Gradual Drift to the Right...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gradual Drift to the Right...

Gradual Drift to the Right...

Hi guys and gals, just wondering if anyone here's bike pulls to right a little when they let go of the handle bars. Does not seem to do it at all with hand touching bars, have less than 500 miles on bike, bike has no loaded cargo. Wonder if it is a bike quirk or a possible tire issue, everything seem to line up right, it is a gradual drift right but at all speeds. Bike had less than a mile when purchased. Thank you! FlatSixBagger from CLE OH

Quote Originally Posted by FlatSixBagger View Post
    Hi guys and gals, just wondering if anyone here's bike pulls to right a little when they let go of the handle bars. Does not seem to do it at all with hand touching bars, have less than 500 miles on bike, bike has no loaded cargo. Wonder if it is a bike quirk or a possible tire issue, everything seem to line up right, it is a gradual drift right but at all speeds. Bike had less than a mile when purchased. Thank you! FlatSixBagger from CLE OH
    Keep in mind that almost no road is perfectly flat and level, for drainage purposes, and that pretty much every straight road is going to slope to the right of the crown. That said, I haven't noticed the phenomenon myself. Have you installed a fork brace?

I have not installed one yet but I will look into it, you maybe right on the road crown, I will ride in the left lane (where I know it is safe to do so and see if it drifts left), thanks for the reply.

What's the point in taking your hands off the bars??..Seems a little risky and somewhat dangerous on a 845lb motorcycle....JMHO.....

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    What's the point in taking your hands off the bars??..Seems a little risky and somewhat dangerous on a 845lb motorcycle....JMHO.....
    How about to check the natural balance of your bike? It shouldn't be dangerous unless you decide not to grab the bars if something starts going South. If that happens, you have far more serious problems
    Ken (Hornblower)

+1 Hornblower

If when you let go of the bars do you have a throddle lock or is the bike decelerating? If slowing you are dealing with engine torque along with road crown. Also what's in your saddle bags, empty or full of STUFF?

Letting go of throttle (decel), saddle bags empty and with no cargo.

You're not crazy, mine does the same thing! (I thought I was crazy) I usually carry my heaviest cargo in the left saddlebag and/or plant my butt about an inch to the left. Does the trick. I can balance down the highway with the throttle lock on, like if I need to remove a glove and put it back on for example.

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FlatSixBagger View Post
    Letting go of throttle (decel), saddle bags empty and with no cargo.
    The bike is driving itself,,,

Empty, slowing down,, heck, it's just pullin over to the side thinkin it must be time to stop,,,