TIRES TIRES TIRES - Page 10
Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: TIRES TIRES TIRES

shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotrod View Post
    See my post above.

To have any of us 'armchair expert's' experiment with CT's is not true 'forward thinking' at all.

Maybe for that individual and/or on an extremely 'elementary/Bubba likes it' level it is, but the real world 'experimentation/forward thinking' done at the manufacturing level is light years ahead of what any 'armchair expert' does when he grabs a CT off a shelf and slaps it on his bike.

If folks can't or otherwise refuse to understand that, well,,, I can't help 'em.
    I don't agree with that at all. As an ASE Certified Master Technician I work on defective pieces of shyt that the "manufacturers" put out every day. If you think that our safety is paramount when it comes to manufacturing practices then you truly were born last night. Their bottom dollar is what drives them and is absolutely the most important thing. And when you get what they give you its not necessarily what's best for you or even what you should have. Its what they can give you for a set dollar amount.

shooter
    [QUOTE=hiflyer;46771]
    Personally, the DS is nothing new to me, or to MC's either. I've been there, done that, years ago,,, not going back.

QUOTE]

I've got two rear wheels, I'm going to mount up a C/T on one of them and draw my own conclusions.
    And that's what its all about. Freedom to draw your own conclusions and make an informed decision.

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    I don't agree with that at all. As an ASE Certified Master Technician I work on defective pieces of shyt that the "manufacturers" put out every day. If you think that our safety is paramount when it comes to manufacturing practices then you truly were born last night. Their bottom dollar is what drives them and is absolutely the most important thing. And when you get what they give you its not necessarily what's best for you or even what you should have. Its what they can give you for a set dollar amount.
    I was at my new powder coater's home last night picking up some parts. He had a Valk on a lift and we got started talking Valks and the like.... he had made a statement at he shop where we first met that the D.S. would never be on one of his bikes because insurance companies would not pay the bill if wrecked. I asked him them what HIS agent said. He had no answer . I suggested again that before he draw conclusions he needed to try it to have an opinion. I left with him saying he should at least try it!

Hey! it ain't for everyone...I do believe you should try something in order to have an opinion .... having said that....safety is not your governments first concern nor is it the manufactures either.... it is ALWAYS the dollar..... and IMHO most engineers I know are educated idiiots...just sayin....
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    I was at my new powder coater's home last night picking up some parts. He had a Valk on a lift and we got started talking Valks and the like.... he had made a statement at he shop where we first met that the D.S. would never be on one of his bikes because insurance companies would not pay the bill if wrecked. I asked him them what HIS agent said. He had no answer . I suggested again that before he draw conclusions he needed to try it to have an opinion. I left with him saying he should at least try it!

Hey! it ain't for everyone...I do believe you should try something in order to have an opinion .... having said that....safety is not your governments first concern nor is it the manufactures either.... it is ALWAYS the dollar..... and IMHO most engineers I know are educated idiiots...just sayin....
    Amen Brother to all of that.

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    Scot's point was that the engineers who design the components are working with a LOT more information than Joe Customer who simply buys the tire, rides on it, and forms an opinion. That is indisputably true.

Regarding the bottom dollar being more important than safety... what do you think happens to the bottom dollar when safety is not there? People stop buying those products and profits suffer or the company goes under. History is littered with such cases. You're on the service side of a products lifecycle; my hat's off for being Master Certified. But if you spend time on the design side you would quickly realize that safety is in fact a very high priority. Ask me how I know

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post

If we believe vehicle manufacturers are driven solely by the dollar, why would we not believe insurers do the same. Discovering a car tire on a bike would be a pristine reason to refuse a claim.

Your powder coater friend could very well have turned the table and asked if you ever had a claim paid after crashing on the darkside. I assume the answer is no. I know very little about insurance but I do understand there's some discretion given to the adjuster. *Some*, not a lot. I tend to believe the insurance argument is not clear cut one way or the other... but the risk of a refusal exists and should be considered.

Someone who would actually know as a result of professional-level technical training each individual component of either a MT or CT, what each individual component does, how they work in unison, and what results when one or more of those components are changed /altered?

These are the same folks saying ya need to use MC tires on a MC.
    Same folks that say I need catalytic converters because of global warming.

Just messing with you Scotrod.

Quote Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post

If we believe vehicle manufacturers are driven solely by the dollar, why would we not believe insurers do the same. Discovering a car tire on a bike would be a pristine reason to refuse a claim.
    The same could be said or implied for riding a bike without a helmet and have a head injury and have your claim denied for that fact!

The same could be said or implied for folks who are "vertically impaired" and operate a cycle on their tippy toes!

The same could be said or implied for anyone lowering their cycle so they can flat foot (only applies to vertical impaired folks)!

The same could be said or implied for driving a 840 lb. cruiser like a sport bike!

The same could be said or implied for towing a trailer with a motorcycle!

The same could be said or implied for driving on a rear tire with the cords showing!

The above, like your statement on using a CT as a excuse to deny a claim, are all assumptions and conjecture!

Unless one has definitive proof that a insurance denial has occurred (News Paper Article etc.) we add nothing to a debate except "what ifs"

About insurance companies! They operate on the business practice of " The losses of the few are covered by the premiums of the many"

Ride Safe

Quote Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post
    Scot's point was that the engineers who design the components are working with a LOT more information than Joe Customer who simply buys the tire, rides on it, and forms an opinion. That is indisputably true.

Regarding the bottom dollar being more important than safety... what do you think happens to the bottom dollar when safety is not there? People stop buying those products and profits suffer or the company goes under. History is littered with such cases. You're on the service side of a products lifecycle; my hat's off for being Master Certified. But if you spend time on the design side you would quickly realize that safety is in fact a very high priority. Ask me how I know

Your powder coater friend could very well have turned the table and asked if you ever had a claim paid after crashing on the darkside. I assume the answer is no. I know very little about insurance but I do understand there's some discretion given to the adjuster. *Some*, not a lot. I tend to believe the insurance argument is not clear cut one way or the other... but the risk of a refusal exists and should be considered.

I asked my agent ... he said it had no effect ...State Farm ...Lake Mary,FL

I go back to what has been said MANY MANY MANY times on this and or boards...if you ain't tried it not sure how anyone could have an opinion either way, on anything!!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

2kewlgypsy
    So, assuming insurance would be ok with it, would warranty service? Can Honda refuse to fix a motor problem or a trans problem because the found a CT (or for that matter you use 15W40 when their manual states 15W30?)
    This is my first ever bike that I bought with 0 miles. I do all my work myself, and always have, but got to admit the warranty idea is appealing, I'd just hate to shoot it all to hell cause I have a CT on the bike when I roll it in. Anyone know for SURE what Honda would do?
    2~kewl

Quote Originally Posted by 2kewlgypsy View Post
    So, assuming insurance would be ok with it, would warranty service? Can Honda refuse to fix a motor problem or a trans problem because the found a CT (or for that matter you use 15W40 when their manual states 15W30?)
    This is my first ever bike that I bought with 0 miles. I do all my work myself, and always have, but got to admit the warranty idea is appealing, I'd just hate to shoot it all to hell cause I have a CT on the bike when I roll it in. Anyone know for SURE what Honda would do?
    2~kewl
    Doing your own maintenance will not void your warranty! Keep all your receipts for oil, filters, hypoid gear oil etc. I make a note on each receipt of the date the items were used with the mileage recorded.

Living in Pennsylvania I have a requirement for yearly vehicle inspections. Be it car, truck or motorcycle, the vehicle has to be submitted to a local inspection station for mechanical inspections which includes brake linings, horn, lights and of course tires. The Pa. Inspection Criteria states a DOT Approved Tire on a DOT Approver Rim! I carry a copy of that criteria on my motorcycle. I have never had issue at inspection time with my Car Tire. I've have read of one account where a motorcycle dealership mechanic refused to inspect a cycle which had a car tire. He stepped beyond his authority in doing so. If that were the case simply take the bike to another inspection station and "getter done"

With the addition of many aftermarket non OEM parts added to motorcycles, especially lowering kits and trailering kits the bikes are traded and sold by the dozens at Honda Dealerships! I've traded bikes at my local dealership and they would only accept the bike if I removed the CT and installed a cycle tire prior to doing the deal. That saves them the cost of tire replacement which they would add to the resale cost anyway!