Phantom Shifts - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Phantom Shifts

Apparently someone on the GW board, I think that is where I saw it posted, was able to find out from a fairly accurate source that Honda did not change the gears, 4th & 5th, but now is coating them both with some new type process than is supposed to aid in longer life...Maybe has something to do with this supposed "ghost shifting", maybe not as I have not yet had the transmission do anything but what it is made to do correctly...I am not going to open any comments about oil usage...but, I have again been advised by people who have ridden Honda bikes for many thousands of miles, using Honda oils. to be very cautious as to what type/brand of oil that I use that has the potential to cause some issues and T6 is one of them...I have absolutely NO experience using anything but Honda oils and therefore I am only posting what I was advised....period!!!

Just over 2500 miles and two months of ownership with no ghost/phantom shifts. If it ever does happen I'll be going directly to the dealership and give them an ear full. No bike should ever downshift on its own. That would be a highly unsafe condition and no bike I have ever owned has had such an issue.

Mine has done it a number of times, but it has become less frequent with more miles on the bike. I am around 2500 with one oil change. I have had more issues with the shift drum not returning to center until the throttle is rolled off and back on, which seems to unload and reset things. The ghost shifts do really get your attention when they happen. Sometimes it feels like the engine is cutting out. Once, early on, I had it bounce between 4th and 5th like a machine gun. Probably made six changes in 3 seconds.

Have not dropped the bike at the dealer yet, but again, it is doing it less and less as time goes on and miles accumulate.

Rob
    Rob
    2013 F6B Deluxe Black

Just at 9,300 miles to date and no shift problems.
    Human error is my problem sometimes and I got small hoofs to boot !!

2014 F6B...
    6500 miles...
    0 ghost shifts.
    No hesitation.
    Decent paint.

Just sayin'.
    "1.21 gigawatts?! 1.21 GIGAWATTS??! Great Scott!!"

Kazoo shifts
    ED209 says RED is faster, you have 20 seconds to comply !

Just wanted to revive this thread and see if there were any updates. I recently had my oil changed at 16,000 miles and rode about 300 miles today. I had two times during the ride when the bike popped from 5th to 4th gear. I'm very concerned something may break if this happens again as there was a somewhat violent clunk when it happened. It is a major pain to take it to the dealer as it's an hour drive. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by toy_collector View Post
    Just wanted to revive this thread and see if there were any updates. I recently had my oil changed at 16,000 miles and rode about 300 miles today. I had two times during the ride when the bike popped from 5th to 4th gear. I'm very concerned something may break if this happens again as there was a somewhat violent clunk when it happened. It is a major pain to take it to the dealer as it's an hour drive. Any suggestions?
    Just to check. You do shift with authority, no pussy footing around? I personally have never had any problems on my 2013 F6B with 30K+. I shift hard & positive up or down with my size 16 boot.

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Quote Originally Posted by toy_collector View Post
    A "5th to 4th" uncommanded shifting experience? Damn. That will get your attention.

And only because some of the guys reported their "size 12" was doing things uncommanded, I reckon you'll state that your toes were nowhere near the shift lever at the time of the downshift?

If it were me? There's no place in my garage for a transmission from "iRobot."
    I'd be back at my dealer spouting superfluous safety speak and publicly pontificating warranty work.
    Best of luck.
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

I had it happen once on a trip down to Deals Gap a couple weeks ago or so. I honestly don't know for sure if it could have been from an incomplete shift. Had been riding some pretty twisty roads in and out of several gears. It caused me thought of concern as we traveled down the road, eventually I thought less and less of it. That's the only time I can recall ever experiencing this. I have about 24 k on the bike.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"