DEHYDRATION - VERY REAL...VERY SCARY!

Thread: DEHYDRATION - VERY REAL...VERY SCARY!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Cup holders aren't "cool" but I have one on each bike. I carry a bottle of water with me 90% of the time. If I'm going on a long ride I pack a small cooler with more drinks. I also like to ride with long pants and long sleeves. It keeps me cooler. And full finger gloves. The hot wind off the road will burn your fingers.

Summer in Phoenix is awesome.

Oh ya. It's a good idea to carry a plate of some kind to put your kick stand on. Kick stands are known to go right through asphalt out here. Even a smashed aluminum can will work in a pinch.

And the tar snakes. They're like riding on melted wax.

Artiste Extraordinaire Elin in So. Cal.'s Avatar
    Two words: Wet Vest. I have one, keep it wet and frozen in the freezer (so the water doesn't get "stinky" in the gallon plastic bag.)

And water. Lots. of. water.

In addition to that, I take on long day trips where the temps go into the 90s some quart baggies of cut up fresh fruit in with the frozen water bottle and wet vest, which goes in a soft-side carrier.

I take baggies of
    grapes
    watermelon
    canteloupe
    honeydew
    strawberries

Snacking on these really keeps you hydrated, and adds necessary micro nutrients and non-sugary-calories to your day.
    "If it moves, paint it."

I'm a big fan of cool vests, but this thing is the shiznit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A3PkTZ3qvQ

All of the above is why I ride at night in the summer time....went out Wed night for about 50 miles and needed a long sleeve sweat shirt...may go out tonight as well... Night time is the ony time!!!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

I notice that when I take long rides, I develope inner thigh leg cramps later in the evening long after I have finished riding for the day. Upon doing a little research, I found out that this can be a common problem among bikers. One suggestion was to drink Gatorade as evaporation can cause a depletion of electrolytes thus causing the muscles to cramp up. So, on my last trip, I downed two bottles of the lemon-lime Gatorade and I did not have one cramp at all. Conclusion? My cramps were caused by dehydration and loss of electrolyte balance. I will always carry Gatorade when I travel on the bike from now on.