F6B To The Dark Side - Page 8
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: F6B To The Dark Side

The hydroplaning argument is BS. If that was an issue then the trikes would be slip sliding all over the place, they run two CT's.

The guy I met last weekend was running a winter tire. Softer compound (better grip), more sipes (better wet traction) and long wear. And what MT has center water channels like a CT?

8799641993246_up_500x500_michelin_primacyalpinpa3_bsw_3562.jpg

FYI, I haven't put a CT on my bike YET, but I have ridden bikes with them and had no issue with it. When the only argument is "you can't do that cuz it isn't safe" then I can't wait to do it, especially when tons of other people are doing it with great results. I don't understand the passion against it. Doing wheelies isn't safe, but I bet alot more people have been hurt or damaged their bikes from doing wheelies then from running a CT.

1gw1800wheelie.jpg

Cool

....I call B.S. on a CT hydroplaning ...I have ridden in an absolute monsoon and the bike never even squirmed....my definition of a monsoon...raining in buckets with a minimum of one inch of water on the road... I would not say it is impossible, but I would think less than a MC tire..... whole different story if you have 40K miles on it and it is worn out...
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Apology

First and foremost things are beginning to spin out of control on this Post/Threads. This in not what I had in mind when I made the decision to share my experience with a CT on my F6B. Unfortunately in my "terse way" I've managed to offend several people and I humbly apologize for that. We have extremely dedicated riders/cyclists who have shared valid concerns and they are being "trashed" for doing so. This topic of a CT on a motorcycle deserves the "entire picture", "pros and cons" etc. Only then can individuals make a rational choice on what is right for them. All the elements that have been mentioned to date are valid, bar none. We can disagree but lets do it in a fashion which doesn't offend, attack or otherwise show contempt for each other. We have enough of that inside Washington's Belt Way.
    Knowing every possible scenario on this highly charged topic requires debate. We can do that like the gentleman we all are!

Respectfully

Bob

I meant no disrespect nor felt any. Just throwing in my two pennies.

+1............
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Car tire

I getting the one I post the picture Of earlier my Daughter is buying it for me for my birthday!
    Otherwise I would already had it. As i get older she says it hard to find me something.
    I her though college + she's a RN now I did some good in my life!

Bob, probably a good bit of the blame goes my way. I could have been more clear with my intensions and I should know how folks would read some of it. So actually the apology should be mine.

Bobbyf6b and Steve, sorry fella's but just because you have some "thought" of what hydroplaning should feel like, or because trikes use CT's, does not void the reality. Hydroplaning simply means the tire contact with the road surface is interfered with by the liquid, in most traditional arguments, rain water. The larger the contact patch the greater the interference. MC tires as a rule do NOT HP because of the very limited contact patch.
    Yes a CT has MANY sipes to channel water out, but it can't get it all out and particularly when you have a fraction of the weight applied. Obviously the NARROWER the CT you go with, the better to reduce the affect.
    So Steve you wouldn't KNOW or FEEL your bike hydroplaning necessarily. You might if you had to maneuver quickly or brake abruptly. Think of it like this: You hydroplane your car routinely, don't know it, but it is in common on both rain and snow. Lets use snow because it is an easier visual. You drive along on snow covered roads no problem but you need to make a left turn and you didn't adjust speed. What's the car do? Obviously it slides sideways as it tries to maintain a forward line even though you are trying to turn left. Can be a slight slide or severe depending upon speed, temps, tread design, tire width.
    Ideally with a CT on a bike you'd run pressure near the 32-35 psi which would have you ROLL from side to side on the tire like on a bike tire. Most folks running DS run MUCH lower pressures thus keeping the tire relatively flat on the road and allowing the sidewall flex to roll. Down sides to both and pro's to both. The point here is that ALL of these factors come into play, so know they do and account for them. I don't want you fellas feeling defensive about this discussion. It is from my position just discussion, stuff that should be known by anyone running DS. Ride safe fellas

And again MY apology if something I said offended you all.

To add levity to this thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Teach View Post

Lets use snow because it is an easier visual. You drive along on snow covered roads no problem but you need to make a left turn and you didn't adjust speed. What's the car do? Obviously it slides sideways as it tries to maintain a forward line even though you are trying to turn left. Can be a slight slide or severe depending upon speed, temps, tread design, tire width.

Ah....I drive an AWD Subaru Forester, with serious snow tires on snow wheels in the Winter time, so...I have no idea what this slipping and sliding is all about

Traction Observation

Teach:

Your observation on tire traction is "dead on". It correctly articulates what dynamics are coming into play when a "wider thread" replaces that of a "narrower thread" irregardless it be a CT or MT. A dear old friend, who never rode a cycle, had a simple tire observation. "Wide Walks On"/"Narrow Cuts Through", and that applied to snow or water. These is inherent risk involved with "Dark Side Riding" which you are personally aware of. When selecting a CT for a cycle application, that tire dimensionally, should mirror that of the M/T it replaces and that includes tire weight. Knowing all the facts before pulling the trigger on a C/T will not eliminate risk but will reduce it. Your input on tire weight was also correct and brought light to it's importance. It is another important factor which needs to be taken into account especially when folks are selecting "heavier run flat tires".

I thank you for your important and valued input

Bob

Stupid Honda dealer

I was at the Honda dealer last weekend. And i started talking to the salesman about my F6 and was telling him I was I was putting a General car tire on my F6B. He said no you don't want to do that Insurance companies will not cover you It's a loophole out for them!
    I was back up there today, Talking to the guys about Different bikes we have owned. I went wandering through the sales floor ran into the salesman again, Started talking about windshield and how the F6B Hondaline windshield tappered too much. Then we started talking about tires again Out of the blue he says (I hope everybody with a car tire on the bike crashes and dies). I was like WTF Thank you very much, I bought three Bikes from this shop. What an attitude !