Quote Originally Posted by bob109 View Post
Doc:

Thanks for the advice on the powder-coating. I have a local company, Sterling Products, who does powder-c and may go that route in the future.

I promise that I'll keep some very detailed records of my experience with the G-MAC CT. I have a Laser Thermometer that will be used for capturing tire temp after low/high speed riding. I'll perform that procedure on the current Bridgestone and have that info for future comparison. Along with the install mileage/date, the capturing of tread depth will be recorded every 1K miles. I initially plan on taking the bike to the nearest large parking lot for some repeated slow turn maneuvers. I like to get a feel for the tire before blazing out on the highways. Like a MT, assuring the "mold release agents" are scrubbed off will be another first on the list. Usually while the tire is in the static balancer I'll rotate the tire and hit it with some course emery cloth by hand.

Additional photos will be added to this post as time/things progress.

P.S. If and when you publish that book put me first on your list for a "Autographed Copy"
Bob, I did the same kind of laser thermo testing on the Dunlop tires during the entire eyar of '03, when they used me as a tester. it really helps to use that laser thermometer. You really sound like you do know what you are doing with tire scrubbing and testing, and that is good for US, as we get to see your results. If truth be told, I would like to go to a CT, but the only real concern I have is sidewall stability and durability in the long run. If I can get past that hurdle, and be convinced that a CT will be stable at high speeds, and that the sidewall stress will not cause it to blow out on me at speed, then I may be a convert.

Re: the powder-c wheels, I have had very good success with what they refer to as 90% high gloss. On the F6B, it may make more sense to go with a flat black, but on my 3 different 1800 Wings, which were all the Titanium color bike...I went with 90% high gloss Black. It is unfortunate that the casting and finish of the GL1800 wheels is so bad compared to what the GL1500 wheels were. The GL1500 wheels were so smooth, and a very good finish. But when the GL1800's came out, riders were immediately upset about the course finish on the wheels, which caused a lot of riders to either have their wheels chromed, or powder-c. While I am not known for having a clean or polished bike...it does make cleanup much easier for all the road grime and brake dust on the wheel surface.

The rear wheel is very easy to have done, with only the need to replace the valve stem (it needs to be removed to do the powder-c. But on the front wheel, a perfect time to do that is when changing the second or third SET of tires, so the bike has 30k to 45k miles on it, and then is a acceptable time to go ahead and replace the front wheel bearings and seals.

Personally, I do not like the finish on these F6B wheels either, despite being Black. I will probably have my wheels powder-c this coming Winter, when the bike has 45k to 60k on it.

As for the book, I will put your name on one of the first copies.

BTW, smart choice of the CT you decided on. If you are going to use a CT, that is a good one.