Phantom Shifts - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Phantom Shifts

With about 17,000 miles on my bike, yesterday was the first time I've experienced this and it happened twice. I had the oil changed at the dealer a couple weeks ago and I'm wondering if that had something to do with it. It just sucks 'cause I have to take a vacation day just to get the bike to the dealer.

Uncommanded downshifts have been a problem with GL1800 Goldwings since day one. For a long time Honda refused to admit there was a problem. In 2013 Honda said the have started treating 4th and 5th gears with a special coating that has solved the problem. I interpret this to mean that the have now solved the problem that they have never admitted to having. I know several people that have had this problem on older Wings. When I took my 2007 Wing down to trade in on the f6b the first question the salesman asked was "any 5th gear problems". This is something that is pretty well known in the Goldwing community.

I am very careful with my 4th to 5th gear shifts. I always make sure to fully engage 5th gear. It is just something to keep in mind

Assuming I just didn't get it tightly enough into 5th gear did it hurt it? I don't like that it said "OD" on the dash and I drove 100's of feet before it popped out. Seems like a defect to me. My main concern is I don't want my transmission to grenade once warranty is up.

I doubt very seriously that two uncommanded downshifts have done any significant damage. I also doubt that the recent service contributed to the problem. As I said in the previous post I always try to be very firm in my 4th to 5th gear shifts. As I understand it the shift fork is the first thing to be damaged from this. If you get significant damage the repairs are very expensive. The engine and transmission have to be removed from the bike, then the transmission can be separated from the engine and finally the transmission is disassembled and rebuilt. I have a friend that owns an independent Honda shop and he usually quotes between $3500 and $4000 for the repair. There are very few bikes that get to that point, just be careful with your shifts and it seems to be a minor irritant.

I know this all sounds very scary but if you are aware of the possibilities you shouldn't have a problem. I have been around the Goldwing community for quite a few years and I only know of two bikes that became unrideable because of this problem. Both had well over 100,000 miles on them. One owner decided to buy an engine and transmission from a low mileage wrecked Goldwing and have that installed in his bike. He claimed the cost was about the same as having his transmission rebuilt and he ended up with a complete low mileage power train. The other owner parked his in the garage and bought a new Goldwing. He claims he is going to take the bike apart himself and have the trans rebuilt. The pertinent fact is both these bikes were well over 100.000 miles. The one that is still parked in the garage was about 180,000.

This kind of a long post but I still bought a f6b and I have know about this problem for a long time. It is only a problem on a very few bikes and something you can usually live with if you are aware of it.

Never, 15,000 miles with Mobil 1 synthetic. Yes. I do.
    J
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul
    In Loving Memory of My Brother
    "Death Waits In The Dark"

2013 F6B Deluxe

Quote Originally Posted by Az Wingrider View Post
    I doubt very seriously that two uncommanded downshifts have done any significant damage. I also doubt that the recent service contributed to the problem. As I said in the previous post I always try to be very firm in my 4th to 5th gear shifts. As I understand it the shift fork is the first thing to be damaged from this. If you get significant damage the repairs are very expensive. The engine and transmission have to be removed from the bike, then the transmission can be separated from the engine and finally the transmission is disassembled and rebuilt. I have a friend that owns an independent Honda shop and he usually quotes between $3500 and $4000 for the repair. There are very few bikes that get to that point, just be careful with your shifts and it seems to be a minor irritant.

I know this all sounds very scary but if you are aware of the possibilities you shouldn't have a problem. I have been around the Goldwing community for quite a few years and I only know of two bikes that became unrideable because of this problem. Both had well over 100,000 miles on them. One owner decided to buy an engine and transmission from a low mileage wrecked Goldwing and have that installed in his bike. He claimed the cost was about the same as having his transmission rebuilt and he ended up with a complete low mileage power train. The other owner parked his in the garage and bought a new Goldwing. He claims he is going to take the bike apart himself and have the trans rebuilt. The pertinent fact is both these bikes were well over 100.000 miles. The one that is still parked in the garage was about 180,000.

This kind of a long post but I still bought a f6b and I have know about this problem for a long time. It is only a problem on a very few bikes and something you can usually live with if you are aware of it.
    I think that the pertinent question would be at what point should a person possibly look into having it looked at "BEFORE" someone has to fork over $3500-$4500? Like before the warranty has expired. That would be the dilemma most would have on their minds. Do you take it in after one experience, or wait until it's past the warranty period? I've experienced it once in 24,000 miles. Have 2 years left of warranty. If I were to experience it one or more times again, I'm going to be thinking.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Since I started this thing, guess I should post an update. I have 36,000 miles on my '13 F6B and still have not experienced the ghost shifts I had on my two full Wings. Hope it never starts.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ghost Shifting

I have 30,000 miles on my F6B and just starting to have a shifting problem in second gear.
    I had the same problem on my 2001(Kept popping out of second gear).
    My 2013 is starting to hesitate and makes a bang noise when I down shift into second slow roll around a corner and get back on the gas without shifting.
    I bought this used and with 4,000 miles on it.
    I ride it everyday and it has just started to happen.
    I can get it to do it almost every time I downshift.
    Not sure what the warranty period is on this bike but, I need to get it checked out ASAP!!!
    I will let you know what happens.

2013 Honda Goldwing F6B Deluxe
    Red
    Indianapolis, Indiana

Quote Originally Posted by encinoman View Post
    I have 30,000 miles on my F6B and just starting to have a shifting problem in second gear.
    My 2013 is starting to hesitate and makes a bang noise when I down shift into second slow roll around a corner and get back on the gas without shifting.
    Not sure what the warranty period is on this bike but, I need to get it checked out ASAP!!!
    I forget what the standard warranty is. When I purchased mine, one of the purchase incentives was a 4 year warranty.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Quote Originally Posted by encinoman View Post
    If you've got something like this that's measurable, observable, and repeatable - it's warranty time!
    Looking forward to your update!
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce