Computer re-set with aftermarket pipes/air filter
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Computer re-set with aftermarket pipes/air filter

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Computer re-set with aftermarket pipes/air filter

Seeing a lot of pro/con info last couple days on the site under "what exhaust are you running"...What is the correct answer to this question if anyone really knows??..I am running Cobra's and K&N filter installed by the dealer at pick-up time and bike seems to run great..Appreciate an up-date to this issue if someone would post the "real world" answer...Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    Seeing a lot of pro/con info last couple days on the site under "what exhaust are you running"...What is the correct answer to this question if anyone really knows??..I am running Cobra's and K&N filter installed by the dealer at pick-up time and bike seems to run great..Appreciate an up-date to this issue if someone would post the "real world" answer...Thanks
    I can give you the sequence given to me by Jimmy at Torq Master Pipes as follows:

1. Disconnect the battery negative lead from battery.

2. Key on.

3. Touch the starter button as if trying to start the engine. (helps discharge any residual e- the system.

4. Key off.

5. Wait about 15 minutes......

6. FROM THIS POINT FORWARD DO NOT TOUCH OR TWIST THROTTLE (until you go riding).

7. Reconnect battery neg. to batt.

8. Key on.

9. Touch/push starter button to start engine. DO NOT TOUCH/TWIST THROTTLE.

10.. Allow to idle for 10 mins (untill fan kicks on). DO NOT TOUCH/TWIST THROTTLE.
    Ken (Hornblower)

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    I can give you the sequence given to me by Jimmy at Torq Master Pipes as follows:

2. Key on.

3. Touch the starter button as if trying to start the engine. (helps discharge any residual e- the system.

4. Key off.

6. FROM THIS POINT FORWARD DO NOT TOUCH OR TWIST THROTTLE (until you go riding).

8. Key on.

10.. Allow to idle for 10 mins (untill fan kicks on). DO NOT TOUCH/TWIST THROTTLE.
    +1

Honda uses 3D Mapping and this same procedure was used to re-calibrate the infamous 1800 VTV. After following the described procedure turn off the ignition and then restart the bike. You will have re-booted the ECM

Same for Rune…...
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Moderator / V-twin Gobbler GiddyupF6B's Avatar
    But the question remains......is this necessary to do after installing pipes or a K&N? Doesn't the ecu adapt automatically to any changes made?

Quote Originally Posted by GiddyupF6B View Post
    But the question remains......is this necessary to do after installing pipes or a K&N? Doesn't the ecu adapt automatically to any changes made?
    Like a computer, which receives a new program up-date, it recommends you restart your computer. Same for the ECM, as it has received some new info from the Oxygen, TPS, Crank and MAP Censors it has to re-boot to theses new parameters The procedure which has been described does just that

+1..That is exactly my point..Is it really necessary to do this procedure as my bike runs fine to me..Maybe the dealer did the re-set before I picked it up as I don't know...I will try to find out when I contact them.......

Reset

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post

2. Key on.

4. Key off.

8. Key on.

Thanks for the info going to try this when I get my new rush pipes !!

....bugger. I twisted the throttle.....
    I guess we'll try again tomorrow.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

A mate of mine yesterday while checking out the bike also asked the same questions about exhausts
    He races V8 Sprint cars and did a tour in the states with a premier Nascar team as they needed a bit of a hand????
    Says that aftermarket exhausts on bikes are a waste of time and basically cut horsepower.
    He's been an Australian Motorcycle champion in his days maybe 6 times before he got into cars.
    Says that basically the Major motorcycle manufacturers spend maybe 100's of millions of dollars on exhausts trying to get the maximum horsepower out of the machine while still complying with Californian Pollution laws, maybe the toughest in the world. And nothing gets into America on the road without doing this???
    Says that maybe an aftermarket exhaust may work if yah get the chip with it but most likely the chip will only stop the backfiring and hiccups.
    Says the way to do it that works is to do the 3 things that work to get the bike to go.
    Firstly get the bike to breath
    Second get the bike to go bang when it should (Aftermarket) ignition system
    Then do the exhausts, something like Vance and Hinze that guarantees performance
    With the help of a wiz kid on a dino maybe a 30% increase in horsepower.
    Says that everything else is a wank
    And he should know he's got more Australian Motorcycle and Car Australian champion ships on the wall than I've had????????