Opinion: Repair or replace? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opinion: Repair or replace?

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar

I have plugged several tires as long as the puncture is not too close to the sidewall or in the sidewall.

I have never used the following product but it looks like a solution ....

The demonstration is on a FRONT tire, that is impressive to me

http://youtu.be/4tQ6hFqifE8

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Due to location, it sounds like a patch may work. Won't really know until tire is removed from rim and damage completely inspected. Even then, many MC shops will not patch due to liability.

Would I attempt a repair on my MC tires? Maybe, but it depends on the puncture. (I'm partial to the 'sticky rope' plugs. Carry those and a small compressor in my saddlebags all the time)

As others have said, its really your call.

Quote Originally Posted by austin_tech View Post
    Thoughts? I don't have a lift in my garage.

Attachment 4136
    Hi there, if you're asking, I would definitely buy and mount a new tire. What's a 100 bucks or so? Have the old tire plugged by a shop and keep it for a spare if you have the space in your garage.

Keep in mind the shop will have to examine it and advise if it can even be repaired. A knowledgeable tire tech will give you the straight goods.
    Floats Like a Butterfly, Stings Like a "B"
    What does the B stand for? B-Courteous. B-Safe. B-Seen.....B-CNU on the road!

I also keep a "Stop and Go" plug kit in my saddlebag but would use a plug only to get back home and change the tire.

If you do want to reuse it and the nail went straight in.... a plug should work as good as a patch from the inside and no need to take your tire off. It would be good practice to plug it anyway and see how it comes out. If you ride around town and not too many trips you could use it for a few thousand more miles and then replace it at say 8000. The rear tire wears faster than the front anyway so then next time you could replace both tires.

Rear panel removal

Anyone else recommend removing the rear pannier panel to pull the tire? How hard is it? Tips?

+1 Ride on !!! lay bike over and remove the tire from the side….. if it is winter and you have nothing else to do then why not take the bike apart,,,,
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    +1 Ride on !!! lay bike over and remove the tire from the side….. if it is winter and you have nothing else to do then why not take the bike apart,,,,
    Ok, pulled rear panel off (along with the bracket and another component) and pulled the tire out the back up on center stand. It was easy, I watched the vids of laying the old girl on her side and I'm glad I didn't go that route.

New tire from dealer, another Bridgestone stock. Just came back from ride. Easy to remove/replace tire for any of you who haven't done this yet!!! Thanks to all for inputs. I did consider the plug/patch route and checked out options at the local auto shops, but I like the peace of mind with the solid tire.

Hey that fell off my truck will u mail it back
    Ok he's done

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post

I have plugged several tires as long as the puncture is not too close to the sidewall or in the sidewall.

I have never used the following product but it looks like a solution ....

The demonstration is on a FRONT tire, that is impressive to me

http://youtu.be/4tQ6hFqifE8
    This looks pretty cool! Website says $30 for two bottles. So, if I get this correctly, this stuff not only "balances" your tires, it also seals them in the event of a puncture -- temporarily until you can deal with the issue and avoid a tow.

Anyone have any experience with Ride-On? Worth a look?

Repair Tire

I have patched a tire on my 1500 never had a problem for the life of the tire,
    but on the f6b on the rear 500 miles I had a nail center of tread I replace it
    just made me feel safer. But as Zackabilly said a good tire monitoring system
    will let you plug your tire because you can always monitor the pressure.