Anti Drone
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anti Drone

Anti Drone

Well it was clouds and lots of rain today. So I pulled the left side header pipe off so I could get to the inside of the cross over. You will have to un plug the O2 sensor. It's plug is behind and slighty below the audio controls. I noted the crossover is the same id as muffler inlet. Rather than fully block the crossover I chose to weld in a disc with holes. The disc has lots of 1/8 holes. This will pass pressure and not as much noise.
    I then installed my hooligan Honda GL1800 mufflers. This extra set has the front baffle removed and 3 extra holes on the outlet for a total of 4 outlets each.
    Next I removed the single pipe baffle from both tips and install them. I love the sound. I do not hear any drone. 5500 rpm shifts will put a big ass grin on your face. The rolloff from 5500 rpm is also sweet.
    Now I have to get Hornblower to ride my F6B and give me a grade.
    Tune in for later update.
    Yes I did ride in the rain..
    Deer Slayer
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it.

Rode 180 miles today. All types roads. The anti drone appears spot on. I can not detect any drone at any rpm. I do know that this sucker sounds great in 4th running between 2500 to 3500 rpm.

I still want to get Hornblower to check this system out. He is down in his back ( pray for him). I think he picked up a heavy wine glass. I did ride over and show off for him. He said my my set up is a 6 into 2 into 8.. Four outlets each muffler. I must say the hooligan mufflers are a tad loud.
    More updates to follow.
    Deer Slayer

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Slayer View Post
    Rode 180 miles today. All types roads. The anti drone appears spot on. I can not detect any drone at any rpm. I do know that this sucker sounds great in 4th running between 2500 to 3500 rpm.

I still want to get Hornblower to check this system out. He is down in his back ( pray for him). I think he picked up a heavy wine glass. I did ride over and show off for him. He said my my set up is a 6 into 2 into 8.. Four outlets each muffler. I must say the hooligan mufflers are a tad loud.
    More updates to follow.
    Can we get some pics and video/audio of this please?

I know a picture is worth a thousand words. Will post some soon.
    Deer Slayer

Yes, DS dropped by yesterday afternoon to show off his exhaust mods . Basically, he fashioned a perforated metal disc and welded it in the cross-over tube. The idea was to eliminate drone but to allow pressures to equalize. He is using OEM mufflers taken off a previous GW that had been given a life sentence for hitting and killing a deer (his second one) On that muffler system, he had drilled some pretty large holes to pump up the volume just a bit. As he mentioned, I am still recovering from a back "tweak" but drug myself outside to hear this new setup and I must say, the sound is very good. It has a deeper rumble that is quite nice. Some might say the sound is somewhat Porsche-like, at least, that's what came to my mind. My neighbors and I really enjoyed hearing him leave .

Can we discuss drone just a bit more? What is it? I thought I knew what it was but some of us may be thinking of different things when we mention it. To me, drone is a very resonant and constant hum that can get pretty loud at highway speeds. Others describe drone as a varying noise, rapidly alternating from soft to loud. If the later is truly the definition, then, I don't have drone. This may explain why some with the same setup claim they have drone while others say they don't . What do the rest of you think?

HB this should be a good round of post
    To me drone is compared to a multi engine aircraft with the engines out of syn. This was done in WW II by air forces at night to keep the other side up all night.
    Deer Slayer

HB, I agree with your definition of drone, A constant hum between certain RPMS, usually at highway speeds.
    Jakec

I know a picture is worth a thousand words. Will post some soon.
    Ok, pix 1. note rust in the original tips. The tips are of mild steel. Insides of tips will be treeted with rust stop and holes will be filled. These are scrap mufflers from a deer mishap. My originals will just have 3 pipes per side. I will weld ss pipes to the holes and paint hi temp flat black along with inside of the tips. Work in progress. Attachment 3705

Ya'll mite want to look in your own tips. You will have to remove them and look in from inlet end.
    7,000 miles, July 2013 on my tips.
    Deer Slayer

Ok, pix 1. note rust in the original tips. The tips are of mild steel. Insides will be treeted with rust stop and holes will be filled. These are scrap mufflers from a deer mishap. My originals will just have 3 pipes per side. I will weld ss pipes to the holes and paint hi temp flat black along with inside of the tips. Work in progressAttachment 3705
    So...are you saying you will wind up with your own version of the 6-2-6?

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    So...are you saying you will wind up with your own version of the 6-2-6?
    Uh Huh, with only paint cost. You know I am a cheep bastard.
    Deer Slayer