laying 6 on it's side
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: laying 6 on it's side

laying 6 on it's side

put nomenclature in Google/youtube a couple of times to pull up video for laying the six on it's side, can't find video, anyone have a link. Thanks in advance.

13 F6B Deluxe I've taken the road less traveled, now where the hell am I?
    I don't buy a bike to impress other people, just me !!

Thanks FlaMike, on second thought, I don't think I want to do that.

I hadn't watch these before I posted.

Couple of things.
    1.Make sure gas tank is NOT full. Closer to empty or 1/4 tank at most.
    2. Put bike in gear before you lift. Keeps bike from rolling around during pickup. Kick stand down.

I have a table lift so I don't have to do this (unless I drop the bike) but I wouldn't have a problem changing a tire this way.
    Rubber mat/ carpet under crash bars and no damage done. But I can understand not wanting to see your bike on it's side.
    I have a local indy shop mount tires on the my wheels BUT I always R & R wheel/tire back on bike. I trust ME.
    13 F6B Deluxe I've taken the road less traveled, now where the hell am I?
    I don't buy a bike to impress other people, just me !!

I can attest to the crash bars doing there job, I accidently backed into my bike with my Quad while plowing snow in Feb. Knocked it over off the center stand, no damage to paint, just a little to the crash bars themselves and of course where the Quad made contact with the rad cover. picking the bike up was easier than I thought it was going to be. so with some pads on the floor and easing the bike over on the crash bars, there shouldn't be any issues. JMHO. good luck with what ever you decide. Jay

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    (Good tips FlaMike!!!!)

Layin it over seems to be a popular way of changing the rear tire. Many have done so with no ill effects whatsoever. (I have not done it,,,, yet,,,)

I do admit, it makes me feel a little woozy looking at any bike laid over like that,, Just ain't natural!!!

The 'Honda' way involves placing the bike on its centerstand and removal of the rear 'centerpiece' between the saddlebags. Tire rolls out the back. It's not supposed to be a difficult process. Probably less grunting involved with that method than lowering/lifting the bike,,,

I have a Handy lift, I am going to use it. Will probably use 1x w/jack under the engine to give me a little more room to replace suspension link to !" lower one.

everyone should be able to pick up their bike if needed. Even my wife has picked up both the Goldwing and the Valkyrie using this method:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeLkrPkjimo

If you can’t pick it up you should not be riding it…...
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Well, you can lay it over on it's side on purpose or not First time for everything as they say...my buddy DeerSlayer and I were riding on some side roads around the Blue Ridge Parkway. Some of these roads rise steeply as they intersect with the Parkway. One of these particularly steep ones caught me somewhat by surprise and, next thing I know, my bike is laying over on the right side. Not sure, but I think I got caught leaning to the right and couldn't use my foot brake so, I hit the front brake to hold on the steep hill and it gently layed over on it's side. About the time I think I'm a pretty competent rider, something like this to humble me . Oh well, that's probably a good thing. Anyway, DS parked his bike and came over to help me get it upright. We made sure it was still in 1st because if it wasn't, we would never catch that thing going backwards downhill. One other thing I learned from this...the crashbars are amazing and fully protected my bike from any other damage, including my Rivco Aero Pegs which, of course, were not deployed at the time.
    Ken (Hornblower)