New Front Tire Time - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Front Tire Time

Overall Mileage

Quote Originally Posted by seadog View Post
    I know that the big producer such as Honda and Suzuki trial test multiple sets of tires to get the right road handling ability out of their motorcycles. The OEM tires that come on your ride are usually the best they have found to go with the suspension and handling characteristics of your motorcycle.
    I for one never would change out an OEM set for a different tire. I ran Dunlops for 8 years on my 07 M109R when others changed them out and I never had the tires lose traction or do anything stupid on the various road surfaces. I ran curves hard with those tires without a whimper.
    These original stone on my new bike are doing exceptionally well running curve and just overall very good road manners on every road surface I have had them on. I again see no reason to fix what isn't broken and is working correctly for the job at hand. Just my humble opinion.
    With my OEM Stone delivering 16,643 miles of service and the Ax delivering 23,034 of service, the 6391 mile difference in wear solidifies my decision to deviate from the norm. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Motorcycles, engine oils, seats, handlebar geometry, lighting are all subject for "continuous improvement". IMHO tires are no different. Like you, I had a M-109R and used several brands of tires front and back trying to improve overall mileage. A 250 Avon Venom R delivered 12.5K miles wear but was like a surf board in the rain. I like to experiment and tires are just one avenue for discovery.

Ride Safe

bob109

Quote Originally Posted by seadog View Post
    I know that the big producer such as Honda and Suzuki trial test multiple sets of tires to get the right road handling ability out of their motorcycles. The OEM tires that come on your ride are usually the best they have found to go with the suspension and handling characteristics of your motorcycle.
    I for one never would change out an OEM set for a different tire. I ran Dunlops for 8 years on my 07 M109R when others changed them out and I never had the tires lose traction or do anything stupid on the various road surfaces. I ran curves hard with those tires without a whimper.
    These original stone on my new bike are doing exceptionally well running curve and just overall very good road manners on every road surface I have had them on. I again see no reason to fix what isn't broken and is working correctly for the job at hand. Just my humble opinion.
    Agree.

A misconception with comparing worn OEM tires to another brand; is that any new tire(s) ALWAYS make the bike feel and handle better. Thus "damning" the OEM tires.

More often than not though...

...if one put on new OEM tires; the bike will feel and handle better.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Exclamation

I would think that the cost of tires has a lot to do with the selection by Honda when they decide which one to use on new models. I really don't think they care how long they last.. I am sure safety and handling come into play but there are many tires that will provide those. After all Honda is a large company and their bottom line is important to them and their investors!

Quote Originally Posted by valkmc View Post
    I would think that the cost of tires has a lot to do with the selection by Honda when they decide which one to use on new models. I really don't think they care how long they last.. I am sure safety and handling come into play but there are many tires that will provide those. After all Honda is a large company and their bottom line is important to them and their investors!
    And that there is the truth of the matter, Honda like all manufactures look at the bottom line when it come to the "consumer disposables" like tires and only spend what they have to in order to meet basic safety requirements of their vehicles. Look how many cage dealer have "take offs" setting around their dealership from buyers who want a better grade of tire on their new vehicle when they drive off the lot. The unfortunate part is MC tires are so costly in comparison to cage tires for the life span we get out of them IMHO.

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

I'm sure your correct

They definitely watch the bottom line on cost but if their motorcycles started killing people because they put 10 cent tires on it isn't really a good thing to have come to light. Bridgestones are a top of the line tire use on many high performance pieces so I don't see as where they skimped on quality here. Like I said before Suzuki put Dunlop Elite3's on their M109R's and were very reliable and very good performers, I can attest to that fact as I used to put them thru there paces on the twisty roads around me here in Michigan. The Stones are performing admirably on my new 6. I still say quality has a lot to do with their decision along with price.

Just a thought but if Honda takes a bid for a set of tires that is $50 cheaper than another and they then sell 10k units the savings is 500k. Of course they want to use safe tires but after that $ is the second consideration.

shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Agree.

A misconception with comparing worn OEM tires to another brand; is that any new tire(s) ALWAYS make the bike feel and handle better. Thus "damning" the OEM tires.

More often than not though...

...if one put on new OEM tires; the bike will feel and handle better.
    You are exactly right. I'm a tire dealer and thats something I've known for years. New tires make everything new , for a while.

Worn Tire Comparison

Trying to stay on the topic of my personal experience with two different front tires used on my 6, I'm adding some side by side photos of the OEM Stone with 16,643K miles (L photo) and the Bridgestone Battlax with 23,034K miles (R photo). The OEM Stone shows more center wear than that of the Ax, which exhibits off center wear due to its duel compound construction, hard center, soft off center! There's no mistaking that the Ax is more durable by virtue of its longevity. Both tires were driven on the identical roads throughout their mileage life's and the air pressure for both tires was maintained at 40 PSI. Since day one of ownership I've routinely used compression/engine braking which would be even across both tire usage. With 39,677 miles on the clock that practice has worked well for both the front tires and my front brake pads IMHO.

The photos!

DSC_0004.jpgAttachment 16871

I love facts! They tend to diminish fiction, conjecture and the guessing game! Coming from a Industrial and Quality Background I've always had a love for "Destructive/Non-Destructive Testing" and by virtue of our sport we do that every time we ride! As both a rider and motor head I really enjoy compiling actual "hands on data" and sharing it with those who have the same interest.

Ride Safe

Bob109

Quote Originally Posted by bob109 View Post
    Trying to stay on the topic of my personal experience with two different front tires used on my 6, I'm adding some side by side photos of the OEM Stone with 16,643K miles (L photo) and the Bridgestone Battlax with 23,034K miles (R photo). The OEM Stone shows more center wear than that of the Ax, which exhibits off center wear due to its duel compound construction, hard center, soft off center! There's no mistaking that the Ax is more durable by virtue of its longevity. Both tires were driven on the identical roads throughout their mileage life's and the air pressure for both tires was maintained at 40 PSI. Since day one of ownership I've routinely used compression/engine braking which would be even across both tire usage. With 39,677 miles on the clock that practice has worked well for both the front tires and my front brake pads IMHO.

The photos!

Attachment 16870Attachment 16871

I love facts! They tend to diminish fiction, conjecture and the guessing game! Coming from a Industrial and Quality Background I've always had a love for "Destructive/Non-Destructive Testing" and by virtue of our sport we do that every time we ride! As both a rider and motor head I really enjoy compiling actual "hands on data" and sharing it with those who have the same interest.

Ride Safe

Bob109

Wonder what that Bridgestone Battlax would've looked like if you squeezed out the additional 1.5k on it; as you had remarked in post #9 above; in this thread?

In my experience, tires start to wear very quickly as the tread approaches end of life.

I think you've done a very good comparison and I would be in agreement that the Bridgestone Battlax is of a better value; due to the positives you have put forth; and pontificated on.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Wonder what that Bridgestone Battlax would've looked like if you squeezed out the additional 1.5k on it; as you had remarked in post #9 above; in this thread?

In my experience, tires start to wear very quickly as the tread approaches end of life.

I think you've done a very good comparison and I would be in agreement that the Bridgestone Battlax is of a better value; due to the positives you have put forth; and pontificated on.
    Pontificated! Gee! Thanks for the flattery