Rivco Sidestand Pad
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rivco Sidestand Pad

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Rivco Sidestand Pad

So rather than carry around a block of wood or a crushed can for the sidestand, I decided to go for Rivco's sidestand pad. Overall it's great. Fits perfrectly. The set screw cinches it down tightly. Pad area is greatly increased and I don't worry about the stand sinking into hot asphalt or other semi-soft surfaces.

Today, however, I got into a left-turn lean and heard a terrible scraping sound... sure enough it was this pad scraping where the red arrow is. Unfortunately when the stand is "up" and this thing is scraping, there is no give; the stand is as high as its' gonna go and I don't like that. I'd rather have the moveable pegs scrape first, not a solidly mounted item.

I'm gonna take a file to this corner of the pad and see if I can file it down so that it isn't the first thing to scrape. The set screw is right in this corner... so not sure yet if enough material can be removed.

http://wingstuff.com/products/27812-...&sitesync=done

Sound good to me. Post a pic. When your done
    John (Jay) Bettua
    2014 F6b Red- sold 2016
    2020 Goldwing Matte Black
    Retired U.S. Air Force MSgt

Shortly after taking delivery of my 6, I realized that Honda Engineers erred in installing a "Vespa Scooter" side stand on the F6B. Having a adequate supply of black Vinyl Material on hand I decided to fab my own cure for the stand foot. Hogging out the Vinyl to match the stand foot, I secured it with a thin strip of the same material. Held in place with two stainless screws with captive nuts it has been securely in place for over a year. You may be able to secure your Rivco pad in the same manner and eliminate the set screw altogether. That would give you the opportunity to grind/file off the material which is contacting the ground.

Here's my original Thread with pics.

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?3...Side-stand-Pad

Quote Originally Posted by Fla_rider View Post
    Sound good to me. Post a pic. When your done
    Roger that.

Quote Originally Posted by bob109 View Post
    Shortly after taking delivery of my 6, I realized that Honda Engineers erred in installing a "Vespa Scooter" side stand on the F6B. Having a adequate supply of black Vinyl Material on hand I decided to fab my own cure for the stand foot. Hogging out the Vinyl to match the stand foot, I secured it with a thin strip of the same material. Held in place with two stainless screws with captive nuts it has been securely in place for over a year. You may be able to secure your Rivco pad in the same manner and eliminate the set screw altogether. That would give you the opportunity to grind/file off the material which is contacting the ground.

Here's my original Thread with pics.

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?3...Side-stand-Pad
    Nice work!

I have the pad from Wing Stuff, it is a great addition as the stock pad was wayyyy to small for hot asphalt here in FLA.....
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post
    So rather than carry around a block of wood or a crushed can for the sidestand, I decided to go for Rivco's sidestand pad. Overall it's great. Fits perfrectly. The set screw cinches it down tightly. Pad area is greatly increased and I don't worry about the stand sinking into hot asphalt or other semi-soft surfaces.

Today, however, I got into a left-turn lean and heard a terrible scraping sound... sure enough it was this pad scraping where the red arrow is. Unfortunately when the stand is "up" and this thing is scraping, there is no give; the stand is as high as its' gonna go and I don't like that. I'd rather have the moveable pegs scrape first, not a solidly mounted item.

I'm gonna take a file to this corner of the pad and see if I can file it down so that it isn't the first thing to scrape. The set screw is right in this corner... so not sure yet if enough material can be removed.

http://wingstuff.com/products/27812-...&sitesync=done

I have been grinding mine off with the use of an asphalt file.......
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Haha, I hear ya.

I'd prefer to not have something rigid scraping; that upsets the stability a bit more than I want.

srt8, as you can see, you're not the only one experiencing this. I went through the grinding process several times and finally just took the thing off. To me, this is one of those accessories that seems like a great idea but in reality, maybe not. The other thing I didn't like about it was my heel hitting it every time I moved my feet back on the pegs for the twisties "attack" position. Too bad, really, because it would have been nice not to have to get out the kickstand pad when parking in a soft spot.
    Ken (Hornblower)

Ken, did you try filing the pad down?

Bob's solution is looking pretty good if it can't be filed down enough.

Quote Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post
    Ken, did you try filing the pad down?

Bob's solution is looking pretty good if it can't be filed down enough.
    Like I mentioned in my previous post, I did grind off material several times to see if I could get acceptable clearance. The final decision was that I couldn't grind off enough to be satisfactory (for me) so I took it off. This is a nice piece from Rivco but just doesn't work at all for me.
    Ken (Hornblower)