Looking for Advice: Applachian Trial, Gettysburg to Chrerokee

Thread: Looking for Advice: Applachian Trial, Gettysburg to Chrerokee

Looking for Advice: Applachian Trial, Gettysburg to Chrerokee

I'm looking to ride the Tail of the Dragon in a few months and would like to ride the Applachian Trail from Cherokee NC to Gettysburg. I'm originating/ending in Minneapolis so I'm open to either north or south option. I'm getting grief from Google and Bing trying to map the route. Goign north I'm able to map through the Blue Ridge Parkway to Skyline Drive and then I'm not sure the best route going north from there? Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by TwinCitiesRider View Post
    I'm looking to ride the Tail of the Dragon in a few months and would like to ride the Applachian Trail from Cherokee NC to Gettysburg. I'm originating/ending in Minneapolis so I'm open to either north or south option. I'm getting grief from Google and Bing trying to map the route. Goign north I'm able to map through the Blue Ridge Parkway to Skyline Drive and then I'm not sure the best route going north from there? Thoughts?
    Just Google till you puke. You will find more stuff than you can read. Good luck. The Appalachian Trail is a hiking trail and not a road.
    Deer Slayer
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it.

Your best bet is the blue ridge parkway, this will take you from PA to Cherokee. From there you will be about 1.5 hrs from deals gap aka the dragon. Hit me up if you need any info. I am local to the dragon.
    Jordan

Deer Slayer.... +1...puttin knobies on the F6?
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Skyline is beautiful. Depending on what time of year you go you may want to hit the Blue Ridge parkway website and check for closures. Parts of the B R P do close from time to time.

The Jeb Stuart restaurant in Front Royal was good the last time I was there.

in addition to the Tail of the Dragon check out highway 28, Wayah Road, and wheels through time Museum in Maggie Valley North Carolina. The Cherohala skyway is also great. Be careful on 129 if you hit it on the weekend. Lots of traffic and cops.

In addition to what others have suggested, you may want to consider riding the "Diamond Back" and the "Snake". Both are near the "Dragon". Dale and Matt Wachsler owners of the "Wheels through Time" museum are great to talk with and are there a lot of the time. If you're going to ride the Blue Ridge, be prepared for both temp and weather changes with different elevation changes. Ride safe!