laying 6 on it's side - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: laying 6 on it's side

Anyone wanting to attempt the procedure of laying the 6 on its side should view any of the several available videos on the subject! Most important is to use your legs for the actual lowering and lifting and not your back.

With just 1200 miles on my 6, I used the procedure without incident. Made sure I had pieces of carpet on my garage floor to rest the crash bars on. IMHO this positions the bike perfectly for the rear wheel removal. No requirement to remove body panels and brackets. Make sure the bike is in gear, remove the lug nuts, lower the center stand and out slips the wheel/tire. I then installed a 195/55-R16 General G-Max which required a few nudges as the CT is a tad wider than the OEM tire.

000_0459_1.jpg000_0460.jpg000_0461.jpg

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Probably a dozen plus vids on YouBoob with Wings all layin on their sides,,,

Couldn't find any changing a GL1800 rear tire the 'Honda' way,,,

Honda way really doesn't work so well if you have a trailer hitch,,,

Picked up a nail at 7200 miles and decided to go with the lay 'er down method. No drama, no issues. Even being my first time it was a 10 minute job.

As my luck would have it...I just picked up ANOTHER nail last night in my 1100 mile old G704 so this time in the interest of knowledge I decided I would do it the "Honda Approved" way. I have about 20 minutes involved so far, I have not yet put everything back together. It is no doubt a longer process that the lay er down method but it is not as bad as people make it out to be (with no trailer hitch, I am sure that is a whole nother ball game). The panel removal is no problem, brace is easy, Amp is two bolts and a wire clip. Really the toughest part of the Honda method is getting at the lug nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by F6BPDX View Post
    Picked up a nail at 7200 miles and decided to go with the lay 'er down method. No drama, no issues. Even being my first time it was a 10 minute job.

As my luck would have it...I just picked up ANOTHER nail last night in my 1100 mile old G704 so this time in the interest of knowledge I decided I would do it the "Honda Approved" way. I have about 20 minutes involved so far, I have not yet put everything back together. It is no doubt a longer process that the lay er down method but it is not as bad as people make it out to be (with no trailer hitch, I am sure that is a whole nother ball game). The panel removal is no problem, brace is easy, Amp is two bolts and a wire clip. Really the toughest part of the Honda method is getting at the lug nuts.
    Now that the job is done I can say that while it did take a little bit longer there was certainly nothing difficult about the Honda method. if I had a spare wheel it would have been probably a 30-35 minute job from the first lugnut loosened to the last one tightened. I did feel better about leaving the bike for the day being that it was in its intended upright position, but I left it lying down for a full 24 hours last time with no ill effects either. I am going to call this one a wash, and would use either method again just depending on what suited my fancy at the time.