TIRES TIRES TIRES - Page 7
Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: TIRES TIRES TIRES

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    That's creative even for you Scot. I do enjoy your post's though.
    Actually, the 'lay down of the power' was 'stolen' and was described a bit differently in an article I read a few years ago. It was referring to how the new (at that time) MC cross-plane racing engines had an advantage at the track in powering through the corners without breaking the tires loose as each power pulse to the rear tire was 'smaller/more evenly distributed over (1) complete engine power cycle than comparably powered 2 cylinder bikes.

In a manner of speaking, the same overall HP/TQ was transferred to the road with less chance of the tires breaking loose as the smaller/more frequent power pulses put less strain on the tires,,

"Like 6 framing hammers vs 2 sledges,,,"

Quote Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post
    Check this out: http://www.goldwingowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=63017

Tire blew out on the interstate at 65 mph. Looks like the sidewall detached. Bike totaled. Rider and passenger injured. Cause unknown. Tire brand... Metzler.
    Not enough info here or in the link know what happened.

My speculations:

Riding 2 up,,, Overloaded? Underinflated? Underinflated/gradual loss of pressure after a small puncture?

A few years ago, The Metz 880's I had on my VTX were excellent tires. I was having repeated belt failures in rear Avon Cobra's, (Most likely due to exceeding Honda's recommended weight capacity)

Bought a Yami after the VTX and haven't ran Metz since.

Seems like recently, 'a few' folks have indicated they have had trouble with Metz, which,,,, you really didn't hear a lot about before,,,

IMHO, the OEM 'stones on our 6's are both proven and tough to beat. I'm more than willing wait for feedback on the 888's before I drop coin.

I only have 4 weeks and 3,500 miles to judge, yet am happy with stock rubber. So why change?

shooter
    Guys the number one cause of tire failure is under inflation. I ride with guys that don't check their tire pressure but once every six months. I check mine before every ride. If its appreciably low I know I have a leak and address the problem. These same guys gripe cause they only get 3000 mles on the tire before it gets choppy. Good maintenance is the life of anything. Only takes a few minutes.

shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesyryder View Post
    I only have 4 weeks and 3,500 miles to judge, yet am happy with stock rubber. So why change?
    You don't need to change. Everyone should do what they feel comfortable with. This thread is just to present different perspectives and ideas. I only ride the B two up so my situation is different than yours probably. Thus the change to the better load carrying ability of the CT. My M109R I run a MT. I don't just do things to be doing them. I always have a reason. That OE MT had a two inch flat spot in the middle at only 1800 miles. That's running 42 psi. Tread was half gone. I'm not a little guy and my gal isn't petite. I wanted to be safe and now I feel that I am.

2kewlgypsy
    Metezler - I had two blow outs on my Road Glide over the course of a couple of years - the second one I know pressure was spot on, both also had plenty of tread.
    I will never ride on Metezlers again -- can't afford all the new underware.

I'm not small,,, neither is the Mrs. Yet another reason we each ride our own instead of doubling up and exceeding Honda's rated weight carrying capacity. (420# or so, I believe )

The 580 lb carrying capacity rating of the Vic X-roads was a strong pull for me at one time, but not really a factor today.

I believe the 'Lop Elite 3 has the highest weight carrying capacity of any Wing-size rear tire,,,

If you are having tire troubles caused by overloading that specific tires weight rating, sure, a higher weight-rated tire will help with your tire troubles, but it still doesn't change the capacity of the bike. It addresses the symptom, but really not the root cause, so to speak,,,,

Can it be done? Sure, happens all the time. Could it be better? Not without keeping the load at/below the MFR's limit.

That also includes everything that wasn't on the bike when ya got it.

Maybe not so much on our 6's, but folks bolt on / add all kinds of stuff to lots of bikes. Shields/fairings/bags/engine guards/stereo systems etc etc etc,,,, Lotsa times, there are very few folks out there riding 2 - up on 'typical' bikes that aren't already over the limit,,,

Strap on some luggage, add a trailer,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Time to pull off the badges and write FREIGHTLINER on the side!!!

Quote Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post
    Check this out: http://www.goldwingowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=63017

Tire blew out on the interstate at 65 mph. Looks like the sidewall detached. Bike totaled. Rider and passenger injured. Cause unknown. Tire brand... Metzler.

Gracias.

Can you find that post?
    I will look for it. it was on a vtx site vtxoa or the cafe??
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks

Thanks I appreciate your help.
    If you argue with math, you will LOSE!!!!