RUSH black pipes - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: RUSH black pipes

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    As promised, here are a few pics of the black Rush pipes with shields painted to match and extended tips:

Attachment 6398Attachment 6399Attachment 6400

Ken, that looks sharp !

The red stripe reminds me of a European F6B

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FOqUKirMtc

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

Hornblower inspired me, Black Rush on their way

As promised, here are a few pics of the black Rush pipes with shields painted to match and extended tips:

Attachment 6398Attachment 6399Attachment 6400
    Well, Hornblower's post, pics and review inspired me. Today I ordered the black Rush with 2.5 inch baffles and the extended tips. Hoping to have them by Thurs or Monday at the latest. Stay tuned for my review.

Quote Originally Posted by brewcityf6b View Post
    Well, Hornblower's post, pics and review inspired me. Today I ordered the black Rush with 2.5 inch baffles and the extended tips. Hoping to have them by Thurs or Monday at the latest. Stay tuned for my review.
    Well I installed the black Rush 2.5 inch with the extended end piece. They look fantastic, but I honestly couldnt ride with them for more than a few blocks with my helmet on because the "drone" was so bad. I'm going to order a set of the 2 inch baffels and see if it makes a difference but IMO I don't see how anyone who wears an open face or full face helmet would be able to ride with these pipes. Just my opinion. Super bummed. Fingers crossed that the smaller baffels make a difference because they look awesome.

Well I installed the black Rush 2.5 inch with the extended end piece. They look fantastic, but I honestly couldnt ride with them for more than a few blocks with my helmet on because the "drone" was so bad. I'm going to order a set of the 2 inch baffels and see if it makes a difference but IMO I don't see how anyone who wears an open face or full face helmet would be able to ride with these pipes. Just my opinion. Super bummed. Fingers crossed that the smaller baffels make a difference because they look awesome.
    No doubt, with the 2.5" baffles, the "hum" at highway speeds is quite noticeable. And, adding the extended tips didn't make as much difference in that as I had hoped either. It comes down to what you can tolerate, I suppose. Further, sitting behind a really effective windscreen, like the Madstad, you have little wind noise to mask the hum. It seems to be a tradeoff, right? I absolutely love the deep rumble at idle and even at lower speeds, but, as the rpm's increase, this turns into a hum. Personally, I haven't decided to go to further lengths to reduce this hum. Even so, Brewcity, since you've already ordered the 2" baffles, please post your findings on the comparison between the 2.5 and 2" baffles. That will be very interesting. I'd also be interested to hear how easily the 2.5" baffles can be removed.
    Ken (Hornblower)

No doubt, with the 2.5" baffles, the "hum" at highway speeds is quite noticeable. And, adding the extended tips didn't make as much difference in that as I had hoped either. It comes down to what you can tolerate, I suppose. Further, sitting behind a really effective windscreen, like the Madstad, you have little wind noise to mask the hum. It seems to be a tradeoff, right? I absolutely love the deep rumble at idle and even at lower speeds, but, as the rpm's increase, this turns into a hum. Personally, I haven't decided to go to further lengths to reduce this hum. Even so, Brewcity, since you've already ordered the 2" baffles, please post your findings on the comparison between the 2.5 and 2" baffles. That will be very interesting. I'd also be interested to hear how easily the 2.5" baffles can be removed.
    Ken, Just out of curiosity, do you where a helmet that covers your ears? Like I said, with my open face it was very pronounced even at a slow cruising speed through the neighborhood. I didn't try sans helmet but considering I won't ride anymore without a helmet, it's kind of a mute point in my situation. Will be calling today about the 2 inch baffles.

So, I talked to someone at Rush and he was very friendly and helpful. I explained my situation and he said that the 2.5 inch is a pretty aggressive baffle. He said the 2 inch will tone it down a lot and bring it closer to stock. So, I went ahead and ordered the baffle from the distributor that sold me the pipes. Hoping to have them by Monday at the latest. On a side note, I explained to him that I made the transition from riding V-twins for the past 12 years to the flat 6 and he was super complimentary of the F6 and how "plush" of a ride it is.

Ken, Just out of curiosity, do you where a helmet that covers your ears? Like I said, with my open face it was very pronounced even at a slow cruising speed through the neighborhood. I didn't try sans helmet but considering I won't ride anymore without a helmet, it's kind of a mute point in my situation. Will be calling today about the 2 inch baffles.
    Yes, my helmets are either full face or 3/4 with full shield. In addition, I have J&M headsets installed in the helmets. This probably does help to reduce the hum problem but I'm not sure it makes a huge difference . Staying tuned to hear your experience with the 2" baffles.
    Ken (Hornblower)

Installed the 2' baffles

I received the 2 inch baffles yesterday and swapped out the 2.5's. Removing the 2.5 was no problem since I had less then 2 miles on those baffles they pulled right out. Rush does a nice job of including removal instructions which I would have needed had there been more mileage on the baffles. Installed the 2 inch and it made a world of difference. I get the resonance in my helmet at certain times while accelerating, however it's not nearly as pronounced as it was with the 2.5. I can see why many just stick with stock as a result of the resonance/hum/drone, however I really like the look of the black pipes and will keep these on for awhile to see how I like them long term.

Ken - how did you paint your heat shields? Did you sand them down at all before spraying them? Also, was removal difficult? I haven't looked real close yet, but it looks like removing the heat shields may be a little tricky. Looks like there might be other things that need to come off first???

I received the 2 inch baffles yesterday and swapped out the 2.5's. Removing the 2.5 was no problem since I had less then 2 miles on those baffles they pulled right out. Rush does a nice job of including removal instructions which I would have needed had there been more mileage on the baffles. Installed the 2 inch and it made a world of difference. I get the resonance in my helmet at certain times while accelerating, however it's not nearly as pronounced as it was with the 2.5. I can see why many just stick with stock as a result of the resonance/hum/drone, however I really like the look of the black pipes and will keep these on for awhile to see how I like them long term.

Ken - how did you paint your heat shields? Did you sand them down at all before spraying them? Also, was removal difficult? I haven't looked real close yet, but it looks like removing the heat shields may be a little tricky. Looks like there might be other things that need to come off first???

Brewcity, thanks for the eval on 2" baffles and notes on ease of removal

On the heat shields...I elected NOT to remove the shields for painting. It's probably not all that hard but I decided just to mask off the area instead. For paint, I used plasti-kote fast dry engine enamel, in flat black no. 230. Sprayed 3 coats about 10 minutes apart. The color match was pretty good. For prep, I scuffed the shields with a 3M scuffing pad. You could probably use fine steel wool just as well. So far, the paint is holding up just fine but it's a little soon to know how durable this treatment will be.
    Ken (Hornblower)