Madstad, works as advertised!

Thread: Madstad, works as advertised!

Madstad, works as advertised!

After having tried a 13" Cee Bailey screen with vent and not been entirely satisfied (I would get a lot of chop and some buffeting at highway speed) I decided to go the Madstad route and ordered a 11" dark grey. Obligatory pics:

Attachment 5653Attachment 5654

I experimented with a few different height/angle combos before settling on about a 55 degree angle and about a 1-1.5" raise. Very pleased indeed. 80 mph on I-5 and no chop or buffeting. DADDY LIKE. On the backroads I tried dropping the shield all the way down to get more airflow into my helmet and to see higher over the windscreen and it worked nicely. Just popped it back up before I got on the interstate. I like how I could adjust it at a stop light, it's pretty fast and easy.

I do want to note that to get the best highway protection I had to raise the screen high enough so that it just starts to interfere with my line of sight. On the interstate I don't mind this, but I don't like it on the back roads. Fortunately, like I said, it's a piece of cake to pull over and change.

The only way this could be better is if it was electric with a switch on the bars. THUMBS UP!

Motozeke--Overall, I would have to agree with your observations. Like you, I previously had the 13" CB w/vent. Actually, I liked that wind screen a lot, especially the vent that gave very nice control of the air passing thru. Now that I have the 11" Madstad, it seems to offer some improvement. To put it in perspective, I have been able to lower my sound system volume by approximately one number. So, just by that indicator alone, the Madstad has reduced wind noise perceptively over what I had before. And, I really do like the adjustability of the Madstad. Currently, I'm running about a 60 degree angle and adjusting height just below my line of sight. Purely from an asthetic standpoint, the Madstad has a heavier look and feel to it so that would be about the only negative for me. Otherwise, the fit and finish is excellent and I'm very happy with it.
    Ken (Hornblower)

I think you will be very pleased with the MadStad. I really like mine.
    2014 F6B Deluxe - Yellow

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Still liking my 15!

Wife has a 13 on hers,,, Swapped 'em out, but 15 just works better for me than her 13,,,

EZ to adjust, no doubt about it. Up for superslab, lowered for Country roads,,,

I find the ~best air for me~ is when I match the rake of the base.

The angle of my dangle.....I changed positions on my brackets. Brought the shield closer to the base. I don't know if I would order the Madstad with the new brackets I saw that didn't have all this adjustment. That's a mistake on Madstads part as far as I am concerned.

I have the new brackets and find they have plenty of adjustment to get the correct setting for me and I like the appearance of them. I guess it is just a difference in what you like.
    2014 F6B Deluxe - Yellow

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    Motozeke--Overall, I would have to agree with your observations. Like you, I previously had the 13" CB w/vent. Actually, I liked that wind screen a lot, especially the vent that gave very nice control of the air passing thru. Now that I have the 11" Madstad, it seems to offer some improvement. To put it in perspective, I have been able to lower my sound system volume by approximately one number. So, just by that indicator alone, the Madstad has reduced wind noise perceptively over what I had before. And, I really do like the adjustability of the Madstad. Currently, I'm running about a 60 degree angle and adjusting height just below my line of sight. Purely from an asthetic standpoint, the Madstad has a heavier look and feel to it so that would be about the only negative for me. Otherwise, the fit and finish is excellent and I'm very happy with it.
    Hornblower, How is it in the rain? A big concern for me living here in Fl. I get to ride in the rain a lot .Every day in the summer. Does the rain come under the bottom and hit you in the face? How about over the top? Of course you get a bit from all windshields but some shove it into your face. The KW I'm using most of it blows up over my head...........Dickie

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    I'm running the 'middle' holes in the old brackets.... Not really sure if there is a 'wrong for everyone' setting,, too many factors involved. The new brackets do look a bit more 'purpose built' w/o all the extra holes,,,

I was hoping the wifes 13 would work on my bike, but, I haven't been able to make it 'work' like the 15 does.

Quote Originally Posted by dickiedeals View Post
    Hornblower, How is it in the rain? A big concern for me living here in Fl. I get to ride in the rain a lot .Every day in the summer. Does the rain come under the bottom and hit you in the face? How about over the top? Of course you get a bit from all windshields but some shove it into your face. The KW I'm using most of it blows up over my head...........Dickie
    Well, Dickie, I honestly don't know since my Madstad is new and hasn't been in the rain yet. I'm sure it will offer some protection but how much remains to be seen. Someone else with Madstad rain experience will have to join the discussion.
    Ken (Hornblower)

I adjust it all the way to the top in the rain, works great!!
    The less you bet, the more you lose when you win