Safety Reminder I Received Last Saturday
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safety Reminder I Received Last Saturday

Safety Reminder I Received Last Saturday

Rode in the Sierra foothills last weekend with a group of about 12-15. Out in the boonies, just coming off the Stumpy Meadows Reservoir dam road and approaching the curve at it's end, a rider went down. Speed was about 40 and not a factor. VTX 1300 totaled. As she lay on the asphalt awaiting the Life Flight helicopter, the rider (an excellent rider by the way) made only one comment, "I only looked at the lake for a couple of seconds". A good reminder that the bike tends to go where we are looking. When rolling, it's about the ride, not the view.

I quit skydiving about a year ago but remember well one of the great safety cliches. "Don't ever think you're so good that you can't die doing this." I think that applies when I get on my bike too. I don't mean to be a downer but, hey, it's going to be a crazy weekend out there. Ride safe.

Safety

Thanks for the reminder !
    Motorcycling is fun and I have been doing it for over 55 years.
    Safe thoughts make it even better !!

Good reminder Bruce, it's easy to get lulled into the scenery, or the rhythm of the road and that momentary lapse in concentration is just enough.

Best wishes for Ms. VTX too, I sure hope she is alright.

Hopefully she have a speed recovery.
    Ok he's done

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by F6BPDX View Post
    Good reminder Bruce, it's easy to get lulled into the scenery, or the rhythm of the road and that momentary lapse in concentration is just enough.

Best wishes for Ms. VTX too, I sure hope she is alright.
    X2!!!

So easy to get complacent! I try to break up the ride / add stops / change pace (switch from 4 lane to 2 lane, etc) whatever one can do to 'shake' you back into awareness.

That, and another one I have trouble with,,, keeping the speed down. The longer I ride, the faster I go,,, Not a good combination!!!

My wife rarely asks me about what I saw on my ride because my comment is always "the road".

..and watch out for those tar-snakes. It doesn't have to be in the heat of summer to make them dangerous in a curve.

Hope she has a complete recovery.
    Please don't spook the road-sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by MSGT-R View Post
    ..and watch out for those tar-snakes. It doesn't have to be in the heat of summer to make them dangerous in a curve.

Hope she has a complete recovery.
    +1 on all that. The tar snakes are horrible in AZ.

Keep your eyes moving (Smith System) and give 4 wheelers the right of way. I almost got hit this morning in the bank parking lot by a teenager in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyf6b View Post
    +1 on all that. The tar snakes are horrible in AZ.

Keep your eyes moving (Smith System) and give 4 wheelers the right of way. I almost got hit this morning in the bank parking lot by a teenager in a hurry.
    I know what tar snakes are but have never known that they cause problems. Can you tell me what the danger is? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by CheckpointChcky View Post
    I know what tar snakes are but have never known that they cause problems. Can you tell me what the danger is? Thanks.
    they give me the feel that the front tire is sliding out (AZ snakes are aboot the worst i've slid across)
    What? Coffee ISN'T free?

Rode-map