Calling all mechanical engineers - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Calling all mechanical engineers

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcPW View Post
    Do you know that originally the plan for the first GW (GW1000cc) was based on a flat six as we have today, but the ingeneers deemed it as too soon for this kind of technology, that it will scare motorcyclists away from Honda, so decided on a 4 cylinders... Honda created this 1000 cc just to beat Kawazaki who just made a 900cc motorcycle. (I forgot the model)

Also ….. PORSCHE has been making 911's with the flat six engine since 1964, long before Honda. Today the Porsche 911's still use the proven flat 6 boxer engine, Subaru is another. Our Beloved F6 is basically a automotive engine placed in a motorcycle frame.

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

Many, if not most, light aircraft have been powered by horizontally opposed engines built by companies such as Continental and Lycoming since way before I can recall and I'm 71. Even today they dominate the market until you get into the very upper end of it where you find turbo props and jets. The flat engine was around a long time before Honda started tinkering with it but when they did, they sure did a good job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    Also ….. PORSCHE has been making 911's with the flat six engine since 1964, long before Honda. Today the Porsche 911's still use the proven flat 6 boxer engine, Subaru is another. Our Beloved F6 is basically a automotive engine placed in a motorcycle frame.
    Not to confuse but a Flat Six Boxer Engine has six individual rod journals on it crankshaft. Our Flat Six F6B Motors are considered 180 degree with the crankshaft employing only three rod journals. Two connecting rods share the same journal! When one piston is at TDC the shared journal piston is at BDC

Quote Originally Posted by bob109 View Post
    Not to confuse but a Flat Six Boxer Engine has six individual rod journals on it crankshaft. Our Flat Six F6B Motors are considered 180 degree with the crankshaft employing only three rod journals. Two connecting rods share the same journal! When one piston is at TDC the shared journal piston is at BDC
    Yep, here is the flat 6 Boxer engine with 6 rod journals, But I must disagree with your view that the Honda Goldwing flat six only has three rod journals as you can clearly see in the pic below the one of the Boxer engine. Also that is why one side of the F6B engine is offset front to back due to the pistons not being evenly across with each other.
    Attachment 5812
    Attachment 5813
    http://www.maxsalvage.com/servlet/th...GL-1800/Detail

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Quote Originally Posted by BIGLRY View Post
    Yep, here is the flat 6 Boxer engine with 6 rod journals, But I must disagree with your view that the Honda Goldwing flat six only has three rod journals as you can clearly see in the pic below the one of the Boxer engine. Also that is why one side of the F6B engine is offset front to back due to the pistons not being evenly across with each other.
    Attachment 5812
    Attachment 5813
    http://www.maxsalvage.com/servlet/th...GL-1800/Detail
    I stand corrected! Not sure why I was under the impression the 6 had only three rod journals! Live and learn Thanks for the correct info and pic's of the cranks