TIRES TIRES TIRES - Page 8
Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: TIRES TIRES TIRES

If I may play the devil's advocate to darksiding... http://www.ridermagazine.com/browse-...torcycles.htm/

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    While there are several published articles with quite a bit of information why you shouldn't use a CT on a MC, there are no/none/zip/nada documents from any Tire or mass-produced Motorcycle Manufacturer that indicate CT's are even 'an acceptable substitute' for a MC tire.

But even after all that, some folks like 'em anyway!

Buncha dang Hooligans, I say!!

shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotrod View Post
    While there are several published articles with quite a bit of information why you shouldn't use a CT on a MC, there are no/none/zip/nada documents from any Tire or mass-produced Motorcycle Manufacturer that indicate CT's are even 'an acceptable substitute' for a MC tire.

But even after all that, some folks like 'em anyway!

Buncha dang Hooligans, I say!!

Or maybe Trailblazers , Innovators , Forward Thinkers or hell , Risk Takers. If it wasn't for people like this we would still be riding horses and fighting Indians. Don't be afraid of something new. It's a principle this country was founded on.

I like rockin' the boat as much as anyone

Honestly, when I first started reading that I thought the guy was gonna come around and say CT's were great on a bike. The take away I got was just what you said, there are no industry experts who recommend darksiding. But I do understand that the experienced riders who run on the darkside are fully aware of the characteristics that are being changed, gained, or lost.

I'm considering running a CT and am doing some reading in order to make an informed decision... and thought I'd share that article to give a counter perspective to the overwhelming affirmative recommendations given in the forum for darksiding.

The last point being made in the article was one I hadn't considered yet. How would insurance handle a claim if they discover you have a car tire on the bike?

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    Or maybe Trailblazers , Innovators , Forward Thinkers or hell , Risk Takers. If it wasn't for people like this we would still be riding horses and fighting Indians. Don't be afraid of something new. It's a principle this country was founded on.
    It's not new. People have been running CT's on bikes since the 1950's.

Industry Experts

Industry Experts never bite the hand that feeds them!
    Deer Slayer
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it.

This is what concerns me, actually.... cheerleading for CT's as if there should be no considerations at all. Doing so is a dis-service to forum members trying to become educated about the tradeoffs. And there are trade-offs.

The argument that industry experts don't recommend darksiding because it'll hurt business is false IMO. There are sound and proven reasons why the "experts" recommend tires that were specifically engineered for bikes to be used on bikes.

I'm not afraid of new ideas in the least but if someone makes an *informed* decision to stay with MC tires that's fine with me and they are certainly not stuck in the past fighting indians. I respect *informed* decisions; so don't be a sheeple and do something just because all the cool kids are doing it

shooter
    You obviously didn't read all the above posts. You only saw what you wanted to see so you could become self righteous. Read the above page before putting someone's ideas down.

Quote Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post
    If I may play the devil's advocate to darksiding... http://www.ridermagazine.com/browse-...torcycles.htm/
    No offense but we've seen that article maybe a dozen times on this forum.

Car tires are just as safe as any other mods we do to our bikes. The only reason I haven't tried it yet is convenience. I don't have the tools to mount it myself and I haven't found a local source for mounting yet.

As for insurance, what if you lower the bike? Add spacers to the handlebars? Change the wind screen? All of these change the operating and handling of the bike.

Remember some of the custom bike makers? Big Dog comes to mind. Some of the so called fat "motorcycle" tires they put on these bikes looked like they belonged on a Mack truck. I rode a former neighbors bike and couldn't turn the thing. On top of that, the primary had to be extended out so far to get the chain to the wheel that there was no ground clearance to speak of on the left side. Combined this seems far more dangerous than putting a car tire on a M/C. And these were massed produced for the public. Check this out.

http://www.empirecyclesny.com/bigdog.htm