Photo: Which one of us made the news?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photo: Which one of us made the news?

Photo: Which one of us made the news?

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_25...eed-hone-their

Happened across this today, wondering if its a member.

Nice Pic…Article is total . The article blames motorcycle deaths on age, when it fact it should be blamed on money! The age group , 45-60 has the most disposable income and that is the sole reason there are more deaths in this group…period! The are basically two types of traffic deaths w/ motorcycles, speed by the rockets and older folks who have raised their kids and want to go back to their youth w/ bikes with too much money and a lost ability to ride. And now how fast bikes are and it is a recipe for tragic results! The latest quote, “ I like to go fast “ comes to mind. The story would have been ok if they had based their thoughts on the root causes of accidents instead of dumping it all on old age!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

I am 74 years old and have been riding for over 60 years on various types of bikes...I realize that I may be slowing down a little but my reflexes and awareness skills are still pretty damn good...I am a cautious rider and do not take chances like some idiots on sportbikes do at times, and I am always watching my surroundings..I know that some older folks should not ride due to health issues, etc..but there are a lot of younger riders out there that are far more dangerous than me...I think the article is pure "BS" and is typical Denver liberal left wing crap!!!....

I agree that the article is nonsense. Using age makes no sense without factoring in the other circumstances. A guy who is 60, and has ridden solid for 40 years, putting 12k a year on his bike vs. a 60 year old who "rode dirt bikes as a kid" and goes out and buys a Road King to play pirate on the weekends are two VERY different statistics.

Guys and Gals..I have to go with "aging riders is the problem". I mean, ask yourselves: Can an older rider get out of a jam like this? Lol

Oh, yeah..I don't see a helmet either. Lol x 2

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/vi...ay-news-9.html

I call BS

This article tries to place causative factor on age, while completely ignoring one major fact. NHTSA statistics continually and regularly show that approximately 50% of motorcycle fatalities involve the rider having consumed alcohol. If there is something to be learned, it's that it probably isn't a good idea to "bar hop," get sloppy, and then get on a 900 lb. motorcycle.

Here's some information from a USC/NHTSA study conducted in 2006. Good points to keep in mind, particularly high visibility clothing.

Ride safe/sober!!!

http://www.motorcycle-accidents.com/pages/stats.html

It always cracks me up to read the comments from these Articles. Like this one

"I think what gets more older riders killed on bikes is a combination of alcohol, and like the guy in the picture above, no helmet and armor, and big, heavy, cumbersome bikes like the one he's riding that are beasts to handle, don't turn or stop as quick. Pretty easy to see how losing it on a curve would be on a 700-800 pound bike like that. Throw a few beers into the equation, throw your leg over your Harley wearing only leather chaps and the ubiquitous Harley Davidson t-shirt for protection... Yup, your asking for it."

Clearly he has never ridden a wing of any sorts. Calls it a heavy cumbersome bike

Cool pic! Looks like he's smoking a cigar too. The man definitely embraces life and doesn't give a f@@k what anyone thinks. I didn't bother reading the article.

I think the article made sense, I have seen my share of guys who hit there forties and decide it's time to go back to riding. Hell I did the same thing 14 years ago when I hit forty five. The bottom line is we all lose a step with age and need to use our experience to see accidents before they happen and avoid them.

I did notice it was a picture of the faster red bike!
    John (Jay) Bettua
    2014 F6b Red- sold 2016
    2020 Goldwing Matte Black
    Retired U.S. Air Force MSgt