Intercom or Sena or ??

Thread: Intercom or Sena or ??

Intercom or Sena or ??

I'm new to the world of rider to rider intercoms. I realize the F6B has an integrated intercom system and it's my understanding that it is for rider/passenger com. I'm really interested in being able to communicate with another rider as well.

I've talked to a couple of people local who use the SMH-10 and they recommend it. Likely I would buy a pair of them.

Is there any others I should consider?

SENA

SENA will be shipping their new 20S units on June 9. If you're interested in the SENA, you might want to check that out. My wife and I use SMH 10's along with some of our riding friends, and we're happy with them. We'll be upgrading to the 20s models next Fall. I've also used CBs, but could never get good reception despite many fixes and antenna mods. Others I know are satisfied with their CBs. Good luck.

I used and have used the Scala for 5 years...Great product...now out with the G9+......Ebay is your best buy...

and no lighting bolts going wireless!!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rustysocket View Post
    I'm new to the world of rider to rider intercoms. I realize the F6B has an integrated intercom system and it's my understanding that it is for rider/passenger com. I'm really interested in being able to communicate with another rider as well.

I've talked to a couple of people local who use the SMH-10 and they recommend it. Likely I would buy a pair of them.

What is needed to use the f6 system?
    Is this system worth the effort and cost compared to wireless unites?

Richie

was at the J&M booth yesterday at Americade asking same question. The J&M wired intercom setup using the better helmet speakers was quoted at $281 installed in my Shoei but that only gets you rider to passenger. They also have a bluetooth setup that I believe allows one other person to join conversation.

I've also heard very good things about the SMH-10.

Not convinced Bluetooth technology is neither fully developed or good value for $ at 300.00 +/- a pair, I purchased a new complete J&M head set to try for $64.00, I also installed a passenger communication pigtail. (quick and easy btw)

After using the hardwired headset for a few months now:

-I like the quality of audio for the cost and it all works like it should on the bike.
    -I like that there's no charging requirements.

-I don't like the tether.
    -I don't like the closed communication to just the passenger, without other options.
    -I don't like the 1,000,000,000 to one possibility of becoming a lightning rod in a thunderstorm.

The tether thing really annoys me more than I thought it would. It's very inconvenient in a number of different ways.

I'm leaning toward the SMH-10 now. This option however, leaves your very nice Honda built in radio and communications system redundant. That's a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by unsub View Post
    I've also heard very good things about the SMH-10.

Not convinced Bluetooth technology is neither fully developed or good value for $ at 300.00 +/- a pair, I purchased a new complete J&M head set to try for $64.00, I also installed a passenger communication pigtail. (quick and easy btw)

After using the hardwired headset for a few months now:

-I like the quality of audio for the cost and it all works like it should on the bike.
    -I like that there's no charging requirements.

-I don't like the tether.
    -I don't like the closed communication to just the passenger, without other options.
    -I don't like the 1,000,000,000 to one possibility of becoming a lightning rod in a thunderstorm.

The tether thing really annoys me more than I thought it would. It's very inconvenient in a number of different ways.

I'm leaning toward the SMH-10 now. This option however, leaves your very nice Honda built in radio and communications system redundant. That's a shame.
    So if I'm understanding this correctly, I can get a tethered headset for myself and a passenger (primarily my daughter) and fit our helmets for about 130$. I need to install a rear passenger pigtail for about 60$(?) And I would need to plug a cable from my helmet into the bike for both of us.

Or for 100$ more I can get a pair of SMH-10's have the ability to communicate bike to bike with my friends and my passenger, my nav system , and my phone?

I will likely try a single tether but am leaning towards just getting the sena stuff. I'm happy enough with the audio from the speakers. (I have a tall windscreen), My primary goal is to be able to talk with my passenger.

Wonder if the price will drop on the smh-10 when the 20 hits the market?

Just some random rambling thoughts out loud here.

Sena BT

I bought the Sena because of the mag9 integration it works well. You can talk with other riders, sync to phone, BT GPS & radar. The speak quality is it's weakest link IMHO. Very tinny, very little bass. i also got the HW to BT transmitter you can connect to it the bike intercom, cb or other 1/8 phono jacked devices. 8 - 10 hrs talk time average

Great Info!

Just wanted to thank everyone that posts here! I just joined and have yet to find a thread that doesn't get answered.

Many Thanks,
    SmallPasture
    2014 F6B-BumbleBee

chatterbox
    The less you bet, the more you lose when you win