Show Chrome Luggage Rack
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Show Chrome Luggage Rack

Show Chrome Luggage Rack

Well, I'm not sure what I think about it. It's certainly a good size and the way it's made allows for multiple attachment point. But, it angles downward. That's a plus for following the lines of the bike, but a minus for actually putting stuff on it. Maybe it would look a little better if I had gone for the Smoke Chrome but that's on backorder and I've got a trip coming up. Sooooo, we'll see, I guess, how I feel about it over the next couple of days.

Installation was relatively easy, although the instructions weren't helpful. They want you to install the brackets and the mounting bolts and then mount the rack to the brackets. Doing it that way, however, meant there wasn't much room for tightening the rack to the mount. One of those, 1/8 turn at a time for ever! I found it better to finger-tight mount the brackets to the rack, then the rack to the bike, then tighten everything up. Even with three different trials, it was a 40 minute job.

Positives:
    it's solid
    it's big
    there are multiple tie-down options
    ultimately, it was easy to install

Negatives:
    the instructions aren't helpful
    the rack angles downward

Bonus:
    the rubber caps that came on the luggage rack fit the antenna mount quite well. So if you want to get rid of the flexible part of the antenna.....

Attachment 4422Attachment 4423Attachment 4424Attachment 4425

Quote Originally Posted by miramiramira View Post
    Well, I'm not sure what I think about it. It's certainly a good size and the way it's made allows for multiple attachment point. But, it angles downward. That's a plus for following the lines of the bike, but a minus for actually putting stuff on it. Maybe it would look a little better if I had gone for the Smoke Chrome but that's on backorder and I've got a trip coming up. Sooooo, we'll see, I guess, how I feel about it over the next couple of days.

Installation was relatively easy, although the instructions weren't helpful. They want you to install the brackets and the mounting bolts and then mount the rack to the brackets. Doing it that way, however, meant there wasn't much room for tightening the rack to the mount. One of those, 1/8 turn at a time for ever! I found it better to finger-tight mount the brackets to the rack, then the rack to the bike, then tighten everything up. Even with three different trials, it was a 40 minute job.

Positives:
    it's solid
    it's big
    there are multiple tie-down options
    ultimately, it was easy to install

Negatives:
    the instructions aren't helpful
    the rack angles downward

Bonus:
    the rubber caps that came on the luggage rack fit the antenna mount quite well. So if you want to get rid of the flexible part of the antenna.....

Attachment 4422Attachment 4423Attachment 4424Attachment 4425
    Nice Pictures.
    The Smoke Chrome just came into Big Bike Parts yesterday afternoon (first shipment).
    We will have some on the way to us today hopefully. The smoke should look good also.
    http://store.valueaccessories.net/LuggageRackGoldWingF6B.aspx

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    I know it would mean a re-assembly,, but,,, Could stainless steel washers be used as shims to alter the 'angle of dangle',,,

(I imagine it was a struggle between 'follow the lines/keep it flat' during design,,,)

Quote Originally Posted by miramiramira View Post
    the rack angles downward
    ]
    Spacers and a grinder to get the right angle.

Yeah, I think I'd have to grind the mounting points and use spacers to get a flat angle. I'll see if it irritates me before I tackle that task. Or just return it and see what else is out there.

At this point, I'm ok with it the way it is.

Slope

I installed my Show Chrome yesterday and immediately thought the same thing about the slope.
    Is it possible the spacers should be swapped front to back?

Quote Originally Posted by Livewyre View Post
    I installed my Show Chrome yesterday and immediately thought the same thing about the slope.
    Is it possible the spacers should be swapped front to back?
    The rack should be parallel with your back lid on the bike. Mine might be just a tiny bit sloped up, from parallel.
    The back lid on the bike does slope down a little.

What are you saying about the cap and the antenna? It still leaves the base I guess is what you're saying? Ultimately, I think I'll be going with this one because I want the chrome accent, but I've got some reservations including how it interacts with the antenna and now the angle. Ultimately, I think the mp3 is a better design -- I just really want the chrome.
    Ride to work, work to ride
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What are you saying about the cap and the antenna? It still leaves the base I guess is what you're saying? Ultimately, I think I'll be going with this one because I want the chrome accent, but I've got some reservations including how it interacts with the antenna and now the angle. Ultimately, I think the mp3 is a better design -- I just really want the chrome. I wonder how much chroming the mp3 would cost...
    Ride to work, work to ride
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Injun Joe View Post
    What are you saying about the cap and the antenna? It still leaves the base I guess is what you're saying? Ultimately, I think I'll be going with this one because I want the chrome accent, but I've got some reservations including how it interacts with the antenna and now the angle. Ultimately, I think the mp3 is a better design -- I just really want the chrome. I wonder how much chroming the mp3 would cost...
    If I was guessing, I'd say about 50 bucks.