Looking for some Tank Bag assistance

Thread: Looking for some Tank Bag assistance

Looking for some Tank Bag assistance

Having used a tank bag on my two previous bikes, I kinda feel like I'm riding naked without a tank bag / map case on my new F6B.
    It appears there isn't much of a selection for either the F6B or the GL1800.
    So, has anyone found a tank bag for the F6B?
    If so, how does it mount?
    I did come across one that may be worth a look, like to get some feedback before ordering this one.
    Has anyone used the E C Honda GL1800 Tank Bag with Map Pouch tank bag?
    According to the folks over at E C, this bag will fit theF6B.
    The mounting bracket seems like it was well thought out.

Attachment 5954

Have a tank bag that I have used on past bikes but will not find it's way to the 6, I miss it. Will be following your search, By the way, I work in Roseville and live in WI.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Have a tank bag that I have used on past bikes but will not find it's way to the 6, I miss it. Will be following your search, By the way, I work in Roseville and live in WI.
    I can't imagine how much you spend in fuel each month driving that many miles.
    Anyway, I did order the tank bag from EC. I post some follow up PICs once I get it installed.

Any thing you put on the paint of the F6B with out some sort of protective film between object and paint will destroy the the paint. Hoppnel has map pouch for the Wing will work. I had a River Road magnetic map pouch for my Valk that I attach to the cubby cover using metal knock outs from an electrical box. On the first trip just opening and closing the cubby the pouch contacted the paint between the fuel door and the cubby and messed up the paint. Infact I was getting marks on the top left side of the shelter edge. I was hanging my helmet by the chin bar on the right handle bar grip. The cable for the helmet headset was what messed up the paint. A rubber cord, who would a thunk, a rubber cord.

Here's a followup on my request to find a tank bag for the F6B.

Ok, I got my tank bag today. Was worried about the comment by Sorcerer, didn't want anything that would compromise the paint.
    I made a few glove box keys after reading the thread at: How to Make a Glove Box Key
    Using a glove box key in the gas tank lock prevents the bag from touching any paint as it rests on the top of the key.
    Anyway, the install was fairly straightforward and only took about 10 minutes.
    First you have to lift up on the instrument cowl just enough to reach under and push up on the ignition switch trim.
    Attachment 6137

With the ignition switch trim removed, you have plenty of access to two screws, one on each side of the ignition switch.
    Just remove the two screws, line up the bracket over the screw holes, then replace the two screws.
    Attachment 6138

From there just reseat the instrument cowl, and then replace the ignition switch trim.
    Attachment 6139

That's pretty much all there was to installing the bracket, about 10 minutes. The bag is a bit smaller that what I wanted but the design of the F6B limits the size of a tank bag. I had to keep telling myself to NOT compare the new F6B tank bag to my old Harro Elephantenboy tank bag that sat on top of the tank of my BMW R bike. The Harro tank bag held 40 litres, it could pretty much carry the kitchen sink if required.
    Attachment 6142

But it is a nice clean install, no straps and comes with a map case.
    The package comes with a carry strap and a rain cover.
    The tank bag attaches with a pin that slide through the holes on a plate mounted to the bottom of the tank bag. Would I do it again? Probably not, it was a bit expensive for the size.
    I can see that there maybe an issue with turning the handlebars all the way to one side or the other.
    Even though the bag will tip up high enough the fill the gas tank, it would probably be easier to pull the pin and set it aside while refueling.
    Next time I'd just find a GPS and be done with it. But for now I do have my map case and I don't have to worry about any damage to the paint

Thank you very much for the pictures and installation instructions!

I think the design and colours do match to the lines of the F6B - looking good!

Tank bag clearance

Hi F6B1911

I realise this thread is somewhat old but was wondering what your thoughts were on the Electrical Connection flip up tank bag.

Are you happy with it.

Has the gas tank door key fob kept the base of the bag off the paintwork ?

Did you have any issues with restricted full lock on the handlebars ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by norcliffe View Post
    Hi F6B1911
    I realise this thread is somewhat old but was wondering what your thoughts were on the Electrical Connection flip up tank bag.
    Are you happy with it.
    Has the gas tank door key fob kept the base of the bag off the paintwork ?
    Did you have any issues with restricted full lock on the handlebars ?
    Thanks
    Not sure I would recommend the tank bag, it is quite a bit smaller than I wanted.
    And it does interfere with locking the handlebars, you have to push it aside a bit to get the handlebars locked.
    The key fob is "almost" tall enough, but not quite! I put a small rubber bumper on the bottom of the tank bag to line up with the key.
    All in all, great idea by EC, but not well executed.