HID info needed
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HID info needed

HID info needed

Seems like a few folks have installed HID. Who did you buy from at what price and are you happy with the performance? HIDs seem to go as lo as $25 all the way up to So Cal's $165. So who has a good kit as a Reasonable price? From what I've read some higher end HID bulbs have a coating that prevents UV the bulb produces from affecting the plastic headlight lens and housings. The other thing that was suggested was staying in the 35 watt ballast range so I don't blister the housing itself from excessive heat, which some said would happen with a 55 watt ballast/bulb? Any experienced advice guys, I'm on info over load (searched this and other Goldwing sites but didn't come up with much)and as much as I'd like a nice cheap $40 dollar Chinese setup( that's were they all seem to be coming from anyways), I want to do it right 1st time, any advice?
    ss^,
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by fxdl2051 View Post
    Seems like a few folks have installed HID. Who did you buy from at what price and are you happy with the performance? HIDs seem to go as lo as $25 all the way up to So Cal's $165. So who has a good kit as a Reasonable price? From what I've read some higher end HID bulbs have a coating that prevents UV the bulb produces from affecting the plastic headlight lens and housings. The other thing that was suggested was staying in the 35 watt ballast range so I don't blister the housing itself from excessive heat, which some said would happen with a 55 watt ballast/bulb? Any experienced advice guys, I'm on info over load (searched this and other Goldwing sites but didn't come up with much)and as much as I'd like a nice cheap $40 dollar Chinese setup( that's were they all seem to be coming from anyways), I want to do it right 1st time, any advice?
    So Cal is the best money can buy in my opinion. You get what you pay for with all the others.
    Let it be known and let it be written, this is the best bike I've ever owned, and I ain't shittin!

Get the So Cal kit only.Other members tried cheaper kits and they work.I tried a $75 kit and a $125 kit and both made the radio play just static no music.I moved the ballasts wrapped them in aluminum foil and nothing worked from giving me nothing but static through the radio.I purchased the So Cal kit and no problems radio worked
    Ride it like you stole it

HID lighting

I have 3 set's from DDM tuning never any problems in 67000 miles
    and the price is great 35w 5K good white light and no head light
    damage.

Quote Originally Posted by fxdl2051 View Post
    Seems like a few folks have installed HID.

I want to do it right 1st time, any advice?
    Not exactly; most people install HID bulbs/ballasts into the OEM reflector. This is not an HID system and not the way to go IMO.

If you really want to do it right, then do an HID projector retrofit and have a real HID headlight. The H1 kit from The Retrofit Source is essentially plug-n-play and will give you real HID performance.

Frankly, I thought the OEM headlights were subpar for the longest time... until I investigated my headlight aim. It seems the GL1800 comes factory aimed for two up riding or riding with luggage. That is, the headlights are aimed fairly low in order to compensate for rear loading. Try aiming your headlights before deciding you need an upgrade; I did and I think the OEM's are just fine when aimed right. BTW, no tools are needed to adjust the headlights vertically. Just reach up under the front of the fairing and locate the adjustment turn wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post
    Not exactly; most people install HID bulbs/ballasts into the OEM reflector. This is not an HID system and not the way to go IMO.

If you really want to do it right, then do an HID projector retrofit and have a real HID headlight. The H1 kit from The Retrofit Source is essentially plug-n-play and will give you real HID performance.

Frankly, I thought the OEM headlights were subpar for the longest time... until I investigated my headlight aim. It seems the GL1800 comes factory aimed for two up riding or riding with luggage. That is, the headlights are aimed fairly low in order to compensate for rear loading. Try aiming your headlights before deciding you need an upgrade; I did and I think the OEM's are just fine when aimed right. BTW, no tools are needed to adjust the headlights vertically. Just reach up under the front of the fairing and locate the adjustment turn wheel.
    That is worth knowing, I'll try that and see what happens! Do you recall how many turns and in what direction you settled on for adjustment? Just went to url site you listed, some of those headlights look exactly like whats on the current crop of Harleys, hmm, I wonder? Thanks again.
    ss^,
    Ken

I used the SoCal low beam kit.
    I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something here but these kits don't look plug-n-play for an F6B to me . In fact, just doing some searching for projectors that fit Honda Goldwings, I see several kits that replace the entire headlight assemblies but unfortunately, they run around $1000. Are you saying you have installed projectors on your bike and if so, which kit from The Retrofit Source did you use?
    Ken (Hornblower)

Ummmmm HID of some type is the way to go....Cycle Gear has them and a warranty, I got mine from a local vendor and paid $75 , lifetime warranty....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Moderator / V-twin Gobbler GiddyupF6B's Avatar
    Sportiva kit with adapters, less than $80. I ran them on my m109 and the same kit was 3 years trouble free when I sold the 9. Sportvia kit has been on my F6B for almost a year trouble free. One kit comes with 2 of everything....bulbs and ballasts. Just need to buy the adapters they sell which keeps you in the $80 range. Customer service is really good too...I had a friend whose ballast went and they replaced it no questions asked. I see people spending over $200 for the Goldwing specific kit made by one company and just don't understand why people spending that kind of money.