riding position
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: riding position

riding position

Having not had benefit of a test ride, and won't for a while unless I fly to Orlanda and hijack Steve 0080's bike for a weekend, thanks again for the offer, and chomping at the bit to get one, I have a concern. Over the last couple of days I read about (1) person selling his F6b because of the "mid
    rider" position and another posting today that he struggles w/the riding position. I have had a couple of Roadstar Warriors that I have either modified the seat threw shaving material out or buying a new seat to get that "riding in" the bike rather than on top of it, if you know what I mean. I kind of sit "on" my Harley, unlike the Warriors I had. Is this how the F6b feels or is it a sitting to close or to far back. Your thoughts please.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    I kind of sit "on" my Harley, unlike the Warriors I had. Is this how the F6b feels or is it a sitting to close or to far back. Your thoughts please.
    My thoughts are you must sit/ride one to make your own assessments.

If it helps at all I'm just shy of 6.0' with a 32" inseam. The bike seating and handlebar rake, and wearing recreational sole riding boots feels natural to me all....day...long.....without any modifications at all. My Harley experiences are too far back for me to make any ergonomic comparisons to those machines.
    Floats Like a Butterfly, Stings Like a "B"
    What does the B stand for? B-Courteous. B-Safe. B-Seen.....B-CNU on the road!

Only real way to know is go sit/ride one somewhere...I am 5'9" and have no issues at all with the riding position..My son is 6' and he also has no issues with the riding position..I came off a Victory Vision, which really sets you low, and thought I might not like the riding height/postion on the F6B...So far no problems at all and I love the thing with the stock seat and bars.....

Individual preference, to be sure.

When I first sat on one (after owning an '05 Wing), I knew that I'd need a passenger backrest, first of all. The stock seat moved me back slightly (from what I was used to), and I'd say "in" the seat, rather than on it.

I'm 6'2", 190lbs, 33" inseam, and needed risers added. I also went with a Corbin seat and rider's backrest, which moved moved me slightly forward (maybe an inch). I still have loads of leg room and can flat foot when I come to a stop. The stock seat seemed just slightly lower, making it even easier to come to a stop with both feet flat on the ground.

I'm always looking for ways to find the "holy grail" of comfort, as most of my previous posts on this forum will attest.
    -Tim
    2009 BMW R1200RT
    2013 Honda F6B HR Signature Series (born 7/17/13; sold 6/25/16)
    2011 AB Trailer
    2005 Honda GL1800 Portland Gray Metallic (Gone), 2005 Honda VTX 1300R (Gone), 2004 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Gone)
    Darksider #858: Kumho Ecsta 195/55/16 with Dynabeads/Dunlop E3
    IBA #47379
    GWRRA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Myriad of Cornucopias

Choptop, it was three months ago that you started the conversation of....pricing ...on these bikes, and where might be a good place to buy, based on prices. Today, you find yourself asking whether the "fit" of the bike would be right for you, or not. Yet, lo and behold, you have not taken an F6B for a ride yet.

I think we can all agree that it is wise to check out a large purchase item, before shelling out all those clams for the new bike. And in todays' world, reading all that one can on a forum like this, and asking specific questions, is indeed a good way to check things out. However, without having actually ridden one, and finding out if you like the bike, if the feel is right for you, if the seating is right for you, or close enough that it can be modified to be perfect for you, then...prior to doing the riding thing....all anyone can do is speculate on whether an F6B would/should/could be your next new bike.

There are a myriad of cornucopias of questions that can be asked, and even more answers that can be given, but none of that is going to subplant the tried and true practice of actually taking one for a ride, and getting some seat time on these bikes. I would not give it a second thought about one or two or even three riders that are selling their bikes, because the bike did not fit them the way they wanted. We ALL come from a wide and varied background of riding experience, and what "feels" right to us, compared to the next bike, and the next person.

I would suggest....albeit politely...that before doubting the fit of this bike to "your" body...make every effort to get out there and RIDE one, and then you will have a lot of questions answered. The way that my bike fits me and the way I sit on my bike, will be quite different from the way that the next rider fits on their bike. We all know this, so I would not give any credence or value to a few people not liking the bike's fit to their body, when 99.314159 % of the folks on this forum LOVE these bikes, and are able to fit the bike to their own needs.

Ride, my young strange fellow........RIDE !

Smile

Their will be no rides, in Wi, for at least 4 months. I would not be surprised at all that I will buy one w/out riding it and it won't be a problem, nothing that adjusting the bars and massaging the seat won't rectify. Just reading what was posted by (2) separate owners got the old brain thinking. I am appx 5'9 and 225lbs w/a 31-32" inseam, so kinda right in the norm. A few years back I installed a 280 swing arm/tire on my Warrior over the winter and by the time spring came along and I hadn't ridden the bike for 5 months after a couple of hours the 280 felt like I had been riding on it forever. So I agree, riding one before I buy would be the thing to do, but being the impulse buyer that I am and having it their to look at and decide what I want to do w/it over the winter are foremost on my mind right now. Now that Yhis thought has entered my mind, I will take note, the next time I sit on one, how it feels. Maybe I can get a hungry salesperson to push me around the showroom.

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    I spent a lot of time sittin on one at a local dealer. Not near as cramped as a regular wing.

Taller folks may not like 'em,,, Taller folks may not like a lot of things not directly made for their stature, but many taller folks ride regular wings, so ???

I never road 'straight up' on a bike until the 6. Always feet forward/cruiser. Took a little while to 'adjust'. replaced the pegs w/mini boards and have pretty much forgotten what 'feet forward' is. (Hard to keep good posture when riding feet-forward, 'butt-draggin-the-ground' anyway!!!)

I was worried about mid riding prior to purchase. Didn't turn out to be much of an obstacle after all.

(Did not test ride before purchase. 6-0 30 inseam)

Go to a local dealer that has a 6 on the showroom floor and have one of the salesman put the 6 on its center stand. You'll have the bike in a upright and stable condition and can move your a$$ all over the seat and use the foot pegs, shift lever and brake pedal till your hearts content. It may sound silly but, like buying a pair of shoes, you'll have at least tried a 6 on, getting a feel for the bike and the position of the hand and foot controls. Taking the bike off the center stand you'll get a feel for that procedure and will be able to check if you're flat footed on the floor. Although not a actual ride, the procedure will allow you to evaluate/answer several of the questions you have raised. What have you got too loose

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Their will be no rides, in Wi, for at least 4 months. Maybe I can get a hungry salesperson to push me around the showroom.

I would tell that salesperson in Wisconsin....pull out the snowblower....have someone run it all over the parking lot out front, and then down the road for about 10 miles. Then...quickly...before more snow falls....have someone else following the snowblower with a leafblower, so the 2nd person can defrost the roads and clean off as much icy particles as possible. Then...quickly now...jump on that F6B, and ride.

bob109, why didn't I think of that. Miles, snowballs chance in hell.