STOCK Windshield Deflector -- Flip
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: STOCK Windshield Deflector -- Flip

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar

STOCK Windshield Deflector -- Flip

I have been trying to convince a windshield manufacturer to fabricate a FLIP version for me since March of last year ....

Steve 0080 was kind enough to try my prototypes and give me feedback. I was not successful in finding one that would work with me until March 2014 .... I have a windshield manufacturer that is willing to produce my version of a F6B Windshield extension.

I am STILL tinkering with the attachment points, the pivot point for the brackets might be relocated above the stock windshield instead of in front. I am currently using a existing shield from the manufacturer.

#1. The attachment clamps allows this to be used on any windshield
    #2. There is a Flip at the very top to revert airflow above your head
    #3. This windshield extension may come in a 4" or 6"
    #4. This extension will also have multiple holes that will allow you to raise it up or down 1"-2"
    #5. This extension has the versatility to be tilted forward or back for your needs
    #6. This extension will still allow air to enter from underneath to cool off the rider and not blow you off the bike
    #7. Final gap will be less then what you see in the pictures.
    #8. Final attachment hardware will be aluminum not plastic

See latest prototype (6" at center) ..... I don't have a clue on cost, that will be determined once I have a cost on the aluminum hardware.

Honest FEEDBACK is appreciated

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

I was hoping someone would come up with an idea like this.

May I suggest that it be made to attach to a baggershield?

I have done that, but screwed up my plastic while cutting. Works great, though.

So, I might be interested in the extension with either no holes, or just the three to attach to the baggershield. It would be simpler ....

Attachment 5360

Attachment 5361

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Interesting!!!!

Would a quick-attach/remove feature be possible?

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 98valk View Post
    I was hoping someone would come up with an idea like this.

May I suggest that it be made to attach to a baggershield?
    I could be wrong, but I bet it will have the capability to clip on to most any shield!

Quote Originally Posted by Scotrod View Post
    I could be wrong, but I bet it will have the capability to clip on to most any shield!
    You are CORRECT !!!!

I just replaced the above images with the cut down 6" version, take a look.

I think that a 5" might be perfect, it will be able to go up 1" and down 1"

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotrod View Post
    Interesting!!!!

Would a quick-attach/remove feature be possible?

currently have 2 simple allen screws on each side, loosen the screws and VOILA, it's off your original shield.

Any marks ??? Do the screws go into the original shield…..could this be done like the clamp like a Scala Rider where it does not mark the original?
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    Any marks ??? Do the screws go into the original shield…..could this be done like the clamp like a Scala Rider where it does not mark the original?

Steve, this system is a CLAMP style system with a rubber spacer between the shield and clamp, this system does NOT mark the original windshield. Below you will see the Forward and backward range on a 5.25" deflector that I cut down this morning.

PLEASE keep in mind that it LOOKS HUGE but it is not, I am using a STOCK F6B shorty windshield. It will give you the benefit of a FULL size windshield yet it is small and simple in design. This will allow all riders to adjust the angle and height to their liking, some will like the air to go over their head and some will like the air to just touch the top of their heads. ALMOST a one size fits most. I do not believe that there is anything on the market that allows the use of the stock windshield and gives the deflection of air like aftermarket systems that is a simple on-off and adjustable on the fly like this.

This reminds me a bit of the Laminar Lip that I used on a previous wind screen (believe it was on a vstrom). It was quite effective but was held on with adhesive strips which I didn't like. Seems like there may be a couple of concepts here to direct air flow and to keep the flow "laminar". One approach, similar to that found on the Madstad, is to use a shield on top of another shield with a gap between to remove turbulence and achieve laminar flow. As far as I'm concerned, that is a proven concept. The other approach, similar to the Laminar Lip, is to shape the top of the shield so as to direct the air flow upward and hopefully, over the rider's head. With that summary, I'm wondering if the Phantom Flip could combine both of those elements in the design. To do so, I believe the Flip would have to overlap the stock shield a bit more. I really do like the idea of using mounting hardware to attach the Flip rather that some kind of adhesive or velcro. The concern I have there is whether mounting the hardware on the very top edge of an existing shield would provide a rigid enough base for the Flip. Attaching the Flip to the stock F6B wind screen might be OK due to how short it is. OTOH, attaching it to the top of a taller wind screen could be problematic. Referring to the Madstad for comparison, the base shield is very thick and robust and the mounting hardware is bolted on in two places, both low and high. This makes for a very rigid and robust setup. Of course, with that approach, holes have to exist in the base shield for mounting and I'm fairly certain the Flip attempts to avoid that. Anyway, the larger the Flip, the more rigidity of the attachment will become an issue, IMHO. This is where real-world testing can prove the concept.
    Ken (Hornblower)

When I bought my bike, and before I found the forum, I ordered a "Saeng" deflector hoping to do the same thing you are doing. Didn't work because of the curve built into the unit. To be fair, Saeng said it probably wouldn't work on the Gold Wing because of the width of the windscreen. It used adhesive instead of clamps also. I think this is a great idea, and with some tweaking and testing will work.