Should I upgrade o a Big Daddy wing? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should I upgrade o a Big Daddy wing?

I believe the reason you see more mature people on Wings, BMW Rt and Harley Ultra Classics is they cost over $20,000, most people raising a family can't afford that. By the way before you buy that BMW check out the maintenance cost [ valve adjustment every 6000 Mi.] and good luck if you break down in Kansas or many other states. Dealers are far and few between. The only bad thing about owning a Wing, as far as touring, there is no better bike to step up to.

I pulled the trigger and purchased a Metallic Blue new 2013 with ABS tonight and had to say goodbye to my much loved F6B.

Thanks for the input, and I am going to missed the head turning as I rode by on the F6B.

Looked at the BMW and I am a low maintenance kind of guy, and love the Wing features, even if I'm 45 on an old mans bike. Lol

Cheers
    "Ride Shiny Side Up"

I'm not far from being an "Old Man". Some mornings I feel like I'm already there!
    I could see a having full Wing in my garage, but it would be difficult giving up my F6B. I'd have to keep both. Sweetie is toying with getting her license. She'd look good driving my "old" F6B... just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
    I have had my F6B for over a year now and have 14,500 miles on it. This is compared to 22k in six years on my M109R that I sold to get the F6B.

What I found out doing the Big Money Rally is I like the long distance rides. Looking at what it would costs to add, nav, xm, radar, and it would be nice to have cruise I am thinking about getting a Full Gold Wing.

For those of you who have had both, what kind of differences would I notice. Such as higher CG, front wheel wobble which I have heard about, etc?
    ROOM..More Leg Room on F6B

I have some startling news for you wihpper snappers. When the age of 70 rolls around, riding distance tends to diminish. The F6B is one great transition to the riding time extender, the trike. The only draw back is the red is too damn fast for old farts.

Riding a Goldwing is like opening a can of testosterone.
    Go Green - Recycle Congress!!!!

After two full Wings, I went to the F6B. I am definitely, at 65, in the old mans category but really enjoy the nimble handling and power this version offers over its big brother. I have not missed the heated seats, foot warmers, reverse, or cruise control. I also like the fact that I have never experienced the dreaded Wing front end wobble on the F6B that existed on my two full Wings. I will most probably go back to the full Wing when I decide to extend my riding years by going to a trike. I just hope that is many years in the future.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've not ridden a Goldwing, and not yet received my F6B, so can't comment from experience with those two bikes.

However, I did own a BMW R1200RT for a couple years. It's tall and a little top heavy, but rides a treat and has lots of the bells and whistles that make it a superb piece of machinery. The new 1600 is even more so, I hear. But before that I also had a BMW R1150R, nearly the same engine, less stuff, not so tall. Before I had the RT, I added a bunch of stuff to the R to make it more like an RT. Removable bags - which were great - top case, windshield, gps, etc. It was a capable touring bike that way, though lacking in some of the comfort features of the RT. I thought that was what I wanted, and I traded it up to get the RT, but regretted the decision after a few hundred miles or so. The RT was a great touring bike, but the R was a great bike. What you gain in specialization, you lose in utilitarianism.

I think (I hope!) the same can be said for the F6B, which is what drew me to it in the first place. I've wanted a Goldwing for as long as I've owned motorcycles, but always rode something a little smaller and more affordable for the budget. Not needing or wanting to ride two-up, the F6B really appealed to me. The Goldwing is a superb touring bike, no doubt about it. But the F6B can be made to be nearly as complete a touring bike as the full size wing. Everything that separates the two bikes, with the exception of the reverse gear, and air bags, can be added to the F6B if you want. Navigation, some kind of cruise control, top case, heated seats, etc. If you want it. The beauty of the F6B is that it's not so specialized that you can't make it into what you want it to be. Which is part of the fun of having a bike in the first place.
    2013 Honda F6B custom orange
    2009 Kawasaki Versys aka "Dr Doom"
    2009 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Stormtrooper"
    2003 Suzuki Burgman 400 "Yoda"

Change?

Oh My God !
    What to do ?

The main reason I down/up graded to the 6 is the fact that the full wing I had was constantly wanting to stop for pie!!! I don't care for Pie!!
    "Great Britain's a great country, but it's not an idea ... that's how we see [America] around the world, one of the greatest ideas in human history." Bono

I ended up with my f6b because a buddy of mine bought a new level one wing and told me to ride it around the block. I came back and told him that ride just cost me a bunch of money.The very next weekend I got the f6.... I wanted a full wing but at 48 then the kid in me made me get the f6b. And I already have a trailer to go behind so I have more storage than I need.