Phantom Shifts - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Phantom Shifts

2014 Transmission Updates

If you compare 2013 and 2014 transmissions on one of the OEM parts websites, you can see that Honda changed the part numbers for three parts (mainshaft gear 2/3, 4, and 5) in 2014. Somewhere on the web I saw photos comparing the old and new parts. Honda clearly knew they had a problem, though from what I've read it's pretty rare, like the rear brake issue.

I've only heard of a few reports where the ghost shifting actually caused damage. Those cases were bent shift forks.

I think that I just experienced something like this on my 2016.

I was on the highway taking an off ramp and had just shifted from 5th to 4th, decelerating and with the clutch fully out. About 500' after that I heard the dreaded gear crackling noise, and immediately pulled in the clutch, and shifted back up in to 5th, which stopped the noise. Firmly shifted back down to 4th and was ok for the rest of the ride.

First time I've ever heard it on the bike (4,600 +/- miles and recently serviced), and kind of think that maybe I just hadn't shifted firmly enough for it to catch completely.

IDK...

Quote Originally Posted by pilotguy299 View Post
    I think that I just experienced something like this on my 2016.

I was on the highway taking an off ramp and had just shifted from 5th to 4th, decelerating and with the clutch fully out. About 500' after that I heard the dreaded gear crackling noise, and immediately pulled in the clutch, and shifted back up in to 5th, which stopped the noise. Firmly shifted back down to 4th and was ok for the rest of the ride.

First time I've ever heard it on the bike (4,600 +/- miles and recently serviced), and kind of think that maybe I just hadn't shifted firmly enough for it to catch completely.

IDK...
    It happened to me too, but I'm pretty sure I get lazy shifting. When I'm aware and shift firm, no problem.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

2015 F6B

No shifting problems and am running Honda full synthetic in the bike. Never had it do anything I thought was out of the ordinary. Just over 9 grand on the clock.

Quote Originally Posted by wjduke View Post
    It happened to me too, but I'm pretty sure I get lazy shifting. When I'm aware and shift firm, no problem.
    I agree with you Duke.
    I know that sometimes I shift too softly when Puttsying around out in the country. A firmer shift always fixes the problem.

Have a question concerning 5th gear. When I shift into 5th it goes in no problem, but there's this extra clunk for lack of a better word. I'm not sure what it is, and I don't remeber it always being there. A coupe weeks ago I was accidentally shifted up into 5th while I was already in 5th. So, I'm wondering if I messed up something in the gear box, or is this normal for the Goldwing transmission? Anyone else have or know what I'm trying to explain? All the other gerars are smooth as silk and I know it doesn't require any effort practically to shift this transmission. (BTW, I rode my friend's '09 HD street glide today and it shifted so hard. I really didn't care for it.) Thanks

I've experienced this as well.