Pick up trucks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pick up trucks

Pick up trucks

My Tahoe has 150k miles on it, and I'm getting antsy to buy a pick up. What's everyone driving? My Tahoe has been trouble free with only oil changes every 5k miles. I did take it in at 100k and have the tranny and differential serviced. I may drive it to 200k miles before I do something however. Curious as to what brand you are driving and why. With the good luck that I've had from my Chevy, I may go that route, but the fact Ford didn't take a gov't bail out has had me cruising the Ford dealerships as of late. Never owned a Dodge product, the Toyota's are supposed to be good vehicles, but I can't get used to the style. What say you?

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    Ford F350 Diesel (7.3 ltr) built in Kentucky and Toyota Tundra (5.7 ltr) built in Texas

If it's a NEW Diesel truck that you are looking for .... Cummings is the BEST diesel at the moment

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

150,000 miles. I'm close to 300,000 on my 1993 F 150. No need to get a new truck. Fuel mileage is not any better than my truck. Taxes are low. No truck payment. Insurance is only to protect injured and the other vehicle IF I am at fault.

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    More options than ever before,,,

My current truck has a LIFETIME powertrain warranty and does everything I need it to do, so

I do like reading about 'new stuff',,, New V-6 diesel for light trucks (RAM) Aluminum body (2015 F-150)

Got to admit, the twin turbo Ford F-150 gassers (current and future) look interesting,,,

Depends on what ya need and what ya like. My current ride is a 09 RAM,,, First dodge product ever. No real complaints,,,

Used to be GM all the way until they reduced the head room,,, =( (The old 'Toy's' were worse yet!)

Appearance,,, Jeesh,,, "YMMV"

Attachment 4806Attachment 48072014 GMC 1500 4x4 all terrain pretty sweet

Quote Originally Posted by Scotrod View Post

Appearance,,, Jeesh,,, "YMMV"
    If appearance didn't mean anything, I wouldn't have married the prettiest girl in Oklahoma, and I don't want no ugly truck! The ford aluminum body is a concern. Friend of mine has a Cayenne, all aluminum. The door dings on that thing are awful, plus we get a lot of hail (and tornados) here. I'm going to look at all of em, the dodge and the Toyota also. That new v6 diesel by Dodge sounds cool, but what's the advantage with diesel costing a buck more? Not to mention the spills always around the pump. Stinky. We have a lot of CNG conversions in town too.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptRob View Post
    Attachment 4806Attachment 48072014 GMC 1500 4x4 all terrain pretty sweet
    Yessir that's the best lookin one out there. When I said I might stay with chevy, I meant to say gm. The jimmy is a far better looking truck than the chevy.

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hiflyer View Post
    The ford aluminum body is a concern. Friend of mine has a Cayenne, all aluminum. The door dings on that thing are awful, plus we get a lot of hail (and tornados) here. I'm going to look at all of em, the dodge and the Toyota also. That new v6 diesel by Dodge sounds cool, but what's the advantage with diesel costing a buck more? Not to mention the spills always around the pump. Stinky. We have a lot of CNG conversions in town too.
    I hear ya on the aluminum, and unless you're a Farmer, diesel is a stinky, nasty fuel. ANY diesel engine would not work out for me on paper ($$$) due to what I use my truck for. I don't need what it offers vs a ~small-ish~ gasser. I have the 5.7 and it's actually more than I need to drag just me and my SWB regular cab 13 miles in town on level ground back and forth to work ! LOL!!!

Still nice to read about 'aluminum', 'V-6 Diesel', '2.7 Eco-Boost's," etc!. (Saw the cut-away version of the 2.7 at the auto show,,, JEESH!!! 4 tiny valves in each tiny {450 cc} cylinder,,, seemed like a toy!)

I also agree, between GM and Chevy, I like the GM's appearance better!

Even so, it seems like most new vehicle looks take time to grow on me,,,

Quote Originally Posted by hiflyer View Post
    Yessir that's the best lookin one out there. When I said I might stay with chevy, I meant to say gm. The jimmy is a far better looking truck than the chevy.
    this will be the next mod Attachment 4812

WELL

My neighbor many years ago was a Dodge fan and auto mechanic. I was into Fords at the time. When it came time to get rid of the big Ford I test drove a new Dodge Ram with the 20" wheels. WOW! The dam thing handeled like a sports car. Those 20" wheels make all the difference. It had the 5.7 liter which at the time was 350 HP I have had two others since back then. I am now driving a 2011 Ramm 4X4 with the 5.7 liter Hemi and this one has 390 HP It gets about 15.4 around town and up to 25 on the highway. It has that 4 cylinder cutout on it. When at idle or at a flat cruise speed, 4 cylinders drop out. But as all have said, it depends on what you like. I myself will buy another Dodge.