No love for the stock mini shield. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No love for the stock mini shield.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    1951vbs likes the OEM shield.

I really liked the stock shield at first. It's great with a full face helmet. Nothing but clean buffet free air (unless you're behind a semi). But the drawback is not being able to hear the radio very well, if at all. For my commuting I like to wear a half helmet so I can hear my radio well and drink coffee or water, so I prefer a taller shield. My current favorite is a used GW shield that I cut down to 15 inches high. It's low enough to see over but also wider to keep ear buffeting to a minimum.

I will put the stocker back on for some rides this summer. I like being able to switch back and forth.

Baggershield without the top section on is great and I could use the top section if the need comes up. I did not like the look of the fasteners or the upper section so I tried it with out first.
    I went to hardware store got some cool black covers for the holes. windshield seems just right for me I am 6 foot tall. The extra width really helps with the noise in the helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyf6b View Post
    I really liked the stock shield at first. It's great with a full face helmet. Nothing but clean buffet free air (unless you're behind a semi). But the drawback is not being able to hear the radio very well, if at all. For my commuting I like to wear a half helmet so I can hear my radio well and drink coffee or water, so I prefer a taller shield. My current favorite is a used GW shield that I cut down to 15 inches high. It's low enough to see over but also wider to keep ear buffeting to a minimum.

I will put the stocker back on for some rides this summer. I like being able to switch back and forth.
    It's not a commuter for me, just weekend pleasure rides, very little interstate. So, the little shield opens the road up for me without needing the full wing living room bubble. Even with the 11" baggershield I have, the radio sounds terrible any any reasonable speed. Only good for talk radio. So I use in ear buds wired into the intercom/radio for my iPod.

On the other hand, I am looking for a bigger shield for cold weather ops or for long touring. I'm planning a long BRP trek and would use the big shield for that. But for warmer weekend day trips, I'm liking the shortie.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotrod View Post
    1951vbs likes the OEM shield.
    Yes I do!

I also know everyone has their own criteria for what works best factoring in wind/rain/cold protection, buffeting, heat build-up, audio and looks. What's best for you depends on what climate you ride in, gear choice (full-face or not), audio (ear buds/helmet speakers or not), past experience and looks.

I bought my F6B for several reasons but very high on the list was LOOKS! IMO the taller the wind-shield the more it looks like a Goldwing without a trunk. My past experience with short or "sport" wind screens has been very good concerning buffeting and the stock F6B screen gives me no buffet. Short screens do however put your helmet in the full wind stream and there is enough wind noise that you can not hear the radio well at speed. Again IMO you will not be happy with the stock screen unless you wear; a full-face helmet with ear plugs or ear buds. Even though I ride and commute year round rain and cold protection are not a factor for me with my full face helmet. Full face helmets are hot in the summer so the full breeze is welcome in those conditions.

As this thread shows I am not the only one that likes the short screen but definitely in the minority. No problem for me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by gwprime View Post
    Do you get wind buffeting with the short wind screen? I have not picked up my bike yet, I have been look at wind shields as I also wear a full face when riding
    I did not get any wind buffeting with the shorty shield.I am 6' 2" and wear a full face helmet
    Ride it like you stole it

I like the shorty shield right where it is. On a shelf in my garage.

It was 36 on my ride in this morning though. My bagger shield is fine for now.

MRA X-Creen

Quote Originally Posted by projectapollo View Post
    The small stock shield gets no love. But I like it. Although, I use a full face helmet so that helps. I really like the unconstructed view of the road and the cool look of the bike. Anyone else like this configuration? Here is my 6 after an twilight local ride tonight. Very refreshing.

This little addition will completely transform your stock screen from a useless hunk of plastic to a very functional, multi-setting shield. I have the bolt-on tour version that can be bought at www.twistedthrottle.com
    Attached Images Attached Images