TIRES TIRES TIRES - Page 21
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021

Thread: TIRES TIRES TIRES

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    What fun is pushing a bike to only 80% of it's limit? Well, as they say, crashing sucks, and old folks don't heal up as good as youngsters do,,,

Depends a lot on your background as well,,,,,,,

I won't go into details, but I spent a couple decades with no respect for my own safety or the safety of those around me. Had my fun, still alive to talk about it.

After all that, it takes 'quite a bit' to get this old fart truly excited,,,

Maybe others want to test their skills by 'pushing their envelope', but eventually, you will meet either your own personal (or your equipment's) limit, and then,,,

So I rode to work today with the proper tire pressure and I have to say, the tire handles much better. Even a bike tire would handle bad with 10 less psi. It was windy so I need more time to evaluate the handling in the highway. One thing I have noticed is that it sits up more straight on the kickstand . Gotta be more careful where I park. Hopefully it will be all that I hoped for, but if not at least I tried it.

I think of it as the difference between skiing and snowboarding. (I've done both) Each will get you down the mountain fast but skis are narrow and turn quick and snowboards are wide and take a little more effort and finesse.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotrod View Post
    Remember,,,,,,,,,, Ya gotta find that 'Sweet Spot'!!! Once the tire gets 'broke in', you might have to add a couple lbs,,, Bump it up for the twisties, back it down some for the super slab,,,

Put about 480 miles on the new 888 / 709 today. (No 'sweet spot' required!)

Handling??? '100% Seamless',,, from 1/2 a degree lean to shootin sparks,,, Very light and 'flickable'. No boat-rowing the bars, no under steer, just a great bike acting like it's manufacturer intended it to.

Perhaps the only test will be to see how long the 888 lasts. Still hard to beat the Stones for the 'bang for the buck'.
    I don't understand it either Scotrod, I run CTs on my cars and MTs on my motorcycles and skids on my helos just like the manufacturer intended. I figure they know more than I do about the product they made. Each to his own I guess!

Well...

Here's what I think after a week on a CT. I don't think it's for me. I will experiment with it more in the future but for now I'm back to my MT.

At first it felt a little "square", I expected that. It didn't take long to get used to that feeling but it took more effort to throw the bike around. Instead of the bike feeling half it's size, it felt twice it's size. I had the psi at 42 which is the same as the MT and it rode very smooth. Turning in curves or around corners was no problem, in fact I noticed more clearance for my left foot when shifting in a left turn.

Most of what I didn't like was when riding straight or changing lanes. The tire would grab the grooves in the road and I could feel any imperfection. If the road banked left it would try to take me left and if the road banked right it would pull me right. In a construction zone it threw me all over the place. And it doesn't like going over speed bumps at a 45 degree angle. That was like being rocked in a boat.

The worst part for me was at high speed. I like to ride fast and hard sometimes and I need a machine that will respond with me. Ever since the day I got this bike I felt like it was an extension of my body. It seems to know exactly what I want to do and where I want to go. The CT screwed that up, and at high speed my bike started to wobble. A couple times I thought I might lose control. I was thinking it might be the Ride-On I added to the tire but it didn't go away. I just rode home tonight and it freaked me out again. I was going around a curve and the bike started wobbling and that was enough for me to switch back when I got home. This machine is so perfect, why am I screwing it up? Who the hell knows why we do the crazy things we do. I had to try it for myself. I think if someone is an experienced rider they can handle it. I know I can, but when I want to push the bike I want it to be there for me.

Please don't say, "I told you so". I had to learn on my own. I'm not against anyone using a CT. If it works for you then great! I think after my MT wears out I will give it another try with more psi, but I'm not sure if it will be for me.

Pros:
    More tread life
    Great traction
    Smooth ride
    More turning clearance
    Bike balances better when coming to a stop

Cons:
    Turns take more effort
    Tire follows every imperfection in the road
    High speed wobbles (In my experience)
    Heavier tire takes more power to turn
    Bike less stable on kickstand

Attachment 9340

Bobbyf6b:

Thanks for sharing your personal experience with a CT. Your observations about the tires handling characteristics on irregular road surfaces i.e. construction zones is dead on. As someone new to a CT it's a bit unnerving when one first encounters the tires reactions to road anomalies. I, like you, encountered handling variations when I first started Dark Siding. With just shy of 100K miles on CT I find their handling as "normal". I anticipate rough roads, construction zones and the like. The handling IMHO is a excellent trade off for the benefits the CT provides.

Regardless of what you have on the rear, ride safe

Good feedback Bobby; I appreciate you sharing those thoughts.

I've been toying with trying it too for long trips and it sounds like, if I do, I should mount the CT well before a trip just to get use to it.

I'm guessing maybe the run flat would be more stable but I'm not sure and I'm not buying another tire to try it. Just a theory.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyf6b View Post
    I'm guessing maybe the run flat would be more stable but I'm not sure and I'm not buying another tire to try it. Just a theory.
    A guess indeed...for comparison, I am mounting a non-run flat (Falken 612) to compare to my run flat (Kumho Ecsta SPT). Of course, I'm not sure how scientific that comparison will be since they are two different brands of tire. If it performs any better than my Kumho, I will be ecstatic. As a starting point, I will be running about 10 more psi in this new tire.
    Ken (Hornblower)

Bobby, did you ever report back on your mileage comparison of OEM versus Dunlop rear tire? I can't find it, and it would be very helpful as I am about to buy. Thanks.