about for months and not everyone would agree upon 100% either)

So there's 'the tip of the iceberg',,,

Myself???? I'm not going to run out any buy any for my 6, but I wouldn't care if someone else used it.

Hopefully any 'ZDDP discussion's' on this board will start, and STAY, open-minded.

My problem is I am a impulse buyer.... I just came to that realization a few days ago when someone on this board posted that they were.... well there I said it...have no fear I am not in remission... my only problem is I have no one to say I can not buy " it "...whether it is a Bushtec trailer or snake oil.... having said all that...some folks believe the government keeps taking things out of oil that would or has been helpful, from what I read I felt this might be helpful....... I got shot down for not giving a new guy time for hugs and hand holding before asking his professional opinion...... sooooo now I am waiting for an opinion...flame suit on!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Oh Lord, looks like this thread is not going away..........so let me put my 2 cents in. Honda is the number one selling mc on this planet, one reason their engines are rock solid. Have you ever seen a report about an engine failure due to oil/filter type/brand, no. We all know someone with a Wing that has over 100,000 miles and they always used the cheapest oil/filter they can find. The bulk of Honda engines are in third world countries what kind of oil do they use, they seem to do just fine. So it appears the oil issue may be about transmissions. Honda has sold over a half million Wings, out of that number how many bad tranny's? Guess we will never know that number, but I will say a very few percentage. Several years ago a dealer that I was friendly with had the city contract to work on police/sheriff Wings. About once or twice a year they would get a tranny job on one of these bikes and just about every time the officer that rode the bike admitted to his abuse of the machine. I bought a new 2009 Wing(broke it in per the book) and it used about a quart of oil every oil change, that rarely happens on a Honda engine..........but I just got a bad one, shik happens..........but, after about 18k miles something seated because it quit burning oil.
    Bottom line, its your bike put whatever you want in it and ride on!

ZDDP

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    Welcome!!! and now that you are here...I would like to pick your brain on... http://zddplus.com/ I did order/have four bottles and will be adding it on my next oil change.... any thoughts ???
    For inquisitive minds! This is one of the best articles on "motor oil" and specifically discusses ZDDP! It may shed some light on the subject If the ZDDPlus is a "peace of mind" issue for you, go for it

http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG7...r/tech/oil.htm

My two cents is, if you feel good about using the stuff and have the extra bucks to waste, go for it!!..I personally have never had any type of engine failure from not using additives of any kind or brand...As said above, if it feels good for you then add it to your oil...I will stick with Honda oil and regular changes as I have for over 40 years without any engine/transmission issues.....

Quote Originally Posted by bob109 View Post
    For inquisitive minds! This is one of the best articles on "motor oil" and specifically discusses ZDDP! It may shed some light on the subject If the ZDDPlus is a "peace of mind" issue for you, go for it

http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG7...r/tech/oil.htm
    "This link is not authorized by Yahoo."

Verrrrry interesting!

$.02
    If this is a zinc additive it is now only allowed in "racing" oils. It would definitely have an adverse effect in cats. If that doesn't get your attention, call your Honda dealer and get a quote on replacing them. A plugged cat will definitely slow you down and lead to other internal issues.
    Remember when STP was the golden solution to all engine problems???

Change the oil, change the filter and Ride On!