proposed club ride/vacation. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: proposed club ride/vacation.

[QUOTE=bigbird;63512]Is this an open invitation or a closed ride?
    Early June would be great to do this ride before the hordes descend on the Badlands. I've been to Yellowstone, Beartooth, and the Theo Roosevelt Park out in extreme western ND and as you said, it's worth the trip.
    If it's open, I'm interested in riding down to join you.
    Let me know.[/QUOTE

Sorry BigBird, it is a closed club ride. The President of our riding club is basically inviting club members along on his vacation.lol

Quote Originally Posted by hiflyer View Post
    Chop, definitely a ride you have to make. If it was just 1 or 2 riders, I would say you were devoting too much time to Yellowstone, but with a group will be fine. Made that trip last year and ran out of things to see in YS and got back on the road. Enjoy
    The club is for the most part a adolescent adult party club,, I am sure their is ample time put aside to and reflect on the days ride.

Quote Originally Posted by VP8 View Post

As for yellowstone and custer park, there are buffalo there. For the most part, they are used to bikes and visitors, but I actually literally came face to face with a buffalo at yellowstone. So close the buffalo couldnt really figure me out while I was on my bike. He decided to approach me head on, and looked straight at me and my bike. I just kept staring at his big horns. Buffalo licked my headlight and continued to cross the rode. Later that day, there was a report that a heard of buffalo ran into several Harley riders. In short, just be careful around wildlife and enjoy the gorgeous senery.
    A Buffalo
    Yeah got em here (Water Buffalo)
    But a few years back took a corner, middle of the night, middle of no where and their in the middle of the road was a 7 foot Roo
    Road the bike right up to him, lent forward and slapped him on the nose. He never moved an inch.
    Ended up touching him with the front wheel. he left
    A couuple of years before that I hit one, Never came off but had to put the poor bugger down as I'd broken his hip

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    I have signed on to our Yellowstone club ride. Although it will probably be tweeked a bit before the ride, as it stands now, this is the proposed ride: The trip is remains largely the same though I've tweaked it a bit. I'm posting this so you can see what you're getting into!

Ride out to Black Hills. If we meet at Memorial Park in Shakopee, it is 575 miles to Keystone. A little less if we stay in south Rapid City. Two days riding the Black Hills. Then a travel day to Cody Wyoming (not Red Lodge), about 475 miles. Over half of this is Interstate Hwy cruising, the other scenic mountain highways.

Ride Chief Joseph Hwy and Beartooth Pass. Next day we enter Yellowstone via the east gate, explore and end up in West Yellowstone. Next day we explore the park more and see the Grand Tetons, back to West Yellowstone. Following day, explore the park some more, exit via Beartooth pass and head east on 94 at the end of the day to cut a few miles off the return trip.

We've shaved off enough miles of the return trip to get each day under 400 miles (akmost!) and allow us to visit Theodore Roosevelt National Park (North Dakota) which is known as the REAL Badlands and are supposed to be more impressive than the Black Hills Badlands. And finally home via I94.

As the ride plan currently stands, these are the tentative miles per day for the trip.
    Day 1 - 575 (travel day to Black Hills)
    Day 2 - 115 (easy day Central Black Hills)
    Day 3 - 185 (Northern Black Hills)
    Day 4 - 475 (travel day, Big Horn Mts, Cody, WY)
    Day 5 - 225 (Chief Joseph Hwy and Beartooth Pass)
    Day 6 - 180 (Explore Yellowstone Park, travel day to West Yellowstone)
    Day 7 - 190 (Explore Yellowstone and Grand Tetons)
    Day 8 - 315 (Explore Yellowstone, Beartooth Pass, travel day to Forsyth, MT)
    Day 9 - 350 (travel day, explore Roosevelt National Park Badlands, ending in Steel, ND)
    Day 10 - 410 (travel day - Home)
    All subject to change of course!

Their should be about 10 of us, give or take , I understand June is a good month, a lot of the babies are born and are out and about, I always wanted to hold a baby bear. lol If I don't do this ride I will probably never do it and regret it for the rest of my life.
    I'm originally from Wyoming and lucky enough to do this route many times. Each time I find spectacular.
    God's Country. Take time to stop for coffee or a beer in the small bergs. Meeting locals is priceless.
    Wear a helmet please, although not required.
    Jim
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul
    In Loving Memory of My Brother
    "Death Waits In The Dark"

2013 F6B Deluxe

Sorry BigBird, it is a closed club ride. The President of our riding club is basically inviting club members along on his vacation.lol
    No problem.
    Enjoy the trip and all be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
    No problem.
    Enjoy the trip and all be safe.
    No , no , no ! Do not gave up so easily . As soon as you present THEM your newly purchased gun , they will change their demeanor and chauvinistic attitudes . I'll be also armed , so together we will show THEM , how to treat foreigners .

Quote Originally Posted by Limoles View Post

No , no , no ! Do not gave up so easily . As soon as you present THEM your newly purchased gun , they will change their demeanor and chauvinistic attitudes . I'll be also armed , so together we will show THEM , how to treat foreigners .
    Havn't checked yet whether my CC permit is good their yet, the .45 cal xds could come in handy...

Havn't checked yet whether my CC permit is good their yet, the .45 cal xds could come in handy...
    If you have a Concealed Carry licence do you have to prove you can actually shoot the Handgun you carry ?????
    Like a simple double pop from the draw at 20 feet ?????
    Wouldn't it be wonderful if those that owned firearms actually hit what hey were shooting at.
    Personally I used to shoot a bit
    Beat an Olympic Gold medalist in trap once
    Used to be able to double pop from the draw at 20 feet in all calibers up to and including 45 cal
    In the military fired 5.56, 7.62, 308 and 50 cal rifles
    just believe that everyone who owns and fires a gun should hit what their aiming at

Quote Originally Posted by terrydj View Post
    If you have a Concealed Carry licence do you have to prove you can actually shoot the Handgun you carry ?????
    Wouldn't it be wonderful if those that owned firearms actually hit what hey were shooting at.
    Used to be able to double pop from the draw at 20 feet in all calibers up to and including 45 cal
    just believe that everyone who owns and fires a gun should hit what their aiming at
    The rules vary from state to state going from mandatory class & range time, to "No felonies? Here ya go."
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by terrydj View Post
    Agreed, Terry!
    Not to de-rail the thread, but to your question, it varies depending on where you get your certification from. Around my area, classes are held at the hunting/gun shops and are generally taught by active or former law enforcement instructors. In my experience those classes do a MUCH better job on the hands-on testing portion of the training. Involves moving to cover, working reloads, shooting from various positions/stances, using dom/non-dom hands, etc. I had a buddy who took his class at a large "armory"-type gun store and was taught by "NRA Qualified" staff, and from what he said, the hands-on was a joke. There were participants in his class that were unaware of the differences between an autoloader, and a revolver....that to me is somewhat frightening.