Cobra 6 Pipes - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Cobra 6 Pipes

Welcome to drone town

Well I got my pipes installed. I put them on at work so I could hear them on my way home. I fought with them until I figured out how they go on. They sound great at idle and while twisting the throttle but all the way home it was drone city. I thought since I wear a half helmet it wouldn't be noticeable but it didn't help. My other complaint is how they fit. It's hard to get the lengths to match and one side sits noticeably lower than the other side. Also, there's only the cobra name on one side. I think it should be on both sides.

So when I got home I was all excited to pull the baffles to hear how that sounds. No bueno. The baffles are so rusted they won't budge. Anyone know how I can get them out? Here's a few pics.

Attachment 4576

Attachment 4577

Attachment 4578

Attachment 4579

WD40 and vice grips will do it!

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyf6b View Post
    Well I got my pipes installed. I put them on at work so I could hear them on my way home. I fought with them until I figured out how they go on. They sound great at idle and while twisting the throttle but all the way home it was drone city. I thought since I wear a half helmet it wouldn't be noticeable but it didn't help. My other complaint is how they fit. It's hard to get the lengths to match and one side sits noticeably lower than the other side. Also, there's only the cobra name on one side. I think it should be on both sides.

So when I got home I was all excited to pull the baffles to hear how that sounds. No bueno. The baffles are so rusted they won't budge. Anyone know how I can get them out? Here's a few pics.

Attachment 4576

Attachment 4577

Attachment 4578

Attachment 4579
    Hi Bobby,

Mine were pretty stuck too so I sprayed WD40 up inside after removing the small set screws and pulled the internal edge of the baffles until they gave up like a tired Steelhead. I have no drone except in freeway underpasses but I wear a Schuberth C3 with ear plugs.

Bobby, when you mounted your Cobras did you put your pipe mounting bracket to the inside of the mounting lug on the bike? It might just be the picture but the pipes look like they are spread a little wide.

Quote Originally Posted by jakec View Post
    Bobby, when you mounted your Cobras did you put your pipe mounting bracket to the inside of the mounting lug on the bike? It might just be the picture but the pipes look like they are spread a little wide.
    Yes, they are mounted to the inside. If you stand in the back they look fine, it's on closer inspection that you notice the inconsistencies.

I bought these used. If I had bought these new I would be really upset!

I just sprayed a bunch of WD40 in the ends of the pipes. After a few hours of soaking I'll see if the baffles will come out. I don't have high hopes.

To those that have pulled the baffles, did they come right out? What tool did you use?

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyf6b View Post
    I just sprayed a bunch of WD40 in the ends of the pipes. After a few hours of soaking I'll see if the baffles will come out. I don't have high hopes.
    To those that have pulled the baffles, did they come right out? What tool did you use?
    I answered your PM. Same way, WD 40 and a strong wire attached to a vice grip. The small lip on these baffles is very hard to grab and pull, so a bent wire up inside worked them out.

As for the "drone". This is a 6 cylinder bike, not a VTwin. It sounds like a Sports Car or a Sports Bike. At High Speed, there is a steady loud sound like a car. It won't thump or vary the sound like a VTwin. It's not a drone.

The 6 Pipe sound reminds me of a buddy's Chevelle that had good sounding pipes. At cruising speed inside the "cage" it was a constant, loud, smooth sound.

If I was on a several day ride it would be too much, I would probably prefer the stock pipes.

The F6B is "chopped" for city and shorter trip riding, although it can do both. With louder pipes cars hear you better and you get more attention because people think it is a cool "Muscle Car" sound, and then they see an awesome styled, massive bike instead.

I'm not this upset, but it reminded me of this scene from Liar Liar.

Update

Well I fought like hell and got those baffles out. The pics will show you how rusted they are. I fired it up, let the fans cycle and went for a ride. They sound amazing at idle but now the drone is louder. We'll see if I can get adjusted to them. I know it's the nature of the beast. I wonder if I do a mod to the crossover if it will sound better. If not I'm gonna go back to stock. Someone else can try these out.

Attachment 4610

Bobby, go on Ebay and buy some 1/2" fiberglass muffler packing, wrap the glass around each baffle and wrap a couple stips of scotch tape around the glass to hold in place then reinsert the baffles. I did this and the more I ride it the more I think the sound is mellowing out.

Packed mufflers?

How about just packing the crossover since that seems to be the cause of the resonance that is referred to in this column as the drone? Miles and others who have bypassed the crossover have resolved the issue with extensive replumbing but what about just making a small "glass pack" like we did in the 60's? Fiberglass or steel wool would probably be easy to use and different densities would allow each rider to customize the sound to their liking. There must be a harmonic that each of us prefers. Personally, my unplugged 6-2-6's sound similar to but louder than my Porsche which has 4 times the HP and I love it, especially between 4500-5000
    RPM.