STOCK Windshield Deflector -- Flip
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: STOCK Windshield Deflector -- Flip

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    This reminds me a bit of the Laminar Lip that I used on a previous wind screen (believe it was on a vstrom). It was quite effective but was held on with adhesive strips which I didn't like. Seems like there may be a couple of concepts here to direct air flow and to keep the flow "laminar". One approach, similar to that found on the Madstad, is to use a shield on top of another shield with a gap between to remove turbulence and achieve laminar flow. As far as I'm concerned, that is a proven concept. The other approach, similar to the Laminar Lip, is to shape the top of the shield so as to direct the air flow upward and hopefully, over the rider's head. With that summary, I'm wondering if the Phantom Flip could combine both of those elements in the design. To do so, I believe the Flip would have to overlap the stock shield a bit more. I really do like the idea of using mounting hardware to attach the Flip rather that some kind of adhesive or velcro. The concern I have there is whether mounting the hardware on the very top edge of an existing shield would provide a rigid enough base for the Flip. Attaching the Flip to the stock F6B wind screen might be OK due to how short it is. OTOH, attaching it to the top of a taller wind screen could be problematic. Referring to the Madstad for comparison, the base shield is very thick and robust and the mounting hardware is bolted on in two places, both low and high. This makes for a very rigid and robust setup. Of course, with that approach, holes have to exist in the base shield for mounting and I'm fairly certain the Flip attempts to avoid that. Anyway, the larger the Flip, the more rigidity of the attachment will become an issue, IMHO. This is where real-world testing can prove the concept.
    Ken (Hornblower)

When I bought my bike, and before I found the forum, I ordered a "Saeng" deflector hoping to do the same thing you are doing. Didn't work because of the curve built into the unit. To be fair, Saeng said it probably wouldn't work on the Gold Wing because of the width of the windscreen. It used adhesive instead of clamps also. I think this is a great idea, and with some tweaking and testing will work.

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    Ken,

You make several valid points ....

I have never seen a Laminar lip in person and have no experience with their products.

The purpose of this deflector is to still have a "Short" shield and have the deflection of a one-piece "Tall" shield. You will still be able to look over it yet not have the direct blast on your face.

The brackets are prototypes that are super strong, I found them in the automotive industry, they are being used in similar applications where the speeds of the vehicles reached 140 mph, however I am looking to possibly double their width (over-kill) and have 4 easily accessible allen screws on the backside of each bracket. You loosen the screws and the piece comes off. The thickness of the OEM plastic is thick enough to attach the brackets on to and the Deflector will have the same thickness.

My goal is to keep the "COOL" factor of the F6B short windshield and the air deflection of the taller shields. being able to look over the shield will be a plus.

Safety, convenience of use, effectiveness and durability are my pre-requisites.

Once I have a couple of test units, I will send them out for a couple of riders to test and give feedback.

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

Not to be a downer but there's already a company making these and they're adjustable.

http://www.firecreekacc.com/windbender_hp.htm

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbyf6b View Post
    Not to be a downer but there's already a company making these and they're adjustable.

http://www.firecreekacc.com/windbender_hp.htm

Bobby, It's not the same. That is a permanent modification with LARGE in my opinion "not very attractive" metal brackets.

This deflector of mine will be available in a 3, 4 and 5 inch variation and have a CLEAN look to it.

I don't like the looks of a "BILLBOARD" in front of my motorcycles standing straight up. That's just my personal taste.

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    I don't like the looks of a "BILLBOARD" in front of my motorcycles standing straight up. That's just my personal taste.
    You're thinking of the Madstad, the Windbender stays with the lines of the bike, but I understand if you want something different. More choices is always good.

I agree that the Flip is nothing at all like the Windbender. The Windbender is more like the Madstad in that it comes with a bottom and top part which replaces the stock screen completely. In addition, it can be raised or lowered electrically. Further, the WB has a recurve at the top so you definitely don't want to raise it high enough to look through it since that area is optically distorted. Phantom, I like your concept of keeping it minimal and clean while being able to simply attach it to your stock screen. Looking forward to how this project turns out
    Ken (Hornblower)

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    Phantom, I like your concept of keeping it minimal and clean while being able to simply attach it to your stock screen. Looking forward to how this project turns out

X2!

How fast is the green trash can? really the top bender look looks great.
    Deer Slayer
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it.

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Trying to wrap my noggin around what effect different top shield sizes / shapes would have in this application,,, (Makes my head hurt! LOL!!!)