Quote Originally Posted by Mustangjake View Post
The first law is easy to believe:*The friction between two surfaces is proportional to the force pressing one to the other.*This force could be the weight of a motorcycle pressing the tire into the pavement, or the clamping force pressing two pieces of wood together. "Proportional" just means that if you double the pressing force you double the friction.*The second law is where all the trouble starts. To understand it, suppose you set up an experiment. You put a brick on a table and investigate how much force it takes to start the brick sliding. You screw an eyebolt into the brick, run a line from the eyebolt to a pulley on the edge of the table, and then attach weights to the end of the line. You add weight until the brick starts to slide.Now here's the interesting part, and the surprising part. You would notice that the orientation of the brick doesn't make any difference. That is, the friction is the same whether the brick is on its large face, the smaller side, or the small end.

I never compared a brick to a tire!

If that was relevant in tires a dragster would have skinny tires for the least rolling resistance.

They, of course, do not.

We had a physics teacher that told his students otherwise using the brick example. his insistence that the bumblebee could not possibly fly despite observational proof turned dozens of kids off of physics. His successor showed where he was wrong. I forget how she did it.

The reason I don't welcome Teach's input is because there are hundreds of threads debating the merits of ct. I don't want to hear from any more people who have never and will never try it. 100,000s of thousands of miles have been very successfully been put on CTs. Probably millions of miles. The question I'd like to explore, and what this thread was about, is what kind of CT is the best for the F6B. The endless debate just detracts from that with no benefit.