Air filter replacement
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Air filter replacement

Air filter replacement

Since i have all of the bodywork off the bike, I decided to upgrade to a K&N air filter. At that point I was only at the beginning stage. Sometimes you just have to scratch your head at the way some of these bike are engineered. It is as almost someone started with a filter and designed a bike around it. The rest of the shelters, air ducts, ECM and the top of the air box still stood in the way. You would think for a maintainace item, they would make it more accessible. And of course, I lost a 8mm socket down the outside of the air box. Hopefully it finds a firm place to stay on top of the engine. I see nothing that moves in there, so I should be ok.

Yep....that is Honda's way of laying the wood.....
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    There's a vid on you tube of the whole process. Doesn't look like a whole lotta fun, but depending on how much one rides, it may only be a once a year kind of event.

How often does the manual say to replace the filter?

Quote Originally Posted by Scotrod View Post
    There's a vid on you tube of the whole process. Doesn't look like a whole lotta fun, but depending on how much one rides, it may only be a once a year kind of event.

How often does the manual say to replace the filter?
    I guess Honda figured the dealers service departments could use the work since most of the bike is otherwise maintenance free.

Quote Originally Posted by RoughRider View Post
    I guess Honda figured the dealers service departments could use the work since most of the bike is otherwise maintenance free.
    There might be a lotta thruth in that statement, it sure seems that way at least

done a few of em -- man what a pain for a filter -- mine is NOT getting changed unless I know it is dirty (changing time/miles wise the few I have done came out looking almost new)

also I think we charge like 2 hours or less to change it -- I guess you could get to that point eventually but the 1st one I did took me 4+ hours and that's with the book telling me how to get there. so, there's no great profit in it for the techs

Filter

That is the reason I change them at 25k. No problem on any GL1800. Still looked good when removed. F6B should be a tad faster as there is less stuff on top of filter.

I change mine every 25000 miles as well always look pretty clean,
    change some at 40000 miles just a little more than 50 percent block,
    it all depends on the air quality as to how long the filter life would be,
    and it is not a bad job after your first or second time or if you forget to
    plug up something then it real quick job I forgot this magnetic socket
    can be you best friend on small screws I use them daily at work.

Quote Originally Posted by yellow rex View Post
    I change mine every 25000 miles as well always look pretty clean,
    change some at 40000 miles just a little more than 50 percent block,
    it all depends on the air quality as to how long the filter life would be,
    and it is not a bad job after your first or second time or if you forget to
    plug up something then it real quick job I forgot this magnetic socket
    can be you best friend on small screws I use them daily at work.

And that...is the reason why I change my OEM air filter AND the original spark plugs at 25,000 miles....and install a K&N air filter, and NGK Iridium spark plugs, so that I do not have to do either of those again until the bike hits 100,000 miles on it. I am VERY comfortable with leaving the K&N air filter and the NGK Iridium spark plugs in this bike for a total of 75,000 miles. Done it 3 times already on previous 1800 Wings, and I will do it again on this bike.