TIRES TIRES TIRES - Page 13
Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: TIRES TIRES TIRES

Quote Originally Posted by hiflyer View Post
    Really!

Check your man date on your tire...there must be a reason why some get poor mileage and others get great mileage when both really check their air pressure. I think it because of older tires... will have to see if anyone has older tires...mine where 4 months old when installed???
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    Check your man date on your tire...there must be a reason why some get poor mileage and others get great mileage when both really check their air pressure. I think it because of older tires... will have to see if anyone has older tires...mine where 4 months old when installed???
    I check them every Saturday morning, for me, that's monitored closely.

I check them every Saturday morning, for me, that's monitored closely.

OK then...when were your tires made???
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

So to change the discussion up a little, what the heck is going on with my front tire? 11k miles running 40psi, monitored closely. Seems like a weird wear pattern to me.
    Mine wore the same way. I think it's because of the harder rubber compound in the middle for longer wear. The sides are softer for better traction.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyf6b View Post
    Mine wore the same way. I think it's because of the harder rubber compound in the middle for longer wear. The sides are softer for better traction.
    +1 My OEM front exhibited the same wear pattern with 16.5K miles!

Quote Originally Posted by Scotrod View Post
    Yup,,, Michelin HE on a VTX1800. Unclear on the exact size, other than the 'recommended' size. (Was also the 'recommended/popular' MFR/model of CT for the bike at the time.)
    The reason I ask is that I had a somewhat similar experience with a Michelin Pilot Sport AS on my Rocket III. It wasn't all that bad really but did exhibit some of the characteristics that you described, the most noticeable of which was countersteering effort. The Kumho Ecsta RF currently on my "6" is much better in that regard. No doubt, tire choice is of supreme importance in going darkside. Just because a few other people run a particular tire doesn't necessarily guarantee you've made the best choice.
    Ken (Hornblower)

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    So to change the discussion up a little, what the heck is going on with my front tire? 11k miles running 40psi, monitored closely. Seems like a weird wear pattern to me.

Looks like normal wear as others have mentioned.

The Bridgestone front tire is a Dual compound tire, like Bobby stated, the side rubber is softer and designed for better traction yet wears faster then the center hard rubber designed for the long haul.

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    Looks like normal wear as others have mentioned.

The Bridgestone front tire is a Dual compound tire, like Bobby stated, the side rubber is softer and designed for better traction yet wears faster then the center hard rubber designed for the long haul.
    Although I don't believe the DC feature is advertised by B-stone, I'm not sure how else the wear characteristics we are seeing in the fronts could be achieved.

I know Avon Cobra's use VBD (Variable Belt Density) to 'adjust' the tires rate of flex per degree of camber,,,

A understood by me, the center section has a denser concentration of steel wires, while the sides have a lesser concentration, resulting in a wider footprint,,,

I remember when I went from the worn out OEM rear 'Lop to a new Cobra rear on my VTX,,,, Initial thought was the rear tire felt underinflated/soft while cornering,,, I remember re-checking the pressure,,, the difference between the old/new was that 'pronounced',,,

I really liked the handling of those Cobra's,,, but,,, 2 outta of 2 times, I had belt separation/failure in the exact same spot of tread, each time at about 75% wear / 8-9k miles,,,

(The 2nd Cobra was a pro rated replacement for the first. It was also the same MT I had laying around that went on after I pulled the CT. )

Sectioned Tire Carcass Pictures

I'm providing these pics of sectioned tire carcasses without any captions! I'll leave that up to Scottrod to demonstrate his wisdom on what they are and what they represent. Never being short for words or offering his opinion, I know he'll jump on the opportunity like a good Beagle on a Rabbit

Attachment 8663Attachment 8664Attachment 8665Attachment 8666Attachment 8667

Quote Originally Posted by bob109 View Post
    I'm providing these pics of sectioned tire carcasses without any captions! I'll leave that up to Scottrod to demonstrate his wisdom on what they are and what they represent. Never being short for words or offering his opinion, I know he'll jump on the opportunity like a good Beagle on a Rabbit

Attachment 8663Attachment 8664Attachment 8665Attachment 8666Attachment 8667

Oh where, oh where is Scotrod when we need him