Phantom Shifts
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Phantom Shifts

Phantom Shifts

We have discussed two of the three issues that fill the GL1800 forums which are front end wobble and cold engine hesitation. None of us seem to have experienced the dreaded wobble but several seem to have issues with hesitation wth a cold engine. I have experienced the latter a couple of times but not near as often as I did with my '12 Wing.

Now, Phantom or Ghost shifts. Many 2012 & 2013 Wings have had transmissions downshift from fifth to fourth gear both under power and while slowing. I experienced this problem on both my 2008 and 2012 Gold Wings. When under power, it feels like a automobile with automatic transmission going into passing gear and it is anoying and scarry when it occurs. Of course, it is not predictable and the dealer cannot ever seem to duplicate the condition so they are not too agreeable to provide repairs.

Having explained the situation, I must say the F6B has the best shifting transmissions of any of my three Gold Wing chassis motorcycles and I have never experienced a Phantom Shift.

I was wondering if anyone has experience with this on their F6B?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I agree with you on the best shifting bike comment.
    I have had zero shifting issues. I do recall one magazine review where the author stated he had a hard time finding neutral. I have had no issues with neutral either. It's right where it is supposed to be.

Beagle

I posted B.C....that after running 80+ mph for over 6 hours, I came off the highway and I shifted up thru the gears and the O.D. light never came on...later slowed and stopped for a light and all was good after that and it has not happened since....usually when the phantom shift occurs it has something to do with a lazy shift or a new pair of shoes.....
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    I posted B.C....that after running 80+ mph for over 6 hours, I came off the highway and I shifted up thru the gears and the O.D. light never came on...later slowed and stopped for a light and all was good after that and it has not happened since....usually when the phantom shift occurs it has something to do with a lazy shift or a new pair of shoes.....
    I agree with you 100%. However, once it occurs, it seems to keep happening. It probably messes up the syncronizers or gears once it happens. The key, I believe, is to never have a lazy shift. My mini floorboards actually assist me in providind more positive shifting because they move my foot foreward, closer to the shifter which reduces the amount of movement required.

Never had an issue with the OD lights but did have TPMS system light problems on my 2012 Wing. Since we don't have TPMS on the F6B, I can check that potential problem off the list.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Phantoms and Ghosts

Given that WE have a couple members on this forum...one named Phantom, and the other named Ghost...I have to wonder if they have something to do with this phenomenon, or...are they taking your bikes for a ride ????????

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    Given that WE have a couple members on this forum...one named Phantom, and the other named Ghost...I have to wonder if they have something to do with this phenomenon, or...are they taking your bikes for a ride ????????
    ……………

480+ miles on 6.7gal of fuel is is outstanding

Phantom shift, I honestly think they are lazy shifts or a incomplete shift. Not this Ghost business

I cannot comment on the grounds that it might incriminate me.

Oil?

....that after running 80+ mph for over 6 hours, I came off the highway and I shifted up thru the gears and the O.D. light never came on...later slowed and stopped for a light and all was good after that and it has not happened since....usually when the phantom shift occurs it has something to do with a lazy shift or a new pair of shoes.....
    Just turned over 3000mi so changed the oil for the first time. Put in Rotella T6 5W-40 on the strength of the recommendations here. I previously had never encountered the Phantom Shift.

Similar to Steve 0080, I got off the freeway after about an hour of 70+. After shifting up through the gears, it downshifted from 5th to 4th.

So... is it the driving condition or the different specification oil?

Steve in OR

Good question. I have always run Honda oil. I notice improved shifting after each 4000 mile oil change but still no ghost shifts

But, what you experienced, ghost or phantom down shifts without rider action, is what I had on both of my full Wings and it continued, from time time, until I sold them. Good luck. Hope it was a one time experience for you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]