Second gear clunk - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Second gear clunk

I seriously doubt anything is wrong with the tranny unless the one in your bike is a rare case..Honda has been building this engine/trans for many years and to my knowledge not many transmission issues at all....Watch your RPM's and pre-load the lever a little as this may help...Ride and enjoy the bike and good luck.....

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    I usually shift substantially lower than 3k in the lower gears.

Come to think of it,,, are there any 'high' gears in the 6?

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro66 View Post
    Be more positive load the pedal before shifting

Take up pressure on the gear shift

Drop revs take up pressure on the clutch and it will shift for you
    This.......totally agree with Pedro

Pedro has it right. With this tranny technique has a big impact. When I get lazy with my technique it reminds me with a clunk, non-positive engagement or less then sweet result.

still getting used to the bike! About 600 miles now! Yes I have noticed this too! Seems to be getting better,I would give it time! I will definitely try Pedro66 s technique.I stopped at an overlook the other day and another motorcycle of a different brand was just leaving he put it in first gear I thought the thing was going to break in half!

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by F6BLK View Post
    .I stopped at an overlook the other day and another motorcycle of a different brand was just leaving he put it in first gear I thought the thing was going to break in half!
    YEP!!! And I bet the 'other brand' was belt driven,,, Shafty's always seem to have a bit more CLUNK,,,,

Thank you Pedro, Jakec and JBnAZ. I took a long ride and practiced "preloading" the shift lever before pulling the clutch and it shifts up much, much better. Shift first, then pull the clutch, who would have thought?? A few times I forgot and it clunked and I was so mad I put it back in first and did it again!

Quote Originally Posted by Coop creek View Post
    Thank you Pedro, Jakec and JBnAZ. I took a long ride and practiced "preloading" the shift lever before pulling the clutch and it shifts up much, much better. Shift first, then pull the clutch, who would have thought?? A few times I forgot and it clunked and I was so mad I put it back in first and did it again!

You will shift faster and smoother this way, make smooth and steady progress through the gears
    Pete
    BikeMP3

http://WWW.BIKEMP3.COM

"What is now proved was once only imagined."
    William Blake

Could someone explain what this "preloading" technique is or exactly how you do it?
    Shifting is not smooth for me. Thanks in advance.

To upshift, stick your boot under the shift lever and pull up, to the point you are applying a steady force.
    Then, reduce throttle/RPM a little and pull the clutch.
    It will slip into gear.

On my old bike (Harley), I would start to pull my foot up at the same time I pulled the clutch, but this does not work well for me on the F6B, it wants your foot fully up and a firm, steady force already in place before pulling the clutch.

Still working on it myself.