Upgrade weekend for Motozeke

Thread: Upgrade weekend for Motozeke

Upgrade weekend for Motozeke

I've been swamped so far in 2014, very little time to ride and even less time for upgrades, so the boxes had just been piling up as I ordered what I needed in advance of the start of my touring season in mid-March. Finally after the 3rd or 4th week of business travel I decided I was going to take a brain break and focus on starting my upgrades this weekend. Here's what I knocked out:

* EC Power Plate
    * Powerlet heated gear with wireless controller
    * Revco kickstand pad
    * Bike MP3 luggage rack
    * Superbrace
    * 2-port USB power outlet for left cubby
    * RAM mount for GPS
    * mount for Adaptiv radar detector
    * Baker Hand Wings

This was the first time I'd done any real work on this bike, and I noticed a few things:

• There's lots of room to fit stuff on this bike; it's nice for a change not to drive myself crazy trying to figure out how to route a cable or hide something.
    • The Electrical Connections instructions are either incomplete or they assume that the user will know where to ground every accessory circuit. I'm not a complete ninny when it comes to electrical but I couldn't figure out how to do it except to run every negative lead to the negative battery terminal. That can't be right.
    • It is a real bitch and a deuce to detach the meter panel connector; I was at it for over an hour, pressing exactly where the YouTube video said and getting nowhere. My finger is still sore.
    • I found myself just guessing as to how to run cabling from the battery area up to the handlebars. After scratching my head, shining the flashlight around and trying to interpret the shop manual, I decided that I would let the technicians do it. I know that would horrify some of you who must think I have money to burn, but I know my limits.

Took the bike for a shakedown ride, and yep--the Hand Wings really work, in fact better than I even hoped they might. Same with the Superbrace; I could feel the handling tightened up and enjoyed the increased stability on the freeway. I remember I used to be able to wiggle the handlebars at speed, I could really feel the flex in the forks. So much more snug now.

As part of my shakedown ride, I planned on swinging by the Apple Store to get a new laptop as my current model is getting long in the tooth and is running out of room. I swung by the cycle store to pick up some ties, figuring that it was doubtful the laptop box (a 13" MacBook Pro) was going to fit in a pannier. I needn't have worried; the right pannier gobbled it up no problem. There's more room in these in some dimensions than even the top case on my Multistrada--and forget about the Italian man purses that pass for panniers on that bike.

I got home from my ride and told my wife--again--how much I love this bike. I can't wait for touring season to start, I just know this is where the F6B is really going to shine.

Nice list of mods you did.I am still knee deep in my mods but coming along smooth
    Ride it like you stole it